The official unlocked iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 2, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I was thinking about buying an official unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple (or 4S or whatever depending on the circumstances), and was wondering what would be the process to get this to work on T-Mobile.

I want the officially unlocked one for the ease of updates, and the fact that I don't have to slow my phone down with JBing.

Would I just put my cut T-Mobile SIM card in there, and then plug it into iTunes and it would activate like my old AT&T one did? Or do I still have to do some tricks?

I also heard that FaceTime won't work as it needs to be able to text a UK number one time, and it just resulted in a bunch of unnecessary charges on your bill. It would be remedied if Apple would allow us to use our E-Mail address like on the iPad or Mac.

2. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i have a jailbroken and unlocked iphone 4 on tmobile.

yes you just cut the sim to fit but DO NOT TOUCH the gold contact or cut anywhere near it.

3. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't recommend cutting the sim, you could ruin it. Instead order one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Cut...WF8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317606241&sr=8-1

That is a micro sim cutter. It is much safer and less than $5 dollars. If not you could ask T-Mobile or Apple themselves for a solution.

4. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I know T-Mobile does have a Micro-SIM available, I could most likely weasel one out of them for free like I have done other stuff at T-Mobile.

5. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

you could cut it yourself no problem. thats what i did and made it perfect fit.

of course i used sandpaper as well haha

or if your tmobile store has the mini sim you could get one for free easily

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just recently I changed plans with T-mobile (Monthly4G) and was able to get a free micro-SIM card. FaceTime can be activated with a free Cydia app called i4MMS.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

wait for the 4S or whatever is gonna be called since you can then have 3G on T-Mo most likely. You would just need to insert your sim and voila.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He doesnt want to JB though.
    So on stock unlocked iphone you wont be able to Facetime or use Visual voicemail.
    And no 3G, just slow 2G edge for data. And with 2G you're stuck with no talk and surf feature either.

9. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I know the limitations of 2G data, as I am already dealing with it on the 3GS. I don't plan to place any VoIP calls or anything that would require 3G really. I use mobile data for simple things like reading the news, transferring money, and checking my balance, which it's plenty fast for.

It is not like Angry Birds or Demolition Master, or even the built in iPod needs a constant 3G connection.

10. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

how do you know that the iphone will run on tmobile 3g network?

oh yea thats because you dont. :rolleyes:

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

oh yeah, who said I did? I think you need to learn how to read...