The "Now Playing" app with "Admit One" on the icon... not updating? Anyone else?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Scott-n-Houston, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Mine isn't updating or loading movie theater data. It's like that on my phone and iPad, but not sure if it's the area I'm in, or the app itself.

Anyone else getting new updates on this app?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

Same here. I emailed the dev right away and I got this as a response:

and that was yesterday, still down as of now :(

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It's been down for at least a week, probably longer. I just use Flixter now instead.

4. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sucks. I really liked that app.

Is Flixter as good?

5. converge macrumors member

Nope. Flixter's UI looks a little more polished, but Now Playing has much better Netflix integration. Also, Flixter only supports ticket purchasing for AMC theaters (at least in my area), where as Now Playing supports Regal and UA cinemas.

6. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. I'm trying it.
    I hope the Now Playing guy gets past the issues. That app is great.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I was also wondering what was wrong with this app. Thanks for posting.

8. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

Unfortunately, the dev doesn't know as to when the app can go back live again :( Anyone else out there have a good suggestion as an alternative for "Now Playing" app?

9. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Just noticed this today. Nice to get a quick answer to this issue. I hope the issues gets resolved. I like the app. Thanks for posting.

10. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Did "Now Playing" merge or get bought out by "Flixster"? After "Now Playing" tanked I installed "Flixster". The UIs are basically the same.

I love the integration of Yelp and Rotten Tomatoes in "Flixster" but I hate that I have to see a pop up movie ad every time I launch it. I'd pay just to avoid those pop ups.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I searched for Flixster at the app store and can't find it....what the heck am I doing wrong?

12. mzd macrumors 6502a

13. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

I guess Cyrus could offer a paid app and an ad-supported free app in order to cover some of the costs for the licensing, I wouldn't mind that.

14. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

noticed that last week. i deleted it and downloaded flixster and fandango instead.

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Thanks....no wonder...I kept looking for Flixster....it's called "Movies"

16. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Thank you I wondered what was wrong

Still down for me in Washington DC July 19th. Thanks for the info. I've been trying everything. Now I know it's not me. (Which I kind of sensed since Fandango and other location based apps worked.)

17. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

I believe the app won't be back up anymore, according to the dev. The Netflix API will still continue to function normally as long as Netflix makes it free to be used.

18. aquietlife macrumors newbie

Now Playing

Yeah Now Playing was the best movie app in the app store. I was amazed that it was free. Loved the design, updated and opened very fast, had rotten tomato scores, netflix integration, hi res posters, and very sharp trailers. I've tried all the apps at one point and nothing compares. Flixter is the closest now, but has lower quality trailers and the interface doesn't look as good. I hope Cyrus can bring it back, I'd pay for it if that's the issue.

19. ericfelt macrumors newbie

I mainly used Now Playing for the netflix integration. It was nice to occasionally check for playtimes though. Is it still the best app for netflix?

20. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah, this was one of the first apps that I downloaded when the App Store was just starting out. The dev, Cyrus, has been very responsive and has put a lot of work into this free app. I remember sending him an email a while back when one of my local theaters' listings was no longer showing up (there are only 3 theaters in my town, one of them being a dollar theater) and he quickly responded to the email with information.

I noticed the showtimes not showing up a couple of days ago, but today I checked out his website and he stated he might have it be Ad supported, which I think is no problem.

I've been using Flixster's Movies app as a substitute, and it works pretty good being that I don't currently use Netflix and don't need that functionality.

Probably the only thing I DON'T like about the Now Playing app is the icon. :)

21. Salacion macrumors 6502a

You guys should give Movies Now a go. My favorite out there, and qualifies as a good replacement to Now Playing.

22. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

For $1.99 it would have to run circles around the free Flixter app.

23. Salacion macrumors 6502a

It use to be free. But anyways, IMO, it does.

24. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

What's his website?

25. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I went to the app on my iPhone, tapped the little "i" on the top left corner, "About / Send Feedback", and "Project Website".