The next Pro upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pagga, May 14, 2010.

1. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    The recent update to the macbook pros was something of a milestone, given the i5/i7 processors. The seamless toggle between cards, pluss slightly longer battery life was another nice development. However, there was no update to the design, neither the main body nor the smaller style features (power charger excepted).

Design
    - I´m expecting the series to become lighter. Especially the 17".
    - I´m looking for a better overall colour scheme. Today there is a compromise between the two screen types (matte/glossy). Does the black keyboard really suit the matte screen?
    - The keyboard light leak must away!
    - I´m not fond of the rather sharp edges in front, where I rest my hands.

Internally
    - Much better SSD!
    - I would like to see the DVD-port gone, replaced by an even larger battery (more weight, I know).
    - Brighter screen, and finally: a partly matte partly glossy solution; we want a little bit of both.

P

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I will upgrade to an MBP when they incorporate the MBA design. The problem now is that people are getting used to 7/9-hour batteries. A super thin design is problematic when the computer needs to stay powered up on battery for 9 hours. I personally wish Apple would have stayed with a 5-hour battery in the MBPs and went super thin and lightweight.

I really want the stupid optical drive removed. If Apple will not allow Blu Ray, even as BTO for $500 or more, then it should remove that joke of a SuperDrive. It has been antiquated for three years!

I want a 14.5" HD 3D display in a 13" MBP frame. I want the bezel eliminated, so it can keep the 13" footprint. I want one USB 3.0 port and two LightPeak ports. I want Intel's wireless display technology. I want a discrete ATI 5XXX series GPU with 1 GB of dedicate VRAM. I want both digital audio in and out ports.

I want aluminum-capped keyboard keys. I want a docking station with wireless power. I want the trackpad to be basically the iPhone display. It would allow accurate touch as the display would be replicated on the trackpad. This would minimize the use of a mouse, yet would give multitouch and exact selection of functions. It could even run iPhone OS in a shell.

Is this too much to expect from a 13" MBP in January 2011?

3. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

almost certainly yes. if you want a super thin option with less battery, that's what the air is for.

4. henhog macrumors newbie

Hmmmm...

I still use my CD//DVD drive quite a bit - for putting CDs onto my iTunes library, watching movies and burning things. I can see the positives, and perhaps Apple will just go with an external DVD/CD drive next time around. Not that I'm worried - I expect my current i5 to last at least 4 years. And I would like to see blue-ray =)

I'd say the next update will still utilize the i5/i7 processors and probably an i3/i5 or ultra low voltage i5/i7 in the 13". Hopefully a nice spec bump like a ram upgrade and cheaper SSDs. And maybe Hi Res or full HD across the whole line?

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I kinda saw the MacBook Pro line as a very good point upgrade. I feel the next upgrade will be bigger, I'm in love with the 17" MBP at the moment but I feel it needs some things from the list below before I will buy it. It would be a long term purchase after all and I probably wouldn't want to upgrade again for at least 5 years. But then again saying that, if Apple gave you everything in 1 machine how will they drive future sales? I'm stubborn anyway and my current machine is nearly 3 years old and Apple are in profit, I've hardly made a dent either!

• I don't mind the current design but the edges need some rethinking.
    • Next generation I/O would be nice, USB3/LightPeak/FW.
    • Better spacing of such ports as they are too closely placed together.
    • Removal of the Optical drive. Replaced either with or all these things (since there will be room), slightly larger battery/secondary bay for HD or SSD drive, another port or integrated sim card slot.
    • IPS panels would also be nice.

I can't ask for the laptop to be lighter because a larger battery will weigh more than the optical drive its replacing. But it would be nice, just because. :)

Probably won't happen, but ditch the network I/O port. But that is for me and don't expect it across the range.

All this could happen with the whole MacBookPro line but I agree with the comment about the large bezel on the 13", make it thinner, its not cool. The black just makes me feel even more confined to a tiny screen. Bump the resolution on the 13" as well and offer a matte screen.

I would like to also point out, these are not fantastic impossible things either so they are realistic.

6. Lambros macrumors regular

could they just put in a TRIM-enabled ssd drive into their computers already. i dont want to get a new laptop and have to pull it apart myself to get into it what shouldve been there originally. also, costs could be better if they were lower :) 13" will probably go option of i3/i5 next update

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

TRIM has to be supported by the OS.