Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pusle8

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
I hacked my phone (3rd party apps), the update went fine and I'm enjoying it.

I expected something like this to happen which is why I never would've unlocked it and used it on a different carrier. It's just too risky. My hope is that either Apple gets their act together and starts some serious development on the iPhone or that the community figures out a way to break the current update.

My biggest concern right now is that in a years time Apple will release a new version of the phone which has all of the apps and features we want and not add them to the current model. Unfortunately, their track record recently makes that a real possibility to me.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
AT&T fanboy alert

Guilty as charged :D

Doesn't mean I still wasn't pissed at the pricedrop.

My biggest concern right now is that in a years time Apple will release a new version of the phone which has all of the apps and features we want and not add them to the current model. Unfortunately, their track record recently makes that a real possibility to me.

This is SOP for Apple. I bought the very first 5gig iPod for 399. Hell at year later you could pick up a 20 gig for that amount. Now you can get 160gig.

Tech changes, software improves. The iPhone is all software so whats to say they won't continue to add new features.

This is a mainstream product, headed to the same status as iPod. As Apple Fan boys, we hack out Power Books and tweak OSX to suit our needs. If it breaks we know how to fix it.

Once you start to put 3 party apps for iPhone and Joe blow reads somewhere he can put a widget on his one and ends up with a brick because he doesn't know how to use the Terminal.

Now you have a PR nightmare from not just the die hards, but the general public. Not to mention tons of warranty claims on phones that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

It makes perfect sense why Apple wants this phone locked down. You just have to think about it from that side of the desk.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Was it necessary making this thread? Is there something you wanted to accomplish?

If you can have thread after thread of people bitching about their hacked iPhones being broken, it seems only fair that there can be one thread raving about the updates from a non-hacked phone.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
If you can have thread after thread of people bitching about their hacked iPhones being broken, it seems only fair that there can be one thread raving about the updates from a non-hacked phone.

Thank you.

No there wasn't a real point. I'm stuck at work, its slow and you now you all can suffer with me via this pointless thread.

Have a great weekend guys!

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
The over-under on the number of posts until someone labels you a fanboy is set at 5.

I will take the under.

I'll take that action... And I didn't read ahead. Theoretically, of course, he's right. Technically he's gloating, and I'm even in the unhacked/locked bunch. Say what you want about hacking or especially unlocking, but blowing a bugle on the mound of corpses is sort of inhumane.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

Okay, I'll give you that. It's just we're not hurting at all -- updates for both mine and my wife's ATT-locked iPhones went rock solid -- and some people are really hurting, whether it's ultimately perhaps their own fault or not.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I have no need to tamper with the apps and SIM on my iPhone. After owning a Dell Axim PDA and installing all kinds of crap on it -- and getting it to hang every 20 minutes -- I have no need to mess with the iPhone. I didn't buy it with the expectation of using it as an open SmartPhone. So of course no upgrade problems here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.