The Next Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chris.Earl101, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Chris.Earl101 macrumors newbie

Chris.Earl101

I'm looking at upgrading from my Macbook to a Macbook Pro (Around January 2011) but one thing that niggles me about this upgrade is that the GPU's on the MBP's are abit weak for a £1000+ laptop i would like a better GPU. . . . What GPU would you guys think would be in the next revision of the MBP ?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's anyone's guess. You can't take anything you see here for fact, but sticking with their recent trend of NVidia cards, likely whatever the update of the 330 is.

3. Chris.Earl101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris.Earl101

Yeah i know i'm just hoping to get a rough idea =]. I don't see why apple compromise graphics on the MBP's the iMac's are getting there now thou i just wished the MBP's were too.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Most likely space and heat concerns like the iMac.

5. robertbrian23 macrumors member

so we can see MBP on ATI then... :)

6. exigentsky macrumors regular

The crappy underclocked graphics card is what made me hold-off too. I hope they update it on the 20th.

7. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

Well, to keep the current thermal specs they will probably use a next-generation mid-range card. That would be either ATI 65xx or 67xx, or Nvidia 43x or 44x.

You can feel disappointed if you see ATI 63xx or nvidia 42x.

Hope this helps. :D

68xx, 46x, 48x are out of the question, they are simply too hot to handle.

8. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

MBP will be updated with 2nd gen iCore CPUs (Sandy Bridge)
    late jan/early feb

GPUs will remain NVidia (but they'll be better than now)

If you'll wait three month you won't be disappointed

9. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i agree with this guy.

but id also hope apple puts USB 3.0 in the MBP :/

10. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Lol.

Don't bet on it. We had to wait forever for apple to come out with arrandale. I bet they will be just as slow with sandy bridge.

I would also settle for a price drop on the mbp15. I really wish they would either get rid of that worthless DVD drive or at least upgrade it to Blu Ray. If getting rid of it would drop the weight by half a pound and if it would allow for a tiny bit more battery life, I would actually consider buying one at the current prices.

The GPUS will almost certainly be updated to the new 435m or similar. This is roughly a 20% boost over the current MBP. The upgrade on the 13" is more significant though, going to the 400 card is about a 50% improvement, so I would bet that apple will be more likely to update the 13 than the 15/17 now.

A 1440x900 MBA with a 2ish GHZ arrandale and a 415m would completely decimate the MBP. I would be surprised if the new air didn't have a 400 series card, and i would also be surprised if apple lets their ultraportable outperform their pro machine.

11. fs454 macrumors 68000

good god they need to update the design. I will not buy a Macbook Pro that looks exactly like the one that all of my friends have who bought it in 2008.

12. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Update, update please!

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

be careful what you ask for. Back in 2008 people wanted change for the sake of change. Look what we ended up with:
    [​IMG]

14. pazz macrumors regular

I bet they shoot disappointingly for the 425. Seems to be showing it's face quite a bit in other windows machines.

15. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Which ones?

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well since no one here works for apples, your not going to get any "rough" guesses or estimates or anything more than someone guessing off the current cards. If you people would realize this and stop asking along with when the next refresh will be the forum would be much nicer...

17. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

How many of these threads do we really need? Only Apple knows when the MBP will be refreshed. Anything else is pure speculation.

If you need a MBP just buy it and enjoy it. The current line-up is great and certainly powerful enough for most users.

18. kingsal macrumors member

Who's counting?

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

The other design was around since the beginning of the powerbook days. Stop whining, it's fine as it is.

20. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

:rolleyes:

21. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Too many to count, should just put this at the top of every board...

-NO ONE HERE WORKS FOR APPLE, STUPID QUESTIONS = AUTO-REMOVE-

22. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

When? Not before January

GPU? Between the GT 420 and GT 440 if updated and they stick with Nvidia. OTOH AMD is going to start shipping Radeon 6000s this month while Nvidia refreshes in 2011 (more likely 2012 considering what they did with Fermi).

USB3? Sandy Bridge Chipset supports it so we might have it

If Apple gets rid of the Super Drive we would see (one of these): Longer Battery Life, More Powerful or Lighter. Especially in the 13"

I doubt we will see Liquidmetal in this design, but we very well might in the next refresh

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Feb is my bet - that is when they always have done it in the past. late feb.

we will have to wait until benchmarks, but the 6000s are not THAT much more of an improvement but certainly draw a lot less power :) we know apple is all about battery life blaa blaa so its a high possibility. the option to choose would be nice though ;) (ati or nvidia)

possibly, but i dont think so - i dont think there is a large enough market for USB3.0 to force apple to change. 80% of external HDDs are still USB2.0 based and 99% of users just dont care about speeds.

HA! i highly doubt this will happen - would be nice though :)

24. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotta agree there. I think it should be an option though, like the mini server. Personally, I actually use mine a bit, but for those who don't it would save a lot of whining.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it would be wonderful - could probably take the battery life up to 15hrs! but then you get all this extra junk happening, TOO many options. apple is far to simple for that and i dont think they will implement it. it will either be all or none (e.g. superdrive forced in, or no superdrive at all).