Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddngo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
upsized apps. It's terrible.

Yes - people complain about its size (it's too big to hold, too big for pockets, etc.) - but those things can be fixed by returning the phone and getting a smaller one.

The single most frustrating thing about the phone for those who actually like its size is that there are hardly any optimized apps for the screen of the iPhone 6 Plus. I love the iPhone 6 Plus and its size, I just want apps for it!

Apps should not be allowed to say "compatible with iOS 8" unless they have been optimized for the various screen sizes.

Currently we are getting a bunch of 4" or 4.7" apps blown up to fit a 5.5" screen.

The only apps that appear to fit the 6 Plus well are those made by Apple (compare Safari to Chrome for example -- Chrome's new update says "compatible with iOS 8" yet on a 6 Plus the app is just a blown up ugly mess.)

Thse blown-up apps are ugly - and it's annoying and frustrating. Let's hope in the coming weeks developers step up and things will change.

I can't be the only one frustrated by these 6 Plus eyesores.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
While I agree with your point of non-optimized apps. I'd rather shift the blame to the developers rather than the device itself.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
It hasn't even been out for an entire week yet. Developers will get updates out soon I'm sure. I've already had a few that have updated for the larger screen but the developers need time to test and submit them to Apple. Be patient.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Good thing the apps will probably all be updated by the time the 6s comes out next year :D

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
While I agree with your point of non-optimized apps. I'd rather shift the blame to the developers rather than the device itself.

As a developer, I'd shift the blame to Apple...

It's very hard to know how an app is going to perform without using it on the device itself. I've been using autolayout in my app, but using it in the simulator just can't compare to using it on a real thing for the first time.

I just tried it on a 4.7" iPhone and the UI isn't great. I can't imagine what it would be like on a 5.5" phone.

If developers were given more time to optimise the apps before release, they'd probably be a lot better from day 1.
Of course, Apple want to announce then ship as soon as possible. So it's understandable why developers get so little time.

I preordered a iPhone 6 Plus - it's coming in mid-October. Until I can test it on the 6 Plus, I'm not submitting an update yet.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
The worst part about the iPhone 6 plus is the people bickering about it on macrumors.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Apps should all be responsive tablet versions scaling down as necessary.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Let's see, 10 million 6/6+. Several hundred million iOS 8 compatible devices. Sorry, don't see why developers should have to worry about screen size when they update to be iOS 8 compatible.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Eh it was the same issue with non-retina apps when the iPhone 4 was launched, and poorly scaled apps when the iPad and iPhone 5 were launched.

Give it some time, developers will update it eventually.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The 6+ was only a rumor until 2 weeks ago, and even still at that point Apple said nothing about 3x assets or split views on iPhone. Also the GM release of the new Xcode was just released at that time as well, which is the only way you could use the new size classes unless you were willing to run the buggy Xcode 6 beta.

Two weeks is not enough time to redesign interfaces for larger screens and properly do quality control (Especially without real hardware to test on, which is still scarce in the case of the 6+) So in addition to iOS 8 changing and in some cases breaking old code, you also have to update layouts, reexport or redesign art assets for the new 3x size and overall it is just a lot of work to be done even for just one app. And don't forget widgets and extensions as well.

I have a 6 and hate using the upscaled apps...I can't imagine how bad they feel on the 6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.