The "official" word from AT&T on unconfirmed preorders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Ray, Jun 15, 2010.

1. The Ray macrumors member

Okay, here's the scoop:

I placed my preorder through AT&T.com a little after 5:30 AM EST. I got a confirmation page to come up, with an order number, but never received a confirmation email. Also, my credit card hasn't been charged, and the AT&T.com "order status" page acts like my order doesn't exist.

I called customer service at 611 to find out what was going on. The woman I spoke with said she can't access that information, since it was placed online; only the online sales people could find out. She took my order number, and called me back.

Basically, my order did go through, it just hasn't made its way through the entire system yet. I was told it may take another 24 hours to get the confirmation email, and maybe even 72 hours before my credit card is charged and I'm able to check the order status online.

I was also told that my "place in line" is set from when I initially placed the order, not from when they get around to processing the order.

Again, she said the "regular" customer service people do not have access to this info; I was flat-out told that their system still shows that I have not upgraded my phone, and am eligible to upgrade. As far as they know, I never preordered anything, though the online sales people say otherwise.

I'm relieved, though still a bit skeptical. You'd better believe I'll be checking my order status and waiting for that confirmation email.

Another note: AT&T may have dropped the ball on the preorder, and be terrible with a hundred other issues, but their customer service people are exemplary. Not only was she a competent, native English speaker, but she actually made the call to the online sales people herself. She's the one who waited in their queue, not me, and she called back once she got someone, just like she said she would. Her name was Megan, and I thanked her profusely.

Anyway, just wanted to pass this info along. I already wrote this in another post I made a while ago, but thought it was worthy of a new one. Hope this helps those in the same boat I'm in.

2. txjeep macrumors member

Thank you for your post. I was wondering the very same thing.

3. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Thanks for sharing this! My mom is going through a similar issue. No confirmation email but subsequent orders were canceled.

She called AT&T and they gave her an order number and allowed her to change the shipping address to my address (since I'll be home to accept it on June 24), but the CSR said she would have to manually push it through and gave her the official order number.

Order number still won't pull up on AT&T's website and my mom's credit card doesn't show any pending charges (she called them and asked).

Your post here actually gives me hope that the AT&T CSR was right and her order will be processed!

4. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

You are a saint, man. I was on hold when I read your email. But I decided to hang up after their computer quit interrupting every two seconds to tell me how important my call was.

You are helping me sleep better.

(PS I'm sure economics professors are having a field day today watching people beg for a product to be sold to them)

5. The Ray thread starter macrumors member

That's funny...my initial wait time after calling 611 was only 5 minutes or so. Once the rep put herself in the queue for the online sales department, it took about 30 for her to call me back.

6. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

611 was no wait. My rep gave me the direct dial to online sales and passed me off. They get off in 20 minutes so they are probably just trying to clear the lines.

7. codawg81 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the info as u was in the same spit. Tried the aolle online help. Got down from a 60 min wait to 3 mins. Then it pushed me back to 60 mins. DOH!!!!

8. batman75 macrumors 6502

I had a similar experience. I placed my pre-order on the AT&T website around 5:50am EDT. Around 11am I called about the lack of a confirmation or order status, and I was put on hold for 60 minutes at AT&T this morning and then I gave up. I thought it would process and post the order by this evening.

Since the order status wasn't posted by 10pm edt, I placed another pre-order on the Apple.com site. Apple.com gave me the subsidized upgrade price of $299 and a solid delivery date of June 24th in the confirmation email.

I guess I will have to cancel one of the orders - definitely the AT&T one since from what I hear they aren't committing to a 6/24 delivery date. Plus I am annoyed that they can't send any order confirmation when Apple did it in 10 minutes. A lot of people who placed their order after me were getting order status on the AT&T website and I was not. That is mismanagement of the queue in my mind and makes me lose faith I will have priority for a 6/24 delivery even though I ordered early in the day.

9. cmwall macrumors regular

Mr order went through - I can check it's status online and I do have an order number. I never did get an email confirmation, though, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

10. jamanrr macrumors member

same thing happened to me. We should get them on the 24th if that is what your conformation page states.

11. bahlman macrumors newbie

im not so sure about this att not delivering by the 24th. last year there was a lot of speculation att orders would be late, but as it turned out any order placed within 5 days of the first day of preorders was delivered on time. once everything calms down in the next few days, orders are counted and systems return to normal im sure things will be rectified.

12. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I was told "if you think our servers are slow, wait until you try to use your new phone on our network. ahahahahah hahahahaha aaahahahahaha"

Then they hung up. :confused:

lol.

13. shrtmkr macrumors regular

Lol
    I ordered around the same time as you did( 5.30am eastern) and got my order number but never received the confirmation mail. So I gave AT&T a call and explained the same story. The rep. told me the same thing as the rep. u contacted, however it sounded like he just going by the book which is told for every order.

So I gave it another try. The second rep. was seem to be more honest and he contacted the online store dept.(the first one didn't) to check my order number with them and it turned out it wasn't in the system. He told me the minute you put an order in it shows up in their system instantly, and he "guaranteed"( honestly not officially ) that I would not get charged because it didn't went thru.

FYI I pre-ordered another one from apple.com couple of hours ago.
    What a mess, hope it helps.

14. jamanrr macrumors member

I know a core att employee and they looked in telegence and it went through. You could possibly receive two iphones? LOL

15. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Great news. I ordered around 3pm PST today and still no email.
    I just HOPE it gets here on the 24th. :(

16. shrtmkr macrumors regular

that would be nice :)
    Well I can cancel one of 'em if it turns out that way.

17. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

If you placed two orders (one with AT&T and one with Apple), when the AT&T charge goes through, do you suppose they will have figured out by then that you already got one subsidized through Apple and charge your card for a full prince iPhone?

18. martinmartin macrumors 6502

placed an order around 330pst at att's site.

got a confirmation and an order number on the website (took a screen shot of it).

but the system still can't find my order and i never got an email.

i hope my order is 'somewhere,' but im afraid im in the same boat as the op whose order seems to have disappeared.

i havent been able to check my cc yet to see if it has been charged. i hope it has...but im guessing i might be screwed here...

edit: as a 'backup,' i just ordered from apple's site (july 2 ship date)...hoping to get an att confirmation tomorrow so i can cancel the apple order. but im not holding my breath.

can the att system really generate a confirmation and an order # and then totally lose it??

19. The Ray thread starter macrumors member

Well, my order status finally showed up on AT&T's website. The problem is, it's listing the "date ordered" as being 6/16. I placed the order at 5:30 AM on 6/15. Does that mean my place in line is lost, just because it took so long for them to process the order?

20. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

21. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

This is encouraging to see people whom did not have order status before, they now do.

It means things are slowly chugging through.

22. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I show 6/16 too, though they did charge my card. Same deal, ordered 8AM EST on 6/15.

23. mechanesthesia macrumors member

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!
    CALL THIS NUMBER:
    1866-391-0749

Put in your order number then wait for the agent.

What happened with mine is that the credit card didn't go through, so they just had to try to charge it again and it went through fine. Same thing might have happened to you, so just try it!

24. Xierces macrumors newbie

I've been dealing with the same exact problem, I called 611 they proceeded to transfer me to the "online" department since they couldn't find my order(ordered at 2pm est). I was told my order is processing for June 24th and everything is fine despite it not showing up and receiving no confirmation email. I was also told that if there were any delays or problems they would contact me. So hopefully thats the case for me and anyone else going through this.

25. COBRASVT macrumors regular

I was worried too. No conf email...no cc charged and my page timed out b4 I could copy the order number down. I was freaked a little once they said they would be delayed till July.

Checked my order status and it sill had the iPhone from 6/09.

Checked again this morning and the 4 is on there. YAAAAAY!

Still no email or cc charge, but I'm ok as long as it's on the order status. :)