The Next OS in Desktops

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBH928, Jun 27, 2013.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

So Mavericks is coming out soon and I am excited for it , but at 10.9 the next step is 11 and we all remember the huge step from 9 -> X .

While I always think there is going to be room for improvements, I wonder where would Apple takes us next. We have been on the X platform for a long time now, 12 years. That is the same period between System 6(B&W) and OS X.

Do you think Apple will surprise us with a whole new OS for the mac?
    Do you think they will use the Microsoft approach of trying to unite the Desktop with iOS?
    Or do you think Apple will just stay on 10.9 updates until a technological breakthrough happens that shows us where to go next in the desktop world?

I really can think a lot of things I would like on mobile devices but I am not sure where we are heading with desktops as it seems all too good already

2. simsaladimbamba

Apple has said, that the Mac OS X or OS X architecture and brand will stay for two decades, and that was at the start of the current millennium.

Since Apple also stated, they will be using Californian locations for their next names, it is safe to guess, that Apple will keep on using the OS X moniker, though since OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion they abandoned to use the version numbering in advertisement of its OS.

And Mac OS X or OS X can go to 10.10 and 10.11 and so on. There is no need to go from 10.9 to 11.

3. SanJacinto macrumors regular

SanJacinto

I can't wait for 10.10 and 10.11.
    OS X has to remain! ;) and that's what I got when watching WWDC 2013.

4. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I have been following Apple for a long time and read about them daily for almost more than a decade now , I dont recall them mentioning OS X to be a 2 decade system , its very hard to make such a statement at the time when computers using floppies were still around.

Any way , I guess they will keep on going with the 10.XX thing because personally I do not see what is the next step and it is almost as good as it gets.

I thought it was some how an unwritten rule that every decade we get a new OS. there was Win3.11 -> 95 , and now 95-> W8 (yes I consider XP,7,Vista all upgraded versions some how) , and we have OS9 -> X .

I would love to hear what others would like to see in a future OS though. Personally I would like to see:
    1-Installingn/uninstall with out restart, no files "residue" after deletion
    2-NEW gui system than the old windows system.
    3- Auto backups , without any setups.
    5-Easier networking

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't think OS X will ever get another dramatic change. It doesn't need to anyway. A lot of us seem to forgotten that we still use computers because it's a better experience overall. There's more power, it's more efficient, and any single one of them has a better longevity than any of the tablets out there in the market.

Apple doesn't want to alienate the customer base that is the root of their company. They need to be king in an industry where everyone else is throwing it all away. Microsoft has no future with Windows after the failure that is Windows 8 and they are the sole reason why every PC manufacturer's profits this year are the lowest they've ever been. They are NEVER going to recover from it, especially with the Xbox One set to be their next failure.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

2014 will bring OS X [California Place]. Will likely be 10.10.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Actually there are 2 other reasons I can think of that PC sales are down. The first is people are holding on to systems longer and the second is I suspect more people are having custom systems built (with Windows 7 usually) which don't count in the PC sales figures.

It would be interesting to see the current sales rates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.

8. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Dramatic change will happen as long as computer will exist. I doubt we will be using OS X in 2040 , its just a matter of time but time to change probably is not here yet.

I find it hard that Windows is not making any money especially that something like 85% of computers in the world run Windows, and there are A LOT of computers .I would also like to add , while Apple sells their OS at $30 Microsoft sells windows at something like $100 a pop!

PC sales are down probably because:
    1) Those who still use desktops are hard-core enough to build their own rig
    2) Many people are satisfied with their smart phones/tablets . Many people used to buy laptops just to use messengers and email which is in your phone now
    3) Computers are powerful enough to last a long time now, no huge technological jumps. I bought my laptop 4 years ago, its still snappy and feels new even though I did upgrade the HDD and RAM . My friend has an old laptop I am guessing from 2004 , he ran PowerDirector on it and the video editing processes went smooth. This is unthinkable back in late '90 early 2000 , if your computer was 4 years old it will almost crawl in speed.