The next years iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Skylitfly, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

I think Apple must have something extraordinary in reserve for next years iPhone since at the moment iPhone 6S is pretty much identical to iPhone 7 in every practical way with the added convinienece of headphone jack. This has to be truly one of the worst upgrades ever in Apples history.

As iPhone 6S owner I have zero reasons to upgrade even thought I think the new black and jet black color options are fantastic.

Just my thoughts.

2. RedOrchestra Suspended

Absolutely couldn't be happier with the Black 7 I picked up launch day.

3. Vin2015 macrumors member

My thoughts exactly!

4. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

Yeah it's pretty obvious they are holding back some major changes. The 7 is a nice stop gap upgrade though

5. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I don't want to be too negative but it's really sad that I'm still on a 6 Plus and I'm having a hard time justifying an update to the 7 Plus.

I know technically they say performance wise it's much better on the plus but I'm really not having issues with my current device and I'm even running iOS 10.

I don't have a problem spending roughly $1k on a cell phone if it's a true upgrade, but I'll pass on the 6ss. Lol.

6. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

The upgrade from my 6plus to my 7plus has been a vast improvement. Triple the amount of RAM, great speakers, water resistant, great cameras. I couldn't be happier. Next year will be a normal "S" year and will have some goofy gimmick that won't be very usable until the following generation. The "S" years never seem to be worth the upgrade to me. I think the 5s was the worst one. Besides the gold I can't even remember what the difference was.

7. Floydpink macrumors member

I'm on a 2 year upgrade cycle and should see a big improvement from my 6 to 7.

The 2017 model has been talked about so much before the 2016 model even launched.

I have no crystal ball, but have a feeling the 2 year cycle will be the right choice once the legendary model of 2017 does arrive.

8. DUIduckSAUCE Suspended

DUIduckSAUCE

I think we will see a 7s and 7s plus for the average consumer. Both of these will retain the current form factor. The redesigned phone is going to be expensive.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

And there's the crux of it. We get it. You don't want to upgrade since you just bought an iPhone a year ago.

But saying it's the "worse upgrade" is a bit over the top. A lot of people believe otherwise. What's even more speculative is your view of next years iphone. Nobody knows what Apple is going to release 12 months from now. Zero.

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

If you put frogs in the water before you start the boil they will just sit there.

Forget the 7 for a minute, the upgrade from the 6 to 6s was a big jump.

11. Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is exactly on point. Jump from 6 to 6S was actually worth the upgrade. But upgrading from 6S to 7... not so much.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It looks the same on the outside but so far this is what I've noticed going from the 6S plus to the 7 plus:

The display is better
    The speakers are better
    The camera is better
    It's faster

It's also waterproof

It was worth the upgrade for me.

13. Leo90 macrumors 6502

That means Apple is doing great quality phones which tend to last longer. I have a 6S Plus and I also didnt find any reason to upgrade to 7 Plus yet.

14. tx2005 macrumors regular

I think there is going to be some massive disappointment this time next year. The days of huge leaps in smartphones is over. I think we are going to start seeing similar upgrades like with laptops, with some form factor changes here and there but mostly upgrades under the hood and within iOS.

I think people are still looking for 3GS to iPhone 4 type upgrades which aren't going to happen anymore.

15. laudern macrumors 6502a

Sad? Honestly you need to get another hobby in your life if you think this is a scenario in which sad can be used to describe it.

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I buy a new phone each year, so I'll enjoy my 7 for 12 months and not worry about anything.

17. tx2005 macrumors regular

I have the IUP so it's basically the same cost to me if I'm on the 6s or 7. No sense in not upgrading.

18. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I thought this was a prediction thread

iPhone 8 having edge to edge screen resolution & also totally encased because of wireless charging, no more lightning (maybe iPhone 9)

Like MacBook Pro having a touch keyboard :)

19. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

This ^ I buy a new phone yearly anyway so I'll enjoy my 7 then get whatever is next, not a problem to me.

20. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Cool story. Nothing new here, people. Move along!

21. Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

I updated from 6 to 6S.

I got better display.
    Much better camera.
    It's noticeably faster.
    Better touch ID.
    3D touch, which is especially useful now after iOS 10 update.
    Also I have raise to wake with iOS 10 which iPhone 6 users didn't get.
    More RAM, less safari refreshing.

Compared to iPhone 7?

Well... the 7 has slightly better camera and it's water resistant. And I still have the headphone jack.

My iPhone 6S is still blazing fast in real world usage and I don't think that the performance is drastically different compared to iPhone 7.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    Well... So far I've updated every year too. This is the first time I won't.

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup.

I used to think this would be the biggest upgrade since the 3Gs to 4. Now it is one of the worse like from iPhone 2G to 3G or 3G to 3Gs.

Dual front speakers and water-resistance is nice. A copy from HTC One and Sony Xperia Z from over 3.5 years ago. Things from camera, speed test, display (still stuck at same resolution), and design hasn't changed much.

Truly one of the worst since 2009.

Worst to Best
    1. 2G -> 3G
    2. 3G -> 3Gs
    3. 6s -> 7
    4. 6 -> 6s
    5. 4 -> 4s
    6. 5 -> 5s
    7. 5s -> 6
    8. 4s -> 5
    9. 3Gs -> 4

The tick years when we from s to an iPhone 4, 5, and 6 were the biggest upgrades both designs and features. The 7 is the smallest jump dealing in a tick year.

I still prefer the s models as I prefer the strongest twin. But this 6s to 7 (aka 6se to me) isn't even that drastic like 4 to 4s or 5 to 5s were. Camera, performance, display, and design have generally been a stalemate.

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

Basically Apple made the 6s/6s Plus so good that the 7 isn't an essential upgrade for those who upgraded last year. Now for those still using a 6 or the underpowered 6 Plus, it's a significant upgrade.

24. The Game 161 macrumors Pentium

The Game 161

New colour
    Water resistant
    Better camera

Main things for me which is why I'm upgrading when it's finally here

25. DSTOFEL, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I know what you mean. I've had the 6 Plus for the last 2 years and this years 7 was a very tough sell for me. I can't help but think that Apple is holding back this year (i.e. As the OP alluded to). If they are holding back, they certainly picked a good year to do it. When your main competitor's phones are actually catching fire and being pulled from store shelves, you're pretty much in the drivers seat;--).

Still, I'm in the camp though that thinks 2017 will be the year for a major redesign. I just can't imagine the regular tick-tock cycle that we've always had with iPhone (until now) extending to tick-tock-tock-tock for the next release.

After much hemming and hawing, I did finally decide to upgrade to the 7 (wanted to go smaller) and it's been a great upgrade from the 6 plus. I paid full price so that I had maximum flexibility to get a 2017 at prelaunch (i.e. And just sell the 7). If no major redesign comes in 2017, I can always opt to keep the 7 for another year.