Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Well, it might seem an unlikely choice to cast Heath Ledger as the Joker, but remember when they cast Cilliam Murphy as the Scarecrow, it worked very well in the movie.

I will save my judgement when I see The Joker's portrayal in the finished film. :cool:

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
the director may very well be able to have him pull it off. clearly he'll be compared to the previous jokers very heavily so i'm sure the entire production crew will be aware of it and scrutinize. i'll certainly give him a chance to prove himself. though i can't visualize it really...

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
I would imagine. It is just following Batmain BEGINS, plus when Gordon is talking with batman at the end, he says that this escaped criminal has been leaving a joker card at the scene of his crimes.
As for ledger, whatever, he could do okay.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
spicyapple said:
Well, it might seem an unlikely choice to cast Heath Ledger as the Joker, but remember when they cast Cilliam Murphy as the Scarecrow, it worked very well in the movie.

I will save my judgement when I see The Joker's portrayal in the finished film. :cool:

I never said he was a bad actor. I said he was a tosser. He may well be a great Joker but I'm not a fan of his.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Chundles said:
I said he was a tosser.
Tosser? I am unfamiliar with that term. Is it like a salad tosser? If so, he did play that part in Brokeback Mountain. ;)

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
I can picture Ledger as the Joker. I think the problem people have is that past Jokers have been older, with their criminal careers having been established. Osstensibly, this is a Joker with his career (as an arch-criminal) just getting off the ground. I hope they don't kill him off...

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I think he could possibly have the right(ish) look to carry off the joker - just look at him when he has a HUGE smile on his face - but its his voice which I'm not convinced by. Try as I might, his voice doesn't seem to be able to but a joker spin on things....

I'm hoping I'll be proved wrong. Batman Begins is definitely in my Top 10 films, and I don't want the new franchise to bring out a duffer yet...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
spicyapple said:
Tosser? I am unfamiliar with that term. Is it like a salad tosser? If so, he did play that part in Brokeback Mountain. ;)

No, it means he likes to "manage his own area" if you get my drift.

A W-anchor if you catch my meaning, wink wink nudge nudge.

You guys really speak a whole different language don't you...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Piarco said:
I'm hoping I'll be proved wrong. Batman Begins is definitely in my Top 10 films, and I don't want the new franchise to bring out a duffer yet...

Totally agree. Although I have my concerns over this casting decision, I will reserve judgment until I see the finished product. I have every confidence that Nolan will not let this new series go down the tubes like the last one did.

Phat Elvis

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2005
Phila, PA
whooleytoo said:
I know this idea is a bit left-of-centre too; but after seeing 12 Monkeys, does anyone else think Brad Pitt could have been a superb Joker?

Totally agree. There is a theory that he is at his best in a film when unwashed:

Fight Club
True Romance
12 Monkeys

As for Heath Ledger - <insert random Brokeback Mountain joke>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.