The Next MBP coming this June will have Face ID

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetfreaky, Apr 4, 2018.

?

The Next MBP coming this June will have Face ID

1. True

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. No- it won't be until the fall.

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

True or will we have to wait until later in the fall?

2. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Quite possibly neither. As in... spring, summer or fall, it may not necessarily get Face ID.

3. sputnikBA macrumors 6502

I don’t see this until next year at the earliest (if the don’t save it for the alleged ARM Macs). Any manufacturing capacity they have to make faceID units is going to be used for this years iPhones and iPads as priority.

4. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

5. jerryk macrumors 601

That seems like something they could do for the toughbar models since they already have the security enclave from the watch.

6. zmon macrumors regular

zmon

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There will be no facid imo, and we'll see an update this June.

Release schedule (summer/fall) is separate to what apple will include in the MBP. Apples and oranges.

8. narcolpetic-haze macrumors newbie

Ahh please no, it'll just add to the price tag. And laptops don't usually need to be locked and unlocked a hundred times a day like a phone, so having it constantly scanning your face isn't necessary.

9. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

God, I hope they don't add Face ID. Already got that ridiculous Touch Bar; don't need to add anymore useless features to the MBP.

10. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Agree with the last couple of posters. I am a mild fan of face ID on the phone, I see no need or benefit for it on a MacBook.

11. leman macrumors G3

No chance for that, sensor is too big. Unless you want displays with the thickness of an iPhone. Also, why June?

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I doubt they can fit the infrared 3D mapping cameras in the thin lid of an mbp so it won’t come at all this time round in my opinion.

13. eddjedi macrumors 6502

Sorry to all the people who think there's going to be a next-generation Macbook Pro any time soon, you're kidding yourselves. The current model/design is barely a year old, you're going to get periodic speed bumps at best for the next couple of years. Keep dreaming.

14. afir93, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018

afir93 macrumors 6502a

I find it a bit curious that you assume that if we don't get Face ID in a June refresh, we would get another refresh just 3 or so months later in fall, so much that you don't even include the option that neither will be the case.

I'm gonna go with "neither". The 2018 MBPs are generally expected to be "just" a spec bump (which is good and well in itself because of how large the jump from 2 to 4 cores and from 4 to 6 cores is respectively), possibly with some other minor changes like an improved keyboard, longer battery life etc. A larger design change like the inclusion of Face ID is pretty much out of question, as is the release of a new MBP with Face ID just 3 or so months later. I'd expect Face ID to debut in the MBPs in 2019 at the very earliest, maybe not until 2020 which would be the year in which a redesign would be due if Apple continues their 4-year-redesign cycle.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not for nothing, but I have a SurfaceBook and its facial recognition works well, in that I open the laptop up and it unlocks. I can see the allure of such technology.

16. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Granted, but for me anyway, an added layer of complexity and cost is not worth one time reaching over to the touch ID sensor per use.

As other posters have commented, it's not like the use case for phones, which are unlocked numerous times per day for often short periods of time.

Wouldn't improve my user experience much.

YMMV

17. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Agree, I don’t think we will see Face ID on the Mac for a few years yet, it’s rumoired to be coming to the iPad Pro this year. As for June announcements I think we could see the following at WWDC

iPad Pro with redesign and Face ID
    MacBook Pro spec updates
    The new MacBook 13” announcement and release with a price drop to the 12” possibly?
    AirPower released

I think it could be the same as last years WWDC which was great, it had both software and hardware updates.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm just hoping we'll see a new keyboard for the MBP.

19. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

If you want a new design I doubt that will happen but they may evolve and improve the current keyboard.

20. jerryk macrumors 601

Agreed. I have a SurfaceBook also and the facial recognition is very nice. Very fast and works without any explicit effort (button pushing, typing, etc.) on the part of the user. It just works when you look at the screen. And is arguably more secure than a password.

21. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

June is WWDC. Just a guess really. If they just do new processors- the update could be any time in late April or May. If there is a big hardware change it will take them longer to get a change out.

Also I was really surprised to see all the comments on FaceID that were extremely negative. I actually really like it. I wish it was faster but I felt that way about Touch ID the first iteration also. It basically allows you not to have to use passwords. I feel like Apple is gonna push the ball forward and put it on ALL devices just like they did with TOuchID.

The sensor itself will eventually get smaller and I think if there is room on a 5 inch phone there is on a 15 inch computer.

22. eddjedi macrumors 6502

It will be interesting to see if the next MBP refresh (whenever it is) includes an updated/improved keyboard. If not, it would indicate the problems are not as wide spread as the scare mongering on here would have you believe (mine is still fine and it's over a year old now.) I'm not saying there have been no problems with it, but only an update would prove Apple consider it wide spread and serious.

23. leman macrumors G3

They usually keep designs for 4 years. I doubt they'd break the cycle now — why would they?

The sensor will get smaller, but that will not happen this year, and probably also not next year. And its not about the size — its about the thickness. A Mac laptop display is at least 5 times thinner than the iPhone...

24. jerryk macrumors 601

I am interested to see this also. To me the keyboard reliability is a consideration on whether to purchase a 2018. I will not be a first day buyer of the 2018 design. And will base my decision to upgrade from the 2015 on reports of the keyboards reliability. A day or two of downtime could cost me as much as the MBP.