Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
512.png

If you're interested in having other forum members contacting you through Ping! please post your screen name here in this thread.​

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My screen name is Deleted. Ping took about 3 hours to deliver some messages to my GF the other day. Totally unreliable.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
It's cool that you can use Ping! to send SMS via wifi, in the event that you find yourself in a dead zone.

EDIT: oh look did the OP post his Ping! username?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
My screen name is Deleted. Ping took about 3 hours to deliver some messages to my GF the other day. Totally unreliable.

Very clever. :D

And +1. I started with Whatsapp and went to Ping! then back to Whatsapp and basically they both suck. SMS wins again.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
why ask people essentially to post their phone numbers here? would you like some friends? It could be quite an invasion of privacy for random messages. Especially on a world wide forum with members from different timezones. Do you really want messages 3am from someone asking where the cmd key is on a mac keyboard?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
why ask people essentially to post their phone numbers here? would you like some friends? It could be quite an invasion of privacy for random messages. Especially on a world wide forum with members from different timezones. Do you really want messages 3am from someone asking where the cmd key is on a mac keyboard?

The messages would be more like

"is this faster than MMS for you?
"How is your battery life right now?"
"Are you getting this on a yellow tinted screen?"
"Don't you think the iPhone should have Flash?"

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008

Ping! uses screennames instead of phone numbers. You can also disable the notifications or simply delete the app if the scenario you described happens.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
The messages would be more like

"is this faster than MMS for you?
"How is your battery life right now?"
"Are you getting this on a yellow tinted screen?"
"Don't you think the iPhone should have Flash?"

haha. and; 'how snappy is safari for you on a scale of 1 apples to 5?'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.