The one and only thing that bothers me about Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shenfrey, Apr 10, 2015.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Is that the display isn't flush with the glass and is infact embedded further into the watch, meaning there is a gap from the glass to the display. If there was anything I would want in a first gen version of anything, is that, especially after seeing how great it makes things look with the iPhone 5/6 and the new ipads.

Having seen it in the store now, its very obvious and is slightly disappointing.

Thats my only gripe, does anyone else have any? We can't be in love with every thing quite yet surely, needs to be room for upgrades :p

2. DJTJ macrumors regular

is this the "air gap" some people seem to be talking about? Any pics to support? I can't really figure out what that means in my head

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I wonder if they do that because watches typically have thicker glass faces to prevent shattering? I don't know about other people, but I occasionally flail my arms around like an absolute idiot when walking and smash my watch on a doorknob or other protrusion. Scratched but never smashed.

4. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Its difficult to come across in pictures, but yes Air Gap is what I mean. Its nit picky, but it is distracting. Otherwise I cannot wait for the Apple Watch.

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I was just going to say the same thing. Stands to reason the thicker the glass or sapphire is the more resilient it will be to bumps and drops. Well, you'd think so anyway.

6. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I'm sure that, just like every other device iteration, this will come in time.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If you have an old iPhone (Maybe back to 3GS? I don't remember if the 4 or 5 was the first to eliminate it) or an iPad Air (1st gen) then you can see. Basically if you look at it off-center you can see about a millimeter wide gap between the front glass and the LCD. New iPhones and iPad's are fused together, so there is no gap. Basically it means better off angle viewing and better viewing in direct sunlight.

8. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Wouldn't an air gap also increase risk of reflection?

----------

EDIT: Poster above answerd my question pretty much.

9. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I don't think it's an actual air gap. I believe it's just the thickness of the covering, if you look at the Apple site it specifically states that the display is laminated to the sapphire at least. Don't know if that also applies to the glass but I'd guess it does.