Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I don't suppose anybody would know whether an updated MBP would include a couple of USB ports that are capable of powering the new aluminium keyboard like the iMac does.?

I currently use the new keyboard with a 3 year old G4 PowerBook and I have the mouse receiver plugged into the keyboard. When I plug my 2GB thumb drive into the keyboard at the same time, I get the popup message saying that I have to plug it into the laptop due to the keyboard not being able to power it.

If Apple did this, It would certainly give me impetus to purchase a new MBP when they are updated.

I have had the same problem. Sorry dont know the answer to your question... but I DO have a gripe...
Why doesn't Apple put a full keyboard with number pad on the 17" MBP?
I use num shortcuts all the time and it really sux that I have to carry around a separate keyboard just to use my programs efficiently :mad:

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
It used to be fun this no-information mentality of Apple. Now it has become annoying. Most of the industry tells their customers about the update plans. It really sucks that Apple makes their customers play Russian roulette when buying their computers

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Here's what I see as most likely in the next MBP update which I believe will be in January at Macworld:

Definite Updates:

1. Penryn processors (even up to 2.8Ghz because they run cooler than what we have now)

2. 17" LED Display

3. New keyboard (unfortunately)

4. More HDD space

5. Magnetic lid/clasp

Possible Updates:

1. Blu-Ray as an option

2. Black color as an option

Not happening:

1. GPU change (although I hold out the slightest possibility for a 512MB RAM upgrade I doubt it to happen and most likely won't do very much anyways)

2. Solid-State RAM Drives (the performance is lackluster, they are very expensive, and are definitely NOT mainstream for the macbook pro)

3. Montevina (will happen in 2 updates, but next update will get "Santa Rosa Refresh" chipset whatever the hell that is)

Just my opinion, but the saddest thing is the force to the new keyboard which I'm almost positive will happen.

neversleepalone

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2007
Here's what I see as most likely in the next MBP update which I believe will be in January at Macworld:

Definite Updates:

1. Penryn processors (even up to 2.8Ghz because they run cooler than what we have now)

2. 17" LED Display

3. New keyboard (unfortunately)

4. More HDD space

5. Magnetic lid/clasp

Possible Updates:

1. Blu-Ray as an option

2. Black color as an option

Not happening:

1. GPU change (although I hold out the slightest possibility for a 512MB RAM upgrade I doubt it to happen and most likely won't do very much anyways)

2. Solid-State RAM Drives (the performance is lackluster, they are very expensive, and are definitely NOT mainstream for the macbook pro)

3. Montevina (will happen in 2 updates, but next update will get "Santa Rosa Refresh" chipset whatever the hell that is)

Just my opinion, but the saddest thing is the force to the new keyboard which I'm almost positive will happen.

i really hope the dont slaughter the keyboard, but i don't think apple would release a subpar product.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Really? Can you tell me what Dell's 6 month road map is? How about Gateway? Compaq?

True, those companies do not tell customers exactly what their next moves will be, but they also do not have the same rigid update cycles that Apple has. When Intel announced SR, every major PC maker aside from Apple had at least two notebook models using the chips within a week. It took Apple nearly a month to update the macbook pros. In this way, it's a bit more unpredictable, but no more clairvoyant either.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
True, those companies do not tell customers exactly what their next moves will be, but they also do not have the same rigid update cycles that Apple has. When Intel announced SR, every major PC maker aside from Apple had at least two notebook models using the chips within a week. It took Apple nearly a month to update the macbook pros. In this way, it's a bit more unpredictable, but no more clairvoyant either.

Thank you for responding to him/her. That's exactly the point. Additionally, you do see on sites such as Engaget etc about a month ahead of time what new models are coming from manufacturers. When I contact Lenovo/IBM in the past, I have gotten reports as to when the latest ThinkPad will be released with some technology and when I could order it. Apple, uh, the day it releases lets the customer know.

Just saying, it would be nice to have at least an idea on where things were going with Mac hardware and some sort of upgrade cycle regularity. And no, Mac "world" events don't count as a schedule.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Thank you for responding to him/her. That's exactly the point. Additionally, you do see on sites such as Engaget etc about a month ahead of time what new models are coming from manufacturers. When I contact Lenovo/IBM in the past, I have gotten reports as to when the latest ThinkPad will be released with some technology and when I could order it. Apple, uh, the day it releases lets the customer know.

Just saying, it would be nice to have at least an idea on where things were going with Mac hardware and some sort of upgrade cycle regularity. And no, Mac "world" events don't count as a schedule.

That's why this site exists. Apple isn't every company nor should it be. The company I work for isn't like every company, just a fact of business. If you want to know what Apple will be doing in the next few months do what you did with Lenovo, research. Go online and find out. It's the information age, finding facts or rumors about anything isn't hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.