The official "How do I do this?" for new Switchers!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Nov 9, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

So, I'm a new mac owner for about a day now, and well, it's amazing. However..there are many questions. i've done some questionable things, just old happens from windows.

So this is the thread for users like me, who have that question but don't know how to answer it. So, Mac veterans, please, assist us.

Thanks.

Speaking of which. I totally just tried dragging my entire applications folder to my desktop...it made am erasing sound and now it's gone?:eek: ..****.

2. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Nevermind, I think I found it. Wow, I scared the hell out of myself. I used Spotlight, and then dragged it onto my dock. That's awesome.

What's the difference between spotlight and finder?

3. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Done that before. I think it just deletes it from the Finder Sidebar. You have to go to Macintosh HD and then drag applications folder back to finder sidebar. It does not delete the folder.

4. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

You are awesome! thanks man.

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Think of the finder as windows explorer (not internet explorer) and spotlight as search.

6. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys - you've made life helpful.
    Let's see. I've gone crazy with downloads...wedjets, ect. But, in my download icon on my stacks, if I delete the previously downloaded item, does it remove it from my mac? In windows, you can delete the download file, but keep the downloaded application. How does it work on a mac?, thanks.

Also, how do I delete wedjets?

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yup, same with mac. You can delete the .dmg file without issue.

8. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Weird.
    It seems that when I delete the one for my MSN messenger, it deletes my msn messenger with it?

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It shouldn't. I downloaded it from the microsoft website real quick to make sure. Just download the .dmg file to your mac, double click it, then, in th box that pops up, drag the big messenger icon to your applications folder. After that you should be able to delete the .dmg no problem.

10. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, so I'm suppose to drag the desktop windows messenger icon into my applications folder?

11. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Oops..I just deleted coconut battery with the same mistake.
    How does downloading work on a Mac?
    Do I put everything I download into the accplications folder, then, I can delete it from my downloads???

12. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

To remove widgets from your dashboard click the "+" in the bottom left, then click the X that appears on the top left of the widget you no longer wish to see on your dashboard. To completely delete them open Finder and goto Macintosh HD->Library->Widgets, then drag the Widget you wish to delete to that trash, if it a Widget that you downloaded it will default save to <User Name>->Library->Widgets, again, drag the one you wish to delete to the trash.

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Hm, I'm not sure I am exactly following you here. Take a look at this screenshot. I added arrows to try and illustrate (and yes, they are sucky arrows)

Attached Files:

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

That's generally how it works. You download the .dmg file (i usually put it on my desktop out of convenience) then double click the .dmg file. It will pop up a window and either tell you what to do, or it will just show a big icon for the application, in which case it is "supposed" to be understood that you just drag it to the applications folder. After the application is in the applications folder (you can just look in there and see) then it is ok to delete the .dmg file.

I'm sorry if I am just confusing you more :)

15. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I did it, Inside of my application folder it shows Windows messenger, but it has a big circle and an X over it. i go to delete the icons and it says it can not because it is in use? Thanks again.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

YOU WIN!!!!!!

Lol, I have absolutely no idea there, sorry :(