The *Official* "This is what needs to be fixed" list for iPhone 3G.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Aug 8, 2008.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

Meh, it's a messageboard. Why not? :D This list is based on v2.0.1 of the firmware.

1.) I hit the home button and that delay before the screen comes up is disturbing... much slower than iPhone 2G.

2.) The slide bar sometimes slides jerkily across the screen when you unlock the device. Not completely reassuring (as it was in iPhone 2G)

3.) Some menus take so darn long to populate. Contacts, SMS list, Settings page etc. Contacts should load instantly!

4.) Scrolling lag in contacts. Sometimes it lags, but ALL the time it has that jerkiness to it that doesn't inspire confidence.

5.) Pressing on a phone number should dial it instantly like it did on iPhone 2G. Sometimes I hit e.g. "James Mobile" and there's such a delay before it dials I feel like I didn't even push his name properly.

6.) Safari crashes way too easily. I figured Apple would have fixed this from iPhone 2G, but you open a page like engadget.com one too many times and boom, Safari crashes.

7.) Random call volume icon that appears for a second in the middle of the screen when you're using Safari. Very bizarre.

8.) General speed increase.

What's really sad to me is that the iPhone 2G was fairly limited in how widespread it became, aside from people unlocking. Now we have Apple's attempt to really, legitimately reach out all over the world, and what we get is a REALLY, REALLY buggy phone. iPhone 2G, for me, aside from features we all really want (obvious ones like copy/paste, A2DP etc...) was a solid, solid phone.

I hate to say it, but the iPhone 3G is far more like Microsoft than it is Apple.

Please add your thoughts beginning at #9 on the list...

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Number one is the frequent Safari crashes for me. Especially when used in landscape…

Oh, hang on I still have a original gen 1 iPhone. ;)
    But I think the problem lies in the software…

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

komiothebeat, if you didn't own the original iPhone, #1 might not appear to be an issue to you. I miss being able to hit the home button and swipe my finger across instantly without waiting. You can't do that on 3G. You have to wait a second now after hitting the home button. Yes, it's only a second, but it does affect my speedy usage of the phone...

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

As opposed to the *sticky*?
    Would be useful to have a firmware thread, but to be honest, the sticky covers both software and hardware, even though the title suggests otherwise.

Dupe.

6. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

Fix the calendar application and syncing with MS Exchange.

Number one complaint:

Fix the calendar application and syncing with MS Exchange.

1. Appointments created on the iPhone do NOT get synced with Exchange.
    2. If you create an appointment on the iPhone you cannot invite attendees, you are always meeting all by your lonesome...
    3. Appointments created in Exchange CANNOT be changed on the iPhone. You cannot delete/cancel/modify/add attendees/change the time, date, etc.
    4. Meeting requests are not tied to Exchange, for example if you "accept" a meeting request on the iPhone the meeting email is not removed like it is on all Microsoft platforms. So when you get back to your desktop the meeting request is still sitting in your inbox.

In summary the calendar/exchange sync functionality on the iPhone is so bad it borders on useless.

All of the functionality described above is supported on Windows Mobile phones.

7. michael31986 macrumors 68030

the SMS and contact lag and the alert SMS sound goes off

8. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

DITTO... same problem here.

9. shinenjk macrumors regular

OP:

Agree w/ everything besides 6 & 7.

I've never had problems w/ crashing. But I don't visit memory intensive webpages so maybe that's why. :p

10. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular