The "OK, I think that press conference convinced me, I'm getting one" thread.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Jul 16, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Before this press conference, I was thinking of the things I wanted to see happen / hear.

1.) I wanted Apple to acknowledge there was a "flaw" with their antenna design. - Well, they stopped short of this, repeatedly making sure we knew that every other smart phone does this, but failing to admit the difference with Apple's external antenna. But they did acknowledge what was happening, which is better than "you're holding it wrong".

2.) I wanted them to announce that a hardware fix was in the works, even if only a coating over the antenna. - This obviously did NOT happen. Though I think they do know they need to do something, but probably don't NEED to implement it this year, and can just make it part of the upgrade for next year's model.

3.) I wanted them to at least mention the proximity sensor problem, and say it was being worked on. - This one was a definitely score! I was afraid it wouldn't be mentioned. But mentioning it was enough for me, cause I believe this can be fixed in software, altering sensitivity parameters, and time-out values and such.

4.) Silly as it is, a free case wasn't something I needed to hear, but it would be nice. - score! free cases.

So, all in all, though I wanted to hear more about the antenna design, I was satisfied with the press conference. I have been on the fence about getting an iPhone (my first smartphone), and this press conference was kind of the make or break for me. And I think I am convinced. I think I'm all in. Just gotta pool up some extra case for the initial phone purchase.

Was anyone else who was on the fence pushed to the "ok, i want one" side of the fence after this press conference?

2. BadMoon macrumors 6502

If you have never had a smart phone then you are in for a real treat! Enjoy!

3. Aaron J macrumors newbie

I have been waiting for the White and will continue to wait. Been reading this board almost everyday, and all the horror stories, but in my real world, everyone that I know that has the iP4 does not have an issue.
    I never denied that their was an issue, I just never believed it was as widespread as it was being made out to be. I have been with iPhone since June 2007 and plan on remaining with it.

...Just hope I can get my paws on a White one and not have to wait longer.

4. lilo777 macrumors 603

I am not sure I get it. You are saying that Apple acknowledged that there is a problem and said that there is no solution for it and this convinced you that this is the right time to buy the phone?

5. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

6. ndgraz macrumors newbie

I've been wanting a second phone to go with my corporate blackberry for awhile. My blackberry is simply locked down by IT and is really only good for corporate email, phone and some Internet access. I can't even look at Google Maps because it requires the download of an app.

I was really interested in the new IP4 and joined this forum to watch and see what everyone thought of it. I've been close to pulling the trigger a couple of times, but finally wanted to see what came out of the press conference. I wouldn't say the press conference convinced me, but there wasn't another reason why not to buy it (like a massive recall).

I placed my order today and am looking forward to enjoying my first iPhone.

7. gridmonkey macrumors newbie

My first smartphone as well... Mine arrived on Monday. You won't be sorry. Phone kicks ass, AT&T has been flawless for me thusfar, and the antenna "issue" is way overblown. Don't think, just do it. ;)

8. big0mar macrumors regular

Yes. Sounds like the OP is now aware that whatever reception issues the iP4 experience are no more a hinderance than those of any other cell phone.

The OP understands that anytime you are dealing with OTA signals, Your experience will not be perfect.

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

Then OT is wrong because as Steve Jobs demonstrated today there is no other phone on the planet (except for iPhone 4) that drop 3 bars when touched by one finger.

10. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

You pretty much nailed it. This is how I see it. I realize the attenuation issue is shared with all smartphones. The external antenna on the iPhone is a double edged sword. It allows for greater reception, but also is vulnerable to more attenuation. If a case alleviates this, and gives me more of the former, and less of the latter, then that works for me. And honestly, as nice as the iPhone 4 looks naked, I'd definitely be putting that sucker in a case either way.

Honestly, for me, the bigger issue I wanted mentioned in the press conference was the proximity sensor. And Mr. Jobs acknowledged it, mentioned it, and said they are working on it. That also satisfied me.

So, all in all, I'm looking forward to my first smartphone (after 7+ years with Virgin Mobile pre-paid!). Will most likely be ordering on Monday.

11. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  12. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

My sediments exactly. Same here on all counts.!

13. solarein macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd get those sediments checked out. :p

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the press conference was a step in the right direction. It was probably a week late, and the consumer reports do not buy recommendation really rattled them.

I do agree with Steve that this was/is getting blown out of proportion but that occurs in this day and age of youtube. My wife has an IP4 and she has no problems with the antenna. She does with the proximity sensor though :(

15. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Well after the press conference I am actually convinced. I'm getting it as soon as it comes to Denmark!

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

For the first time, I think I'll be content to wait until my 3GS contract runs out in May 2011, and wait for the 5th generation iPhone.

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Setting aside the specifics of what was said by the CEO, here's the positive side of things. Thanks to everyone that shared the problems they experienced, Apple was forced to call the press conference. They were forced to pull their head out of the sand. They were forced into a modicum of accountability.

It was my passion for consumer rights that fueled my outspoken posts. My passion for the company I've done business with for years. To send them a message that helped them realize what the end user experience has been like.

Now that they've been called to task, it's up to Jobs and company to do the right thing.

My plan, is to enjoy the iPhone 4 I have, while I wait to see how this plays out. Apple made it obvious that they are buying time until the end of September. If at that juncture Apple decides to make a change in the handset, I will buy the new offering. Otherwise I will simply wait till the next release date.

At the end of the day, if handled right Apple can turn this into a huge PR success.

18. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Yeah, I drove to the apple store and picked it up right after the conference. I use a case anyway. It is a great update from the 3gs. The camera is great, and I love the resolution. I love how it performs over wifi as well, which is what I need.

19. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I was already convinced and am anxiously waiting for a preorder on the unlocked versions in Canada. I'm getting 2 (hopefully 1 black and 1 white). The conference really didn't push me in either direction but I really feel for the frustration seen in Jobs. If you haven't watched the video of the press conference, you have to watch Steve's body language when he announces the free cases....man is he pissed off at having it come to this. This situation is overblown, and the media just seems to love to attack a company that is on top of the world at the moment with the ipad and new iphone.