Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
According to my girlfriend it's national bunk day today. So, for the first time in my history, I am skipping school to go hang out with her (though I personally think that she made that up so she could see me today).

What's everyone else doing? Hopefully being good and staying in school. (Young'uns, don't follow my example, it's very, very bad)

Edit: Okay, after doing some reading, I've discovered that 'bunk' is sort of a Rhode Island term, so most of you probably have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. I guess the Friday before a week break is National Bunk Day in...Rhode Island.

From UrbanDictionary.com :
In Rhode Island, to "bunk" is to take the day off from school. Most days before extended breaks are referenced as "national bunk days", despite "bunk" being local vernacular.

Vinny: We have next week off, you know what that means!
Tony: Friday's national bunk day!

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Would that be like senior skip day? I went to school that day *shakes head*.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
every day at college is national bunk day.. oh ****, i'm supposed to be in class right now.. lolz

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
My standard advice to kids these days is to get all the education they can, while they can. But every once and a while its good to take a break so enjoy your skip day. :) Just don't make it a habit!

BTW "Bunk" is also a term my grandfather was quite prone to using. For him it meant some thing was nonsensical or a out right lie. Probably a popular term for the parents of baby boomers, but I haven't heard it used in a long time.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Would that be like senior skip day? I went to school that day *shakes head*.

My school gave us a few "personal" days - since there were so many students that went hunting (I lived in HICKSVILLE USA). I used mine on senior skip day hehehe, my principal loved the idea. Everyone else who skipped that day got some form of slap on the wrist from it.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
BTW "Bunk" is also a term my grandfather was quite prone to using. For him it meant some thing was nonsensical or a out right lie. Probably a popular term for the parents of baby boomers, but I haven't heard it used in a long time.

Yeah, I've heard that usage before. One of my high school english teachers used to use it all the time.

Antares

macrumors 68000

Bunk is also a term related to rumors. i.e. you, "debunk" the rumor about a new iMac being released this Tuesday. "Debunk" being the antonym of the word "bunk."

I also think it was a slang word that I remember hearing. "Aw, that's bunk!"

(I lived in HICKSVILLE USA).

Cool. One of my friends is from Hicksville, OH. It took me a while before I knew she was actually serious about the town's name...

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
an abbreviation

Dictionary
bunkum |ˈbə ng kəm| (also buncombe)
noun dated informal
nonsense : they talk a lot of bunkum about their products.
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.(originally buncombe): named after Buncombe County in North Carolina, mentioned in an inconsequential speech made by its congressman solely to please his constituents ( c. 1820).

Thesaurus
bunkum
noun informal, dated .
See nonsense sense 1 .

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
I wasn't aware of this! Not that it matters now, but it would have been nice to know a few years ago!

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I hear the term "bunk" in the original context of the OP all the time... Anyway, I didnt have to bunk school as I have 2 weeks off! :cool:

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I guess im just another crazy rhode islander.

We used to "bunk of school" and I thought it was a UK saying.

Oh and everyone from Rhode Island (especially those from Newport) are crazy :D

Should point out, two of my closest friends live in Newport and I love the place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.