The "official" Amazon shipping thread!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wordmunger, Oct 27, 2007.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Did you order your Leopard from Amazon to get their discount and save a few bucks on tax? Did you feel left out when everyone was complaining that their Leopard arrived at 10:37 instead of 10:30 on the 26th? Now's your chance to shine.

Since I thought this up, I get to go first.

I chose "super-saver" shipping on my family pack and got the notice that it's shipped this morning. The US Postal Service still doesn't recognize the tracking number, though. Maybe I'll get my Leopard only a week late...

2. torpy macrumors regular

In the same boat here, saved a few on tax plus that discount on the single user edition.

It shipped last night via free 2-day UPS (Amazon Prime rocks! :D ), last update is that it was picked up from their facility in Phoenix, AZ (I'm in CA).

Should be here by monday or tuesday :)

3. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Same here, but Amazon emailed me last night saying Electronic Shipping Info Received PHOENIX AZ 85043 10/27/07 5:47pm. IM tracking via number given to me for the USPS. No high hopes for their tracking though!--))))

It gets here when it gets here. In the interim I set up a new 750gig V3 Mini Stack Firewire etc... drive to get ready to use time machine. Also IM taken advantage of reading all the little hicups, issues and features that people write about on Leopard!

Takes a little patience but IM glad I did it this way!

I will follow up when 10.5 arrives here. :D

4. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Clearly amazon shippers aren't exactly anxious to get their copies!

I finally picked mine up at the P.O. today. I believe it's been sitting there since Monday. I'm backing up right now, will do an archive and install in about 45 minutes when the backup's complete.

5. torpy macrumors regular

Heh, I got mine yesterday, Archive & Installed and am a happy camper. Next up, order that external drive off amazon ;)

6. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Mine's installed now. Transparent menu bar is ugly as sin.

7. TheZA macrumors regular

At first I figured I would just wait until after a couple of updates, but then I kept reading and hearing about it an ended up ordered mine from Amazon on Friday the 19th. And of course I had to get an external hard drive to go with Time Machine, so I ordered a refurbished external hard drive from LaCie the same day, which offered free shipping via FedEx. I figured I would take some time to set up and partition the hard drive, then clone my Tiger version to it. I got my hard drive on Tuesday I think, and was all set up by that night. About then I got an email from Amazon saying shipping had been delayed from the 26th, and would arrive between 10/3 and 10/6 (I'm in Microsoft land [hiss, hiss], Redmond, WA). So now I have my tracking number that says Leopard departed Pheonix on the 29th with an expected delivery date of the 6th. I'm hoping it actually arrives on Friday or Saturday so that I can get it all loaded and configured on the weekend. Anxiously waiting, when is the thing going to get here man! Now if I had it to do over I probably would have just burned the extra $20 and bought it on Day 1. Got the bug, I do.

I've ordered stuff from Amazon before, and usually if it is actually coming from Amazon here in Seattle, even at the USPS media rate it is as fast as first class. Don't know why they are shipping it from Pheonix. Actually, I have an Amazon conspiracy theory that they are taking a loss or at least not making much profit on Leopard because of the discounted rate they are offering, and figure they will make it up on all the other stuff people will buy, or on upgrading the shipping when they anounced the delay and the Leopard jones got too bad. Well ha, I bought my hard drive elsewhere, and I resisted the jones until after it had shipped and was too late.

8. TheZA macrumors regular

What! You've got yours in North Carolina with the same approximate ship date as mine! Yo Mr. Postman, where's my Leopard, where's my Leopard, where's my Leopard!

9. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Well here's my update:

Received Leopard today!--))) Cloned Tiger in the meantime to my new mini-stack V3 750 Gig drive via firewire! Sweet and worked like a charm using the Free Carbon Copy Cloner software! Awesome!

Installed Leopard via the default upgrade option. I by passed verifying the DVD and install took approximately 1 hour. I did this on my original Intel Core Duo iMac.

I don't see what all the complaining is about the dock, transparency bla bla bla!

Im very happy and content so far. I like the new stationary in mail, imported a few pics and sent off a test email with the greatest of ease!

Time machine could not be any easier to set up.

Now verifying my applications function ok.

Only one so far and I knew in advance didn't work was Pith Helmet.

This is a helluva lot easier and smoother than when I use to update windows!

Apple did a Great Job for a 10.5."0" release!

I hope all of you that upgrade find the same experience that I am! :D