The Official "I'm Waiting Till WWDC for a new MBP" Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingofkolt, Jun 7, 2007.

  1. kingofkolt macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    ...and I certainly hope I'm not the only one posting here.

    What's everyone's plans for getting a MBP after WWDC (those who are)? I'm heading up to New Hampshire where they have no sales tax and picking one up there. Although I have to call a day or two in advance, though, to make sure they have them in stock and hopefully can put it on hold. I just ran down to the Apple Store in Cambridge to look at the MBP's but they only had the old ones. But I still played with them for quite a while (this will be my first Mac -- very excited about this).

    So what's everyone's expectations for WWDC that's keeping you waiting? I'm waiting to see if there will be a Leopard upgrade coupon (unlikely) or possibly a new version of iLife (possible). Also, I know that if I buy a Mac now, I won't have enough patience and I'll install Windows/Parallels right away even though Steve might announce some kickass features of Leopard that take away the necessity of Parallels (saving me $80 -- I think). So I'm gonna hold off until WWDC to find out what I should do with a Windows installation.

    Thoughts? Please tell me I'm not the only one who's waiting! (I'm pretty sure I saw that other people were too...)
     
  2. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    Belgium
    #2
    I'm waiting for the same reasons as you are:

    - Ilife
    - Leopard coupon (highly unlikely though)
    - dual boot integration so parallels will become obsolete
    - 13" mbp (hahahaaa !) .... :'(
     
  3. jorasho macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 10, 2005
    #3
    Two updates in one product line within one week would be ridiculous.
     
  4. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 25, 2007
    Location:
    Belgium
    #4
    I know, hence my sarcastic laughter
     
  5. mapple.pro macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #5
    im waiting.

    -because i like to do this to myself
     
  6. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

    Glenn Wolsey

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #6
    On the release of these new MacBook Pro's I changed my mind from the Mac Pro to one of these. I'm waiting till WWDC before I order the following:

    MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 23" Apple Cinema Display, 4GB RAM, 160GB 7200RPM HDD.
     
  7. travistaylor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2006
    #7
    I'm not waiting, but it wasn't because I didn't think it would be worth it. I needed my machine by the 15th, and I didn't think I would be able to get it time if I waited until after WWDC.

    Either way, you guys that wait might get your hands on iLife/iWork 07 before some of us. However, I think it's possible that iLife will be integrated in to the OS, meaning that everyone who purchases Leopard will receive it.

    I will be content with iLife 06 if that is all thats upgraded...
     
  8. pdra05 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne City, VIC, Australia
    #8
    same here--

    iLife'07 is one of the main reasons I'm waiting till after WWDC.. It would be great if iLife comes with the MBP when I get mine later this month!
     
  9. captan macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    #9
    I'm waiting. I mean one more week won't kill me and I don't really NEED it until august anyway.
     
  10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

    Roy Hobbs

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    #10
    a 13 inch MBP would not be an update, it would be a new product.
     
  11. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

    Tadros86

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2007
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #11
    I'm waiting till after WWDC just in case new software is released that would come free with the Macbook Pro, I don't want to get it then iLife gets updated. It kinda sucks that I'll be ordering my Macbook Pro on Monday after the keynote, and won't be able to use it until it arrives in August. UGH!!!! That has to be the slowest ship time I've ever heard of! :mad:
     
  12. kepardue macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    #12
    I also don't see them releasing an iLife/iWork upgrade at the show. It wouldn't make sense for them to do a major product refresh and then 1 week later change up the software that's bundled with it. While that's not necessarily a "product update", it's close. I just don't see it.

    I see what some others are, that iLife, possibly iWork, will be released as Leopard Edition and be released in October with the OS. That's not to say we won't see some of the features of iLife Leopard though... personally I'd love to see tagging be a major feature with iLife and Leopard integration, so that I can tag all of my iPhotos with people, places, and events like Adobe's Photoshop Album allows.

    That said, I'm definitely still waiting until after next week. I want a Mac to be a mobile and desktop 'do everything' machine to replace my Macbook and iMac, and I don't see anything happening to change that. But with four more days to wait I'm reluctantly not going to take the risk.

    Hopeful for the Leopard coupon, but yeah, not likely. Unless his Steveness wants to cut us a break for delaying Leopard until October in the first place!
     
  13. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

    Chef Medeski

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    Location:
    New York, NY
  14. wrxpert macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2007
  15. falsecathedrals macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    #15
    I just decided to get a base MBP over a blackbook.
    I'm waiting til monday night to go up to the wonderful tax free NH apple store incase they decide to release a 13'' MBP by the end of the summer. I don't think my titanium powerbook can last much longer...
     
  16. supz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2006
    #16
    I'm desperately looking for reasons to wait to buy a new MBP. I've got a 1st gen MB that is perfectly adequate and less than a year old. However the LED backlighting among other features in the MBP are so tempting... But I love the size of the MB, so it's tough.

    So, waiting until after WWDC is just another good temporary reason to wait... after that I'll find another excuse to hold off, until either my MB dies or a 13" MBP comes out.
     
  17. klymr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #17
    I am waiting, but not by my choice. I ordered already, but have to wait for that darn 7200rpm HDD. Hopefully, if anything is announced mine will ship with it. If not, I'll be on the phone again with Apple (I am really beginning to like this company) because they are so great and a little chit chat gets you what you want.
     
  18. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #18
    I think you all are silly to think that people that order this week will get the short end of the stick.


    However, I do commend your ability to wait and I really do hope something nice does come out at WWDC. If you can wait, its never a bad idea too.

    Good luck.
     
  19. outlandos macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #19
    I'll wait; maybe a software update or anything...you never know.

    Besides, it's just 4 more days and I don't really need it right now anyway.

    But I don't think we will see anything new regarding the MBP's.
     
  20. kepardue macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    #20
    Here's what'll happen at WWDC:

    Steve will step out on stage, declare that Quicken for Mac is a total disaster, and reveal publicly that Leopard's secret sauce has deployed a limited set up .NET framework into Leopard, and then on stage will step Intuit's CEO saying that they were the ginnea pig for development, and that everybody that orders a Mac from then on are getting free copies of an early-release Quicken for Mac 2008 with complete Windows feature parity!
     
  21. maxp1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #21
    I was going to wait, but then I thought better of it. Just ordered a 15" for me and a 17" for my business partner.

    I can't imagine that they are going to do anything that would effect my purchase on Monday. And if they did I'm sure it would be retroactive. Otherwise they'd have a HUGE number of pissed off customers.

    And if they do I'll cancel the order and place a new one. It shouldn't have shipped by then.
     
  22. thekiller macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Location:
    California :D
  23. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

    DeaconGraves

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #23
    After a lot of thought I don't think I'm waiting anymore.

    The MBP update met pretty much all my needs and I'm likely buying one today or tomorrow. A software update that might show up on Monday will not bother me as much as a hardware update (if I can't beg Apple to give me a free iLife upgrade or Leopard coupon, then so be it. At least I can get the edu discount).

    That said, I'm still weighing upgrading the base MBP to a 160GB HD so that may rending my waiting moot. :p
     
  24. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

    Mr Fusion

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    #24
    I am waiting as well. My reasons are baseless but I am paranoid since good things have always happened right after I buy. No harm in waiting a few mor days.

    :)
     
  25. outlandos macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #25
    QFT!
     

Share This Page