The official "Stacks" troubleshooting thread

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Manic Mouse, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

I thought I'd make a thread for stacks problems and questions.

My first one is to ask if there's any way to exclude items from a stack? I have a utilities stack but also want an applications stack. When I drag my applications folder to the dock it creates a stack but it includes the utilities folder and a lot of other junk I don't necessarily want (like things that are already in the dock). I just want the apps that aren't in the dock and also want to exclude folders (ie: just apps that aren't in the dock).

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

From what I understand stacks needs work, it doesn't really behave as well as right-clicking or hold clicking your applications folder in the dock in Tiger and personally I have only seen screenshots but the fan looks dumb, I would prefer it to be straight, so I would probably use the grid anyway.

There is a program called Todos

http://www.dbachrach.com/opensoft/index.php?page=Todos

that is great and free. I have used it on my Mini but not my iMac. You can turn off what Applications appear in it, but as of yet it has not been tested in Leopard. Not to say it won't work, but it may not. I'm sure they will fix it if it doesn't at some point. Check it out.

3. Manic Mouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

I remember in previews that it was said that you can select a group of items and drag them to the dock to make a stack, this appears to no longer be the case, it has to be a folder which limits Stacks quite a lot...

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Make a folder, drag alias' of the items you want in the stack to the new folder.

Drag new folder to dock

You will have a stack with only what you want in it

5. Manic Mouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Brilliant, thank you so much! :D

6. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Or make a "smart" folder and drag that to the dock.

7. Jsingh macrumors member

A few questions:

Does anyone know how to change the default icon for each stack?

I want to have my application folder in the dock and have it open a finder window with one click, like in tiger. How do you turn the stack function off?

I have a minor gripe about stacks also, its a little quirky when dock hiding and magnification is turned on. Once you click a stack and expand it the dock does not stay magnified and the fan just or grid floats there disjointed from the dock.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

but if you have to make a folder first, you might as well put it on your desktop.

man, i'm not impressed by stacks. it had potential when they first showed it...but at this point it is like a very "pretty" step backwards...

9. mediaholic macrumors newbie

I think David Pogue wrote in his review that you can Command-click a stack and it will open in the finder.

10. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

It would be nice if smart folders would "Stack" their contents in the dock.
    It would then be a simple matter to tag items you want in that stack, using a finder plugin.

Does this work with Stacks? (I don't have Leopard yet.)
    I haven't been able to get this to work in Tiger.

11. H4L macrumors member

H4L

Hi there I'm just wondering how to adjust the size of the icons in the stacks because they're way too big:confused:

12. anjou macrumors newbie

Blank Icons

I have created a stack for my most commonly used applications.

But many of the item's icons don't show properly - instead appearing as blank documents (pic attached). Apart from looking terrible, it slows down choosing which icon to click on.

Anyone else seen this? Anyone have a fix? Thanks!

Attached Files:

13. anjou macrumors newbie

Oops. Scratch that. A reboot after a software updte fixed the icons...

Now if only Stacks had:

* Customizable icons
    * Scroll Bars
    * Controllable icon scaling

...Everyone would love them :)

14. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

In grid view can you set the size of the icons to a fixed size no matter how many items are in the folder? (Maybe in Onyx?)

For instance my Apps folder takes up the whole screen almost when expanded in grid view.

(thread revival! :p)