The Official:Waiting for Penryn MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amrk47, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. amrk47 macrumors regular

    Nov 4, 2007
    Yea so im waiting for the Penryn MBP I figure they will announce them Jan.15 then be available at apple stores a week later
  2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030


    Oct 16, 2007
    apple is going to be the first then because the mobile penryn aren't coming out till next year. i would like to see if they do anything else with the mbp besides the penryn upgrade, which i think is inevitable
  3. amrk47 thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 4, 2007
    it looks like penryns and the new 8700 graphics card I believe
  4. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Wow... 8700s?

    Time to put my MBP on ebay and get that salary sacrifice form ready...
  5. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a


    Oct 29, 2007
    the 13 colonies
    I'm waiting too....I hope we see a 13.3" MBP, though I highly doubt it...I don't have any use for an underpowered "ultraportable" should they come out with that...but I would go for a powerful 13 incher if they came out with it. But if they don't, then I'll just get a 15 inch one...the 5.5 lb weight doesn't bother me, as my current 2004 Pentium 4 Vaio "laptop" is 10 lb :eek: The 17 inch MBP is an ultraportable to me in comparison....
  6. Code001 macrumors member

    Jun 20, 2006
    I'm currently waiting, hoping for the processor and graphics card upgrade. I'm still not sure if either are going to happen, though.
  7. ibinco macrumors regular


    Mar 13, 2007
    Ill join in! Just sold my Macbook pro SR a week ago and awaiting the 15th of January. Im hoping for 8800M graphics and blueray on the macbook Pro. :D
  8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816


    Aug 5, 2007
  9. Nakamura macrumors newbie

    Dec 9, 2007
    Oxfordshire, England
    I hope they don't update it, I ordered mine last week. Its coming to day :). They only updated processor like 3 weeks ago with the 2.6GHz? Its a bit soon for another update?
  10. skuzzy macrumors member

    Dec 1, 2007
    Cape Town, SA
    Not very likely.

    This update is going to happen. New processor, possible chassis redesign. Whatever way you look at it, your MBP is going to be "outdated" come January 15th. Unfortunate.
  11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Dec 6, 2007
    Translation of the "help me sell my December MBP so I can buy the January one" posts:

    I need the newest things, so I'm going to sell all of my slightly older things to keep up with a multi-national corporation!
  12. lavrishevo macrumors 68000


    Jan 9, 2007

    Hardly outdated but not the newest and greatest. Who cares if your a few seconds slower. It is a never ending game. I have had my 2.16 MBP Core Duo for almost 2 years now and it still runs quite fast. You will always have a few who must have the fastest out of an obsession but in reality my almost two year older MBP holds it own fine with the newest one just fine.
  13. jameskohn macrumors 6502

    Sep 11, 2006

    I would hardly call a six month old SR MBP "outdated", any more than the Penryn is going to be "outdated" this summer when the new (Montevina?) chipset is released. There is a difference between obsolete vs. having the latest technology. This discussion gets absurd.

    I'm ready to buy a new laptop now. Since I know Penryn chips are coming out in less than a month I'll wait to get the newer technology. Of course I know full well that within a few months after that there will be something newer.

    Nobody's six month old MBP is outdated. When your computer can no longer perform the tasks required of it, then it's obsolete.

    MWSF: Penryn MBP, graphics upgrade, maybe a cosmetic change. 13" would be great if it's really a full featured "Pro" machine, otherwise 15" is fine (although it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was a bit lighter!). I hope they're available for immediate delivery rather than a 2-3 week lag time.

    Very excited about a new laptop, although my good old 12" PowerBook is running Leopard just fine. Need Intel to run iMovie '08 for AVCHD video. What to do with the PowerBook will be a dilemma!
  14. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020


    Jun 19, 2007
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
    I think that there will be NO update to the MBP come January. I could be wrong but I think this MWSF will be about the 'ultra portable' and the Mac Pro which is terribly overdue for a refresh. Perhaps some iphone news too but I think the MBP update will be March/April.
  15. masse macrumors 6502a


    May 4, 2007
    I don't care much either way. I'm waiting until this summer to buy mine.That way the quality issues that are probably going to plague the next generation might be worked out by then.
  16. Nugget macrumors 65816


    Nov 24, 2002
    Houston Texas USA
    Yeah, I'm on that same flavor of 2.16 MBP Core Duo. It's more than adequate and the only thing I really dislike about it is the fact that I can't put more than 2GB of RAM in it. I'd really like to be able to go to 4GB.

    That might drive me over the edge when Penryn MBPs are released, depending on how they end up configured, but I'm not champing at the bit.
  17. Squonk macrumors 65816


    Mar 15, 2005
    I'm due for a new machine as I've outgrown my trusty PB. The money is in the bank. Here's to hoping for a nice surprise from Steve. If not so much, I'm not sure if I'll wait for summer or jump on a 2.4 refurb. iPhoto and iWeb just crawl when pushing a lot of 6MP photo's around and I'm an impatient person.

    I though about bumping my ram from 1.25GB to 2GB and getting Leopard and iLife 08 in hopes of feeling a small performance bump, but that just seems silly if I'm going to be selling it in the next month or two.
  18. joepunk macrumors 68030


    Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I thought about upping my PB's ram from 512mb to 1.25GB and adding a larger HD. But still have not done so.

    I am still happy w/my current PB, but may decide to purchase a newer MBP in the next year.
  19. jameskohn macrumors 6502

    Sep 11, 2006
    Of course that's possible, but I think it's unlikely. Intel has announced the availability of the mobile Penryn chips as of Jan. 6. Of course that doesn't mean Apple has to adopt them immediately, but it would put them at a competitive disadvantage if they don't. Because penryn will work with Santa Rosa, they won't require a major chassis redesign, etc. I can't think of why Apple would not use these chips as soon as possible but, hey, anything could happen.

    Worst case scenario: Jan. 15th I'm ordering 2.6 MBP. Not a horrible alternative!
  20. Squonk macrumors 65816


    Mar 15, 2005
    I noticed a significant difference bumping up to 1.25GB over 512MB - I was previously paging out all the time. But then I typically have 4 apps running at the same time and when using gmail on Safari and leaving Safari open for multiple days at a time, it consumes ram like crazy.

    I am looking forward to a 4 fold performance increase going to a new MBP. The current 2.2 or 2.4 would be a huge improvement to be sure. But there is that mental barrier about wanting something with at least double the GHz number over my current machine. Kinda silly I know.
  21. dexthageek macrumors 6502

    Dec 7, 2007
    I was going to get a current 15'' Macbook Pro for Christmas this year. But with Intel releasing the Penryn Mobile procs on Jan 6th. And rumors of a MBP upgrade I told my wife not to get it for me. I will admit if they don't upgrade the MBP at MWSF I will be upset because I could of had one sitting under my christmas tree. But with the extra cost for apple hardware I am going to get the best I can for each dollar i spend.

    I would like to see the following for the next MBP upgrade.

    • Penryn Procs
    • Upgraded Video Card
    • Hi-Res available on 15''
    • Larger HD
    • I would welcome a Black MBP as well :)

    We will see....
  22. amrk47 thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 4, 2007
    a lot of people are saying penryn isnt that big of an upgrade for apple to revise the macbook pros
    and that macworld is going to be for the mac pros and the new portable

    i hope theyr wrong
  23. GreyMatta macrumors regular

    Jul 29, 2007
    Me to :D

    I have the pennies in the bank ready for a MBP

    I would be happy with a 256MB card in the low end MBP. 128MB just isn't enough for gaming in windows.
  24. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816


    Sep 18, 2006
    Well they gotta do something big come macworld. The ultraportable is nice, and the mac pro update is needed. I hope they also release a big iphone software upgrade as well that adds some features.
  25. aiterum macrumors 6502


    Nov 17, 2007
    United States
    I'm really hoping for an upgraded video card. In the very least, offer a 512mb version, and have the low end being 256. 128 doesn't cut it any more for anything released recently.

    Also yes I am waiting for January 15th as well.

Share This Page