The Official "Waiting for the next MBP" Thread...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adokimus, Jul 17, 2007.

  1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    I don't know if I can really call this "Official," but all the Penryn news is not satisfying my need to talk about the next MBP...

    Here's my situation: I've been in the market for a MBP for awhile now, but I have been patiently waiting for Leopard's October release. Since I've already waited this long, I figure that I might as well wait for the next revolution MBP, iLife '07, MS Office '08 (mayyybe), etc. In the meantime, to tide myself over, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT! The SR update has virtually everything that I was hoping for... 160 GB 7,200 rpm HD, upgraded processor with 800 MHz FSB, LED backlight, 8x DVD/RW in the 15", big DX10 graphics upgrade... etc, and so on. The only thing missing that I was hoping for is a high-res option for the 15". I'm hoping for a WUXGA option to accompany Leopard's resolution independence, but I could live with 1680 x 1050.

    What I want: Your thoughts, predictions, news and rumors about the next release. How long do you think I'll have to wait.. Leopard's release? Christmas? March? Montevina Q2 '08? What hardware improvements should I expect.. Merom XE? Penryn? Any HD or graphics upgrade? A thinner case or case redesign? (I always love thinner, but I'm in the boat of people who think the current design is near-perfect and I hope there are no drastic changes when it's my time to buy). And most importantly, what of higher-res with Leopard?

    Thanks for reading/submitting!


    -Ado
     
  2. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #2
    You won't have to wait untill March, or even Christmas, well, at least for leopard
    I have heard\read all over the place that apple is done with leopard, they are just making final adjustments, so if anything it should be out BEFORE October, as for iLife '07, I have also just heard that it should be coming out soon, possibly at the same time as leopard...
     
  3. ImperialX macrumors 65816

    ImperialX

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #3
    Cool! So that means I won't have to wait too long, right? I'm doing the exact same thing as Adkimas. I'm definitely getting a MBP, but definitely not until Leopard comes out. If iLife 07 comes out, or if the MBP gets an update at the same time it'll be a bonus treat.

    P.S. Leopard WILL ship free with all new systems when released, right? :rolleyes:
     
  4. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #4
    Oh, I should clarify... I know that Leopard is scheduled for October, but since I'm waiting that long, which is about half the time that the buyer's guide predicts for the next rev (186 days), I decided to wait until the next gen MBP to make my purchase. I'm just hoping for a cool update (but mainly just a higher screen res option).

    Thanks!
     
  5. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

    Karpfish

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
  6. flystraightin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #6
    My original plan was to wait until October for Leopard, but I broke and ordered a Black MacBook last Friday. I'm putting in 3GB RAM and a 250GB WD Scopio HD, so its not exactly a base model by any means.

    I do use Photoshop a bit, but other than that, I didn't need the dedicated graphics card of the MBP. Although, all the extras (1.3 megapixel iSight, LED backit screen, backlit keyboard and SR chipset etc) did appeal to me. Saving those 2 extra inches really mattered to me, especially with throwing the thing in my backpack going to and from school.

    I just couldn't resist the new MB and MBP revs. I'm second guessing myself a little bit, just because of these patents Apple is applying for, especially the iPhone-like multi-touch trackpad technology.

    Although, with my educational discount, Leopard won't be very expensive and if I had waited until Leopard, I probably would have convinced myself to wait even longer, until the next revision. I think I'd just be "chasing" the revisions, and would never actually end up buying. You can't compete with an industry that is continuously evolving.
     
  7. kolax macrumors G3

    kolax

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #7
    No - you'll have to buy it.

    joking of course....
     
  8. koops macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #8
    Leopard will ship with new systems after the launch date I'm sure
     
  9. Stetwin macrumors 6502

    Stetwin

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2007
    Location:
    England - Co-Durham
    #9
    I think he was taking the piss, of course after the release of the new Os there going to ship new systems with it, its just logic!

    I'm sat waiting for the next mb and mbp revisions after leopard too
     
  10. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #10
    I'm in the same mindset. Would be cool to have hi-res screen
    option in the 15 when Oct gets here. Maybe a few other tweaks too.
     
  11. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #11
    I'm pretty sure you'll be waiting until next march for a MBP upgrade - seeing as it was done fairly recently, and going on Apple's track record of upgrades you'll be waiting a LONG LONG time...

    Advice: Buy in October when Leopard comes out unless you need it now.
     
  12. L3X macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Location:
    Chesapeake, VA
    #12
    yeah MBP were just updated last month. They will not update them just for Leopard's release. There are other things that need updating...iMacs, MBs, iPods, mini, etc...

    get one now if you need it, otherwise, get one with Leopard.
     
  13. iBunny macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #13
    Meh, I think this past update has been the Biggest update to the MBP since the MBP replaced the Powerbook. So I bit.

    I dont think the next revision will offer anything spectacular. Maybe a 2.6GHz Peryn... But I will bet my bottom dollar that the GPU will remain the same, and the 4GB Ram Limit will also be the same. So meh, I think now is a good time to buy for sure if you need a computer. The next update will be minor minor IMO. But, It will include Leopard, which is always nice.
     
  14. kolax macrumors G3

    kolax

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #14
    As in Direct X? If so, you realise Mac's are OpenGL codex - DX is a MS codex.
     
  15. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #15

    Yes, I realize this. But, if you're into gaming, you're going to want to Boot-Camp it up.
     
  16. JHacker macrumors 6502

    JHacker

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast
    #16

    Seriously just go buy it. You'll have waited for a year for a new update. Then it finally comes out. 6 months later it's outdated.

    I don't understand these people who constantly wait because of rumors of what's to come on an internet forum when the current option is ridiculously fast and offers everything you already want.

    Come on.
     
  17. benxx11 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #17
    I'm waiting for Leopard's release to get a high-end 15" SR MBP since I don't really need it right now.
    I doubt the 15" model will get any update before early next year but i'd really like to see higher resolution for the 15".
     

Share This Page