The NVIDIA GPU failure.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac4, Jun 18, 2010.

1. mac4 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I am a total mac noobie (well, I did have an ol skool one about 15 years ago, but I must say that times have changed... ), so forgive me if this question is elementary for some of you.

Any way, I got a MacBook pro 15" 2.2Ghz that is stuck in clamshell mode (or at least I think it is...)

Normally I use it with a Gateway 24" external display and USB keyboard and mouse. I cannot get a display on the MacBook's screen or on the Gateway's. If I close the MacBook, it does not go in sleep mode, but the light is bright (as if it recognizes an external display). I do not have the DVI or the keyboard/mouse connected at this time.

Any suggestions how to get out of this? I have read that there is an issue with the NVIDIA graphics processor, and I am hoping that this is not the cause.

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

8600M GPU yes? From your description it sounds like its gone kaput. You could try a SMC reset see if that unsticks it, but it may be time to get it looked at.

3. mac4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, its an 8600M GPU.... :(

I tried the SMC reset to no avail. I guess I will have to take it in then. Thanks for the advice though. We'll see what they can do.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. How old is it? Apple extended the warranty for faults with the 8600M for an extra 2 years.

Also where are you based? I ask in case it's over 3 years old as in the UK a retailer has to cover electronics like computers under the Sales of Goods Act for 6 years if it can be proved that the item has failed due to an inherent fault rendering it not fit for purpose. Considering the rep of the 8600M it shouldn't be too hard to push for that. Believe theres some EU legislation that is similar too.

5. mac4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually bought it used about 3 months ago from someone in my area (Houston TX USA); he bought it from Apple in October 2007.

UPDATE:
    We just took it to the Apple store and they said they need to replace the logic board for $330 (and that I have to pay for it)... Weird. According to the Apple site, this computer should qualify as one affected by the recall... :confused:

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I'd ring Apple customer services about that, if the Apple site states that it qualifies under the recall then they can't charge you for the repair.

7. mac4 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I plan to do Monday... after reading over the internet, it seems like too many people are getting ripped off because the Apple Store "geniuses" say its not the NVIDIA issue, they just need a new logic board....

....Same symptoms, same affected products... it's all too fishy.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for your assistance.

8. mac4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update to my saga...

I called Apple Support Saturday and they said that after verbally diagnosing my issue, he said it seemed like I had the geniune NVIDIA issue and that I should take it back to the Apple store to have them retest. Should there be a "discrepancy", then I should contact them again, WHILE in the store, and ask to speak with a Senior Advisor...

SO off to the store again - and the test failed. We called tech support while in the store and spoke with a senior advisor. He basically was a dead end.... according to him "if it failed the test, then it failed the test..."

Frustrated, I left.

I called customer relations on Sunday and they were closed. So I called tech support (again!) to discuss my dilemma. Once again, tech support was useless. He told me that my graphics card failed, but it wasn't because of the supposed NVIDIA issue that would grant me the free repair. So I asked him: "if my MBP falls into the category of the manufacturing date, the affected product, the same symptoms and the graphics card has failed, then what ELSE could be the issue?" He told me that my graphics card is defective. :confused: I then told him, "it is my understanding that NVIDIA designed the test too. If their products are failing, then how can I trust a test they developed too?!?!"

He didn't have an answer. :rolleyes:

Figuring I am not getting anywhere with this issue, I hung up.

Monday, in my last ditch effort to have this resolved by Apple, I called Customer Relations (800-SOS-APPL). The guy was very respectful and courteous. After discussing the problem with MBP to him, he said that he would have it fixed by Apple for free. :D Customer Relations rocks.

9. mallom macrumors regular

I had the same problem. I bought a macbook pro 15 with a """"BROKEN SCREEN"""" for $300. Took it to apple store, sent it back to me after 2 days for free. :D

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603