Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'm waiting for those 22nm chips coming out in 2011 :D. I actually was thinking about waiting for santa rosa but considering that I'm using a G4 right now, the sooner I get a new laptop the better so I decided I'd just wait until merom and the money for one.

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
risc said:
I have a MacBook Pro here and yeah I'll upgrade it when the Santa Rosa based machines are released. I can see no reason for people to have waited all this time for Merom and then to purchase it when the technology hasn't fully matured. There are enough reasons to hold off for Santa Rosa IMO faster fsb, better wireless, etc.

Yeah, faster, better, etc...and full of bugs...revision A... when it comes the same problems will pop up as last time. Everybody will be saying then ...WAIT FOR REV B....looool ...

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
mikesk8 said:
Yeah, faster, better, etc...and full of bugs...revision A... when it comes the same problems will pop up as last time. Everybody will be saying then ...WAIT FOR REV B....looool ...

What problems? My MacBook Pro runs cool to warm (under load), it doesn't whine, it has never moo'd at me. Shiet I'm sitting here in boxers right now typing with it on my lap. The reality is that a Yonah MacBook Pro was a Rev A, a Merom one will be a Rev A also, and the Merom/Santa Rosa platform will either be a Rev A Santa Rosa or a Rev B Merom depending on who you talk to.

XyliX

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
I am confused when people are talking about the "64-bit issues". Are not the new iMacs 64-bit compatible? If I buy a new iMac will I be able to run Leopard in 64-bit mode or any other 64-bit Linux distribution?

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
XyliX said:
I am confused when people are talking about the "64-bit issues". Are not the new iMacs 64-bit compatible? If I buy a new iMac will I be able to run Leopard in 64-bit mode or any other 64-bit Linux distribution?

You will probably be able to run them, however remember the chipset used in iMacs and Minis previously support Meroms? Thing is Intel released a new version of this chipset for Merom, namely Napa64, the iMac's 3GB memory limit seems to suggest that Apple cheaped out on us again and are using the old chipsets for the new Merom processors.

Hence you don't get the full benefit. The same would probably apply as well if you buy an old Core Duo iMac and upgrade to a Core 2 Duo processor yourself.

You can still run 64 bit apps, but you won't get the full 64 bit memory addressing as it seems.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm waiting for whats after Santa Rosa...this computer has to last me at least 2-3 years :D

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
risc said:
What problems? My MacBook Pro runs cool to warm (under load), it doesn't whine, it has never moo'd at me. Shiet I'm sitting here in boxers right now typing with it on my lap. The reality is that a Yonah MacBook Pro was a Rev A, a Merom one will be a Rev A also, and the Merom/Santa Rosa platform will either be a Rev A Santa Rosa or a Rev B Merom depending on who you talk to.

I am just saying that Yonah platform is working OK right now;) after 9months of fixing problems (both on MBP and MB); adding Meron to Yonah is just replacing one chip (not a super huge change), so there is a chance the overall stability will stay the same. However, Santa is totally new architecture with all new components and I guess that they will be facing the same strange issues (strange sounds, shutting down, overheating, etc.) as before for couple of months.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Chundles said:
I'm waiting for Nehalem.

Nehalem is where its at.

Core Duo owners, have no reason to update IMHO, its just not a good investment.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
So does Penryn, and so on, constitute the Core 3 Duo processors, or are they not out until Q4 2007?

What the hell is Nehamen or whatever its called?

Cheers

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Mac Rules said:
So does Penryn, and so on, constitute the Core 3 Duo processors, or are they not out until Q4 2007?

Cheers

Hush! Do you not think that Nehalem sounds just like a place where Jesus has treaded before? It is certainly not related to hell!

Probably coming out 2008, so it will most likely be the thing for Merom owners to lust for on their next upgrade cycle... if you upgrade so fast :eek:

diego2k7

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2005
Seems like someone is always playing the waiting game around here. As for myself I just got my maxed out Macbook Pro 15" yesterday. I am absolutely thrilled.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
generik said:
How is it then that the iMacs are limited to only 3GB of memory? It is as if the memory controller doesn't understand anything > 4GB!

Can you elaborate on this point for me i dont quite get what u r saying?

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Mac Rules said:

Cheers

[guide]Penryn[/guide]
[guide]Nehalem[/guide]

And btw, Penryn is still based on the Core architecture.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
generik said:
Looking at these roadmaps it does seem kinda demoralising, something better is always in the horizon! :D

I know, it is about enough to drive you crazy- it makes it look like you should always wait just a little bit longer for something else.

AirFoil

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2005
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
generik said:
Who's waiting for Santa Rosa?

Like I've said in other threads, it depends on how compelling the imminent MBP "rev" is. If it's simply a proc upgrade then I might wait until Santa Rosa. For the most part I'm happy with the computing solutions I currently have (desktop for heavyweight operations and iBook for lightweight stuff), so I don't feel I need a new notebook. Sure it would be nice to delegate some of the heavyweight stuff to a portable solution, but I don't need to right now. If Santa Rosa rolls around and I still don't have a new notebook, I'm pretty sure I'll need a new notebook (snappier Leopard performance, etc.), so the decision will be easy.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
dmw007 said:
I know, it is about enough to drive you crazy- it makes it look like you should always wait just a little bit longer for something else.

But, as we all know, if you play the waiting game, all you'll ever end up doing is just that - waiting! Meanwhile, other people will be happy enjoying their purchases. :D

I say buy what you need (not necessarily what you'd "like to have") when you need it, and you should never be disappointed. :cool:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
~Shard~ said:
But, as we all know, if you play the waiting game, all you'll ever end up doing is just that - waiting! Meanwhile, other people will be happy enjoying their purchases. :D

Exactly why whenever I need (really when I want) a new computer I buy one. :)

Unfortunately, it is also why I have not yet owned a Mac for more than one year at a time...... :eek: :D

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You guys realise how long this thread will be by April 2007? :rolleyes:

We know that Merom is supposed to be Intel's mobile processor, so we should
be seeing Merom updates to Apple's notebook line-up from as soon as next week
to who knows when.

Somewhere between March and April Intel will update to Santa Rosa with a slighly
faster FSB and improved wireless specifications.

Along the way, we should also see performance per watt improvements in video cards.

For now, I don't think we'll see so much improvement in speed, but hopefully
we will see some slight improvements in efficiency and operating temperature.

The Penryn platform will be where it starts to get more interesting shrinking
down the Merom processors to 45 nm, but we're looking at earliest Q 2 or Q3 2007 before those chips become available.

The wild card in this will be competition with AMD's quad core processors and the
inevitable battle between Vista and Leopard.

Looking at the big picture, I'd have to say that 2007 will be the year of lab rats
and crash test dummies.

New processors, new wireless capabilties, new video cards and new operating systems all stack up to be one giant Rev "A"

This is why I strongly believe, it's best to buy conservatively, especially when it comes to notebooks.

Buy something to hold you over through the next 2 years without going nuts,
then take a look at what the market has to offer once 45 nm machines are mainstream.

You need to take a hard look at how much computer you really need to
get you through the immediate future, they buy accordingly.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
dmw007 said:
Exactly why whenever I need (really when I want) a new computer I buy one. Unfortunately, it is also why I have not yet owned a Mac for more than one year at a time...... :eek: :D

Heh heh - I'm too practical for my own good. My G4 iMac is coming up on 3 years old, yet it still does everything I need it to just fine - no complaints, no problems, nothing. As a result, I can't really justify buying a new Mac for a little while yet! ;) :cool:

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Here is my list of needs before upgrading:

1. Leopard
2. BF2/COD2 compatible vid card
3. 802.11n
4. Blue-ray / HD-DVD
5. Hybrid HD with RAM in them
6. 7 HR battery ( i already get 5 in my powerbook... 7 cant be that far off and would make for a perfect time for laptop users....)
7. Redesigned Macbook Pro (hate aluminum... sucks)
8. HD Screen
9. 64 bit processor

I don't expect all of these ... just a majority. I mean I already know by Santa Rosa, #1,3,9 are already going to be there. Most likely #7 by then or sooner. Probably #6 too just because its coming soon.... #2 is a wish, wouldn't it be nice to play that on an airplane on a 17" screen (with wi-fi!!!!) #4,5 are new technologies but I expect them to be coming out around that time... just one of them would make it nearly impossible for me to not buy it. So, #1,3,6,7,9 almost certain plus either #4,5 or 8.... or any combination that would make for a killer laptop. If 1,3,6,7,9 are merely out with Santa Rosa... I'll probably wait.... but if one cool technology creeps in... I won't be able to stop myself.

Or when my pb breaks cause its no longer in warranty. Currently it is perfect... so no rush to upgrade... but a bigger screen would be nice 12" is great, but when its ur sole machine... it gets straining sometimes

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
Here's my waiting list:

Room temperature super-conducting electronics.
Sub 1 nano-meter processor technology
Fusion powered fuel cell.
T3 speed wireless connection.
Terabyte+ user interchangeable flash style storage.
Pressure sensitive collapsable screen with holographic dimensional display.
A surround sound system.
Instantaneous start up of the OS and applications (cause who wants to wait?).

Oh, and of course, it has to be no bigger than, say, a wristwatch when closed. And have an aluminum case (just 'cause I like it).

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
~Shard~ said:
Heh heh - I'm too practical for my own good. My G4 iMac is coming up on 3 years old, yet it still does everything I need it to just fine - no complaints, no problems, nothing. As a result, I can't really justify buying a new Mac for a little while yet! ;) :cool:

As long as your Mac performs your needed tasks okay, then there is no real need to upgrade. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
dmw007 said:
As long as your Mac performs your needed tasks okay, then there is no real need to upgrade. :)

Yep. That being said, I do have a checklist of sorts, and when all of the items on it are met, I will indeed buy a new Mac - but I doubt that will happen for at least another year. ;)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
generik said:
You can still run 64 bit apps, but you won't get the full 64 bit memory addressing as it seems.

Out of curiosity, in your mind, how exactly do you see Apple supporting >4GB of RAM in a notebook? Two more slots or 4GB sticks?

generik said:
Hush! Do you not think that Nehalem sounds just like a place where Jesus has treaded before? It is certainly not related to hell!

ROTFLOL, well played.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.