The Official "waiting for quantum computing to replace silicon" Thread

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Feb 1, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Forget Nehalem and Sandy Bridge... in fact, I say "bah!" to whauffeur-thin silicon altogether.

I'm not upgrading my abacus until Apple comes out with a quantum computer... the "Mac Proton."

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Sounds like a plan!

Qubits are where it's at.

3. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for the computer from the Starship Enterprise. I can't stand these computers with archaic I/O devices. :D

4. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

playing the waiting game, well i tell you this if your going to play this game, i'm going to let you in on something there's always going to be faster and better MacPro down the road technology is not going to stop when you buy this MacPro Proton, i've played the waiting game for 1yr 1/2 with no computer and it SUCKED big time, good luck with this game because you will have plenty of time to figure out whats really the best time to buy a MacPro my answer NEVER ........

5. astrostu macrumors 6502

I'm not waiting "with baited breath," as the saying goes, but I think that once quantum computers actually do make it into consumer hands, it will be one of the biggest revolutions since the transistor ... or maybe even vacuum tubes. Hopefully it will happen in my lifetime.

Of course, most people will only use them for word processing, e-mail, and the internet ... :rolleyes:

6. Bastich macrumors regular

Have you seen Apple's latest keyboards? I get the impression they'd rather do away with them altogether, like on the Enterprise. They just get in the way of people admiring your Mac anyway...

I'm waiting with bated breath for the Home Holodeck.

:cool:

7. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

...It appears my extreme sarcasm was obviously missed. It would be very difficult to run Pro Tools on an abacus... um... the drivers just aren't compatible... and I will be buying a MP in a month or so... AND a Nehalem MP later, AND a Sandy Bridge Mac Whatever after that... I'm poking a little fun at all the "The Official..." threads and having some senseless fun.

And Bastich... yes... I actually do think (like Bill Gates has talked about recently) we're rapidly moving away from keyboard and mouse and toward more intuitive interfaces. Voice interface -- where you can speak in common english (or whatever language) -- is likely next, followed probably by direct brain interface and thought control.

8. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Thank you, Scotty - "Hello Computer"...

"The Keyboard, how quaint."

9. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, and i bet it'd be kind of hard to get under 10ms latency too.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wow, I guess it is true when people say Americans are oblivious to sarcasm :).

Generalisation alert!

11. ksz macrumors 68000

And the computation will finish before it starts, if parallel universes exist and the quantum computer we develop here coordinates with the ones in our closest parallel counterparts.

(Apologies to Michael Crighton, Timeline)

12. kabunaru Guest

When do you guys think a quantum computer will come out? In 2050? When? :D

13. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Next tuesday.

14. newtech macrumors 6502

15. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

... but I'll be damned to order one if Apple doesn't have a QuantumGT card for BTO.

16. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

That remark was just brilliant :p

17. newtech macrumors 6502

This thread is at once both, one, another example of the compleation backwards principal. And, two, an example of the defecation impacting the rotary oscillator.

18. Mac-HD macrumors member

The world stopped a few years ago when a friend of mine bought a monster - it had 4 MB of RAM and a whopping 100 MB of HDD. What possibly one can store to fill up 100 MB - I thought. Lotus 123 used to come in floppies those days - the black ones.

We didn't use the word Quantum that time, but came pretty close to using it.

19. ksz macrumors 68000

Wow, what drivel.

20. newtech macrumors 6502

Precisely the point, this thread is drivel.

21. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

...a speculation thread; a fantasy thread; a pointless drivel thread providing a select few forum goers the opportunity to indulge the inane. A thread so pointless as to become profound and hypnotic -- where all who read it instantly begin to weep unabashed and run gleefully into the forest to gather berries and other nourishing treats, all the while singing joyous melodies to the birds and other tiny creatures who dwell within. My only fear of posting such a hypnotic thread for the whole world to read is that the unsuspecting viewer might become entranced and unable to stop viewing the thread. The long term effects of this are only too obvious: large populations of people clustered around computers, droning -- together lost in a euphoric catatonia. Eventually these computer clusters would coalesce like droplets of mercury into one "supercluster" and from simply neglecting to feed itself, the entire human race would perish -- the result of an impartial thread virus. Although such serious repercussions are pending I choose to release this thread unto the world because I believe in my heart only good can come of it.

22. ianimate3d macrumors member

You mean to tell me you are not going to at least wait for Rev 2? :eek: You early adopters kill me. :D

23. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ha you ever see the spoof commercial for the the PS11.
    it like gets inserted into your nose or something. i have no clue were that was from but i remember it being funny

24. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Anybody know when the Mac Proton will be available in the refurb store? Will the UK prices be in line with US?

Will AppleWorks be available for the Mac Proton?

25. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

hey quick question now.
    can someone give me a website that tell me what the hell you are talking about and all the different models and such, ive herd so many of them like san marcos? kinda forgot