The Next OS X will not be OS X.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SolarShane, Apr 23, 2014.

1. SolarShane macrumors 6502

It'll be OS 11. Why?

Thus, meaning that Apple will most likely omit 10.10, as it ends in a zero, and because Apple has already released a 10.1 (remember 10.10 would be "10.1" according to Apple's naming convention) the next logical step is to move onto OS 11. I think that Mavericks was supposed to be OS 11, but because iOS 7 needed more attention, they decided to delay the redesign, but kept with the name change.

Don't tell me about how the logs say Apple is testing 10.10. Apple can easily fake version numbers to hide version they're actually testing. After all, Apple wouldn't want traffic tracking software to reveal OS 11 before it's reveal.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Your "logic" is ridiculous. I doubt highly that Apple determines whether something is a major release/upgrade by a "naming convention" rather than features and capabilities.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I completely agree. I've heard many arguments why people believe the next release will be 11.0 instead of 10.10, but this is, by far, the most ludicrous! OS X will be replaced by OS 11 only when there are significant changes that warrant such a change in name. Until then, it's quite possible to have 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, etc.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX is the marketing name of their OS and they'll continue to use that and just use 10.10 for the versioning. There's really no reason to drop OS X and use OS XI or OS 11.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope.

Attached Files:

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And, Apple has previously offered OS X versions ending in a zero: Example Mac OS X 10.4.10

Sky Blue, you type too fast for me :D

7. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

To the OP, I question the wisdom of wikipedia stating Apple only employs a 'a one-digit minor version'. Your quote also claims that Apple uses a single digit for bug releases. Tiger contradicted that with 10.4.10 and 10.4.11.

There's no logical reason or precedence for Apple *not* having a .10 as a minor version number.

And if there was, do you think Apple would honour developer-oriented numbering scheme over marketing? No chance. 10.10 or X.X are golden.

----------

Who knows when or why Apple will flip over to OS 11. Considering the vast changes of appearance since OS 10.0, and that all OS 10 versions have been built on the same base system, there's nothing to suggest that a bit of a redesign warrants an update to the major version number.

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Ummm....
    No one knows what the next os will be.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Go watch the WWDC video where they announced Mavericks. They said the reason they moved to places in California was because they wanted "a name to use for OS ten for the next ten years". :|

10. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I do.

It will be Mac OS X 10.10.

11. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Using Wikipedia as a source. Nice :/

----------

Hole in one my friend.

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

This post explains it. That disproved the ops statement. This is what I believe will happen too, because Craig said it himself.

----------

Ok, the possibility of that is VERY high, but it's Apple. You never know what they might do. I agree with you though.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

More likely is that eventually they'll just stop putting the number. It will just be "OS X" followed by a name.

14. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

Exactly. I've not seen them write 10.9 anywhere that was meant to be seen by consumers - other than the "About This Mac" section and the small print on Apple's website.

Plus, why would they start a brand new naming convention (after places in California) if they were about to start a new type of Mac OS?

15. SolarShane thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, because they really wanted to tell the world "Hey, we're making OS 11!"

16. chown33 macrumors 604

10.9.2 is also listed as the current version of OS X Mavericks on the Mac App Store. Specifically, it's listed as the "Version", and there's a "What's New in Version 10.9.2" blurb.

17. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

What makes you say that?

People who still need a Mac for productivity know that going from OS X to OS XI means some significant compatibility break. Some, even if minor, compatibility break means in simple terms some lost production. Big branding changes are there to sell the pain that goes with them.

Apple could afford to push big transition while there was good growth in the market now there isn't they need to push the idea that we've all done the hard yards and from now on computers will only make life easy not harder.

There is just no sales upside in a whole new Mac OS at this stage.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Why would it matter? Unless you're saying that next year, when they "unveil 11", they're going to abandon everything up until then ... there's no reason for them to care about the number.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The world already knows that Apple is constantly working to improve it's products. Of course they're working on making the OS that will follow OS X. Whether it will be called OS XI or OS 11 or something else is anyone's guess at this point. Until that is released, any updates to Mavericks will be named 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, etc.

20. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

OSX is more than a version. It's a brand. A very well known brand that they have had to work very hard on to be recognised.

21. iMerik macrumors 6502

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but OSX really does feel like the Mac's iOS. There really is no need to stop calling it OS X either, as a name is just a name.

22. Sound214 macrumors 6502

#define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_0 1000
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_1 1010
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_2 1020
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_3 1030
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_4 1040
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_5 1050
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_6 1060
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_7 1070
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_8 1080
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_9 1090
    #define MAC_OS_X_VERSION_????? ????

I could really see them calling the next ten versions OS XI, since it's definitely going to differ pretty much.

23. pdjudd macrumors 601

Proof? We don’t know that - nothing had been revealed at all about the next version of OSX.

24. Sound214, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

Sound214 macrumors 6502

Well, of course we don't know. But there's certainly many things pointing to that fact. In the interview that Jason Snell did with Phil Schiller, Bud Tribble, and Craig Federighi, they said something very interesting:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2090829/apple-executives-on-the-mac-at-30-the-mac-keeps-going-forever.html
    I could be reading tea leaves, but I believe what they're really saying, is that iOS and OS X will and should look somewhat similar, but not to the extent that they should work the same way, like what Microsoft tries to do.

Also, of course, Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac does have some very interesting insights in the upcoming OS X. He was right about everything last year. He does, however, say that he believes it will indeed be called OS X 10.10, but I don't know. I guess we "know" more in a few days; Gurman wrote "We’ll have more on what to expect from OS X 10.10 soon, so stay tuned." in this article three weeks ago.

25. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

There's nothing pointing to that fact. There's many things pointing to the next version of OS X will be 10.10.