Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
It's definitely demanding for those who have become accomplished in FCP 7, a complex software, to change their workflows and habits and re-learn basic processes they knew how to do in their sleep .

Gilly3000

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
Final Breath for Final Cut Pro

I guess Apple is starting to realize they have a failure on their hands, now offering refunds for FCP X.

Good move Apple.
Thank you for realizing the shortcomings of this once awesome editing tool.

Gilly3000

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
5. The bundled transitions are a joke. Simple things such as fade-in/fade-out are absent. Why?

I've been reading (and laughing hysterically) at a lot of the professional reviews. A lot of them I can imagine to be dealbreakers. I'm by no means a pro by any stretch of the word, but if I can't do fade-in/fade-out...that's a DEFINITE no-no for me.

Right now I use Adobe Premiere because it maximizes use of the 2011 MBP. I was seriously considering FCPX, but yeah...transitions are a must have in my world. And I'm talking SIMPLE transitions. NO fading to color - just FADE. And drag and drop to the fade location.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
2. The concept of sequences is gone and you get ONE timeline per project. Basically, you're forced to create a brand new project for each timeline. Ouch.

Somehow, I have overlooked this missing feature. I routinely work with stop motion and put all of my related stills into a sequence, which then go into a master sequence. The system runs a lot more smoothly and is incredibly organized this way, rather than having thousands and thousands of stills on a timeline. This method is basically the equivalent of working with smart objects in Adobe.

So... in FCPX, I can no longer do this? Just add another reason to the list why I won't be buying it. Which is a shame, because I'm in charge of building a new media lab and had intended to put FCP on all of the machines.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I decided to, for now, stay with FCP 6 (never upgraded to 7).

FCP X would require me to buy a new computer. Which I don't want to do because my iMac (the last 24" model with a matte screen) does everything I need for now.

When the time for an upgrade is here, FCP X will hopefully have matured and gotten more features and less stability issues.

Still, I am very excited about FCP X - I'll just wait a little bit longer, maybe until v2 or v3. Sure, I will have to learn the new ways then, but that's part of working with computers: constantly changing software that adapts to the expanding capabilities of the hardware.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
NO fading to color - just FADE. And drag and drop to the fade location.

I'm confused. In this video at the 1:08 mark FCPX clearly shows 'Fade to Color'. The guy even demonstrates it.

I've also read that using Cross Dissolve can be used for fades at the front and end of a clip.

Not having FCPX, I can't play to find out personally. Hell, I don't even have the hardware for it, yet. :(

Alpi69

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
  • I also found it annoying that when you click and drag a clip it selects in and out points and doesn't actually move the clip meaning you have to click and click again to move it if you want the whole clip and don't want to pick in and outs.
    Happens to me every now and then, agreed, the selection in the Event-Browser is sometimes weird
  • I like parts of the magnetic timeline but I don't like the fact that I can't drag something into the middle. It has to jump to the start so for instance I wanted to start my project with just sound but at first was unable to. So I had to generate a black background before I could lay down the sound with gaps as I wanted.
    Use the Positiontool!"P"
  • I then spent probably 2 hours constructing a 30 second sequence which would have taken about 10 mins in FCP 7
    To me it looks like I use 10mins for stuff that took an hourmin FCP7
  • Controlling opacity is a nightmare as now you have to push several buttons just to get to the controls and once you have made a keyframe you can't move it in the x and y direction at the same time it is only one or the other.
    I guess that is a feature, not a bug, similar to FCP7 audio-keyfreaams/nodes.

Alpi69

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
I just played with FCP X at a friend's house. Although I wasn't able to spend as much time messing with it, I've been noticing a lot of the same things the OP has.

A) spend more time, then come back

B) use any other software you never used....spend little time with it again (maybe try Maya?) and tell me how wellmthat goes.

Why do people expect FCPX to work by itself?

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ
FCP 7 vs. Premiere

Has anyone got any experience of FCP 7 vs. Premiere? I am still a student so the price isn’t so much of an issue. Plus it would probably be a good idea to get as many NLEs under my belt as possible!

I use both. I find them to be nearly perfectly equivalent. In terms of functionality, there are slight differences in how things get done, but I don't know of anything major that is in one and not the other.

In premiere I like the way you can mark clips while they are still on the card and only pull the parts you need. It also plays very nicely with a lot of different formats of files, and the shadow/highlight filter. It also renders quickly using Media Encoder. Personally I prefer Premiere to FCP 7 because of the integration with Adobe's other applications, but really the difference between them is slight.

Last edited:

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I'm confused. In this video at the 1:08 mark FCPX clearly shows 'Fade to Color'. The guy even demonstrates it.

I've also read that using Cross Dissolve can be used for fades at the front and end of a clip.

Not having FCPX, I can't play to find out personally. Hell, I don't even have the hardware for it, yet. :(

You don't get it.

In Final Cut Pro 6 or Adobe Premiere, I take a fade, drag it to the front or end of any clip. It fades the way I want it. I don't want to futz with color. I want it to "just work". Premiere can do it. Old Final Cut Pro could do it. I don't want to put it between clips, I want it on the clip that needs the fade. That "between clip" nonsense is vintage iMovie, and I'll not be doing that.

On a side note this is a better video.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I think you nailed it right there. This is in response to the death of the TV and rise of YouTube an Vimeo videos with specific user created channels getting millions of hits.

If Apple does not bother to offer a higher end version or one more suited for the pro editor, I almost see it as they might loose lets say a 500,000 pro editors, but gain how many millions of up coming editors and creators whose sole aim is the web?

Depends on if the people teaching NLE editors in colleges and universities decide to switch their labs from FCP to Premiere (which is what I'm considering right now). If academia decides to stop supporting Apple with this new software, then there will be a ripple in future users.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I am interested in what will have happened in six months.

How will Apple have responded to the feedback after the release.

What will the two upgrades (summer and autumn) have contained?

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Depends on if the people teaching NLE editors in colleges and universities decide to switch their labs from FCP to Premiere (which is what I'm considering right now). If academia decides to stop supporting Apple with this new software, then there will be a ripple in future users.
Not necessarily so. Look around. How many "filmmakers" are there turning out some great short films without ever having seen a film class from the inside?
There's an abundance of free tutorials on YouTube. Creative Cow and Vimeo. You wanna pay for it? There's Rippletraining, Vasst and Lynda.

Film/video classes only make sense if you want to play with gear that you normally can't afford.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Just like with going all glossy with their Cinema Displays and iMacs: They won't care what you want, only what they want you to have.

I am interested in what will have happened in six months.

How will Apple have responded to the feedback after the release.

What will the two upgrades (summer and autumn) have contained?

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
UK
If Apple does not bother to offer a higher end version or one more suited for the pro editor, I almost see it as they might loose lets say a 500,000 pro editors, but gain how many millions of up coming editors and creators whose sole aim is the web?

It would be a shame if Apple lost the pro market, but like you say...how many up and coming editors will be using FCPX i would say most of them. Im no pro, but i really love editing my GOPro footage from my snowboarding and downhill mountainbikes...but when i opened FCPx for the first time i felt like i was stepping backwards and going into iMovie coming from using FCP previously.

After playing with it though, i love it...and the new features and GUI, the ins & out feature and having to view your clip in the main video window instead of a 2nd is taking a while to get use too. The effects and transitions is nice too, to see how they work before applying them.

All in all, i think its a good upgrade, it will blend the users. Lets hope they release more pro features though, because now i feel like every other user / wanna be editor. When i was using FCP i felt like i was above the noob editor. LOL

One thing im looking for is the Twixtor plugin for FCPX

robertseadog

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2005
Why can't we:

Multiclip editing
Import or Export EDLs
Import or Export OMFs
Import or Export XMLs
Having multiple timelines open at the same time
Assign video or audio tracks
Customize workspace
In and Out section exporting

Among many other things!

When I heard that Randy Ubillos was redesigning Final Cut Pro I knew that we were headed for disaster. This loser has ruined this wonderful editing tool. It's dumbed down to be nothing than a glorified version of iMovie. Shame on Apple for letting this happen. Oh, did I mention that you most likely have to buy either a new video card or new MacPro to run it.

I'm am currently doing a movie at Universal on Final Cut Pro 7, and will advise the studio executives I work with to go back to Avid.

Good Bye Final Cut Pro, or it's new name...Final Cut Amateur.
John Gilbert, a.c.e.
Editor

So when you heard that the same "loser" that created Premiere 1-3, and been leading Final cut development since it's inception, was working on the new version, you knew we were headed for disaster?

Maybe you need to freshen up your history lessons, or get a more positive outlook on life.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
So when you heard that the same "loser" that created Premiere 1-3, and been leading Final cut development since it's inception, was working on the new version, you knew we were headed for disaster?

I'm not one for calling people losers, but, as the saying goes,
"past performance is no guarantee of future results".

What kind of result FCP X represents is something I wouldn't
like to comment on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.