The No Case Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blimeyoriley, Jul 20, 2008.

1. blimeyoriley macrumors member

hi just wondering if those that haven't been using a case with their iPhone for the last week or so could describe its cosmetic condition??

or pictures would be great!!

i'm picking mine up tomorrow (a white one :D), and am wondering whether its worth investing another £20 in a case!! which would also happen to hide the phone's true beauty!!! :p

thank you!!

2. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

The front of my phone has had a skin on it since a couple days after I got it. So it is still in pristine condition.

The back has been bare since I got it.
    The black back has only one slight scratch that I can see...can't see it unless I look for it.
    The Apple logo seems like a scratch magnet...several hairline scratches in it.
    The chrome edges are perfect.

I have a Contour Flick case on the way from Apple though...won't ship until the end of the month though.

I tried applying BodyGuardz skins to the back but couldn't get it done without getting fingerprints on the stick side...making it look like crap.

3. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

When I get an iphone the first two items I'll get for it is those plastic screen overlays and then either a leather or the hard plastic cases. Most likely a leather one

I'm waiting for a 32GB (I know all about the one chip in the iphone, 32 GB expensive etc)

Note to everyone: I highly suggest getting both the screen over lay and a case. Even if the case has a screen protector built in, protect your screen even more for those times you do remove the case...

4. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

the apple logo has tiny almost imperceptible scratches. otherwise like brand new -- well except for the fingerprint smudges:eek:

5. slate1 macrumors regular

I've been naked for a week!

:D

I got used to using my last smartphone without a case and keeping it in a front pocket with NOTHING else in it and I'm doing the same with my iPhone. The thing is just too nice looking to put in an ugly case and I've yet to see a case I'd be willing to use.

I've got a 16GB White and it's got nary a scratch on it after a weeks worth of heavy usage. I really fretted over this at first - but after watching this:

PC World iPhone 3G Torture Test

I'm less worried about it - I don't know why everyone freaks out over the screen... it seems like on the first iPhone and on this one too it's the most scratch resistant part of the phone.

That being said, I do a lot of backpacking and camping so I'll be getting one of these for such occasions:

Otter Box for iPhone 3G

Otherwise neckid' I shall be!

6. blimeyoriley thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks all for your replies!! i guess i might opt for a case then!! (paying enough for the phone as it is!!)

any other experiences??

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hello, I am Tallest Skil, representing the "naked for slightly over a year" department. My iPhone is in Day One condition, but that's probably just me; I take care of my possessions.

8. rican macrumors 6502

rican

i have had mine "BARE" since july 12th

nothing is wrong w/ it

no scratches or nothing

i clean it once every other day w/ iKlear...

BLACK 16gb ;)

9. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Oh and I carry mine in my pocket by itself. No keys, change, or knives. I used to carry my old phone in the same pocket with a pen and a case holding a flash drive and the miniSD card reader for that phone, but I removed that when I switched phones.

10. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Got mine June 11th it's been naked ever sense and there are no scratches. Once a good enough case comes out I may consider getting one but until then I'm happy being naked.

11. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

I never used a case of any kind with my first gen iPhone. However I am thinking of getting a hard leather case for my 3G.

So far only a couple of hairline scratches on the Apple logo since it's launch on day one.

12. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Bareback for 10+ months

Hi My name is Bill and i'm a bareback iPhone user...
    <background noises of Hi Bill>
    Been a BB iPhone user for close to 10+ months, I just can't stand to see anything cover the natural beauty of the iPhone.
    <background noise of approval and shock>
    And I will be the same way with the new 3g phone, I don't see why people fret over colour then stick it in some case where no one but they will know its black or white.
    <background noise or agreement and murmurs of hes crazy the phone gets scratched up>
    Yes I know some of you think the screen will get scratched up and is hard to clean but i tell you a couple swipes on the pants leg or shirt sleeve and its good as new! Same thing you do with your covered phones.
    <background noises of gasps and snickers>
    Thank you all for your support and time this eveing
    <sits down to enjoy the free coffee and camaraderie of the BBI Anonymous metting>

13. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

No case here either.just don't like any ive seen. I do have a leather sheath for when I don't have pockets but haven't even used it yet. Same as others with only a few hairline scratches on Apple logo. I'm just very peculiar about my phone and extremely careful with it. Consider how hard you are on other phones or gadgets and only you can decide if you need a case. The phone however is pretty durable.

14. blimeyoriley thread starter macrumors member

LOL thanks Bill!!!

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i have had a couple cases but i wanted to not have a bulky case. i returned a couple, and i have now just settled on the sena ultra thin pouch. when in use the phone has nothing on it, but when in my pocket it is protected. i would look into that if you want to keep it naked.

16. blimeyoriley thread starter macrumors member

aah good idea!! thanks, ill have a look!

17. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i like using just the NLU Bodyguardz. the very definition of minimalist, but still scratch free. but keeping it in my pocket all the time will cause lint to accumulate and the skin to peel off with wear prematurely. but this is a year or so down the line.

18. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yea i think its a good idea, but obviously i am biased since i have one. keep in mind that if you do get one, for the first couple of days the sleeve will be very very tight on the phone, it will stretch over time. i got mine yesterday and it is still to tight for my like but it has loosened up a little bit, it should be perfect tomorrow hopefully. i also got a white one to match my phone, good luck!

19. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

I like the same idea so i bought on of these from http://www.foofshop.com

Attached Files:

20. bmms8 macrumors 68020

thats nice! definitely the best way to go in my opinion if you want it naked when in use.

21. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Exactly what I thought! And they are well padded.. Not like the iPod socks.. And comes in a a lot of other colors.. I bought a green one with black satin inside :) for 20 $

22. Alloye macrumors 6502a

No case here. I didn't have one on my original iPhone and it still looked almost new after a year in my pocket.

23. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

I'm using my iPhone naked but when I have to put it in my bag or something then I want something to protect it, 'cause I have a lot of books, a MB, and other stuff (am a student) so just ao it would'nt end up scratched or something.. Otherwise naked all the way, man :D

24. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I've planned on getting a case, but love the way the phone feels naked. My biggest concern with keeping it in my pocket is dust and lint in the crevices and beneath the screen. Anyone experience any of these problems with the original iPhone?