The Official 13" MacBook Pro Review Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arthursiew, Jun 16, 2009.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

[​IMG]

Basic Info

Pricing and Specifications:

2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)
    2GB DDR3 RAM (4GB DDR3 RAM)
    160GB HDD (250GB HDD)
    2 USB Ports
    1 FireWire 800 Port
    SD Card Slot
    Built-In Seven Hour Battery

Normal= $1199 Bold=$1499 Italics=both models

Official MacBook Pro Page

Review

PROS: Unibody Design, Trackpad, Standard Backlit Keyboard, Improved Screen, FireWire, SD Card Slot, Battery Life, Pricing
    CONS: Making 250GB HDD standard would make this computer feel more like a Pro, 1.5 SATA, Option for Matte Screen, No Dedicated Graphics Card
    Bottom Line: Although this is a MacBook Pro, this is only the entry model to the Pro family. The addition of the new features makes this laptop a true Pro. If you're in the market for a laptop, this is one that you should add to your list.

Design

Still featuring the sexy Unibody design, this laptop looks fantastic and the build quality is excellent. The look and feel of this computer cannot be beaten, as most of the laptops in the market feature poor designs and build quality. Apple still satisfies their customers with their awesome design. They have truly created a masterpiece down at the design department. Well done!

Performance

The performance of this computer is great. The base model features a 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB RAM, while the higher 13" model features a 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB RAM. Both models have the fantastic NVIDIA 9400M graphics, but Apple still fails to impress me with their HDD space. The base model has a 160GB HDD and the higher end features a 250GB HDD. The base MBP should have a 250GB HDD, as it is now branded as a Pro laptop.

Features

LED Display

The previous uMB also had the LED Display, but the quality wasn't that great. The new displays impressed me a lot, as it displayed more vivid colors and the viewing angle is improved as well.

Multi-Touch Trackpad

Still featuring the awesome multi-touch glass trackpad, I am still very happy with it. This is ought to be the best trackpad on a laptop in the whole entire market. The feel of the trackpad is just right, and the gestures just make it a whole lot easier for navigation.

Keyboard

The previous uMB only had a backlit keyboard for the high end model, but they have finally decided to add the backlit keyboard to every model. Surprisingly, the backlit keyboard is pretty useful, even though I'm a touch typist. The keyboard is also very responsive, and has a very nice feel to it when typing.

IO Ports

Now featuring the missing FireWire port, it makes this computer feel more like a Pro. It also has the surprising addition of a SD Card Slot. It still only has 2 USB ports, but adding another one would probably mean getting rid of the FireWire port or SD Card Slot.

Battery

Although the battery is not removable, the battery life is impressive. I ran the computer without shutting it down for approximately 6 hrs, where I spent 1 1/2 hrs watching a movie. Even though it didn't go up to the maximum 7 hrs, having the movie watching time in it makes it very impressive. I'm very happy with the battery, even though it's non-removable.

Conclusion

Truly, this new laptop deserves the name "Pro" in it. The seven hour battery is amazing. The return of FireWire, and the surprising addition of the SD Card slot is a great touch. Making the backlit keyboard standard on all models makes typing more enjoyable in the dark. For those looking at the MacBook should consider laying down another $200 for this computer. With these new updates, Apple just tightened the notebook competition, and I can already see PC users diminishing. You can also upgrade to Snow Leopard for $10 bucks if you purchase this before release date. Great job Apple! I'm already waiting for the selling results of the 13" MBP.

2. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Sweet! I'm hopefully getting mine this week. Base model 13" MacBook Pro. :D

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

For many, it is just what they were looking for... in spite of the 1.5 SATA

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Still has it's flaws, but if I were in the market for a laptop, this is the one I'd be going for (base model anyway).

5. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

The conclusion paragraph is very confusing.

Oh, and that picture is of the old 13" MacBook :p

6. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I was in a rush to get this thread up, since I had to go somewhere. I'll edit it.

I know the picture is the uMB, I just need to find a picture of the 13" MBP. I'll continue searching.

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

OTHER CONS:

No 3.0 SATA II
    No Matte option
    No EXpressCard
    No DVI

8. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Let me know if there's anything else I need to add. I want to make this thread as informative as I can, so new buyers will know what to get.

9. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

So would a dedicated graphics card, and many other features used by a "pro".
    At the end of the day, it is the base model and Apple want you to spend the extra cash and go for their optional upgrade.

10. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Yea, I agree with you.

11. qpid macrumors regular

No Coffee Maker
    No Bug Zapper
    No Diesel Engine
    No Flux Capacitor

12. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

No Flux Capacitor!!??....i'm returning my 13" MBP and buying a dell

13. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Although I wont be purchasing another laptop for about a year or year and a half, this new macbook pro makes me excited about what may be released by apple in the future. Granted, that could change drastically, but hey, I'm still pumped for when my time rolls around to replace my Macbook CE lol

These new MBP's are awesome and only make it harder to decide weather to go with them or a 15inch one.

Oh well, its good to have options:rolleyes:

14. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

:D Great!

There's a 5400 RPM HD in there. So that's not really a big deal, at least for me.

Fair enough I guess. But personal choice, I don't have a problem with the glossy screen.

I don't know, it's just not a feature I care about.

There's a connector for that.

:cool: