Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
I recently switched to Mac when the mini was introduced. I have been working with PC's or equiv. for the last 20 years. I have used all kinds of "mice" during this period. I always preferred the Logitech two button trackball. The last few years I have experienced considerable pain in my wrist and hand. Since using the Apple BT one button mouse, all the pain has disappeared. Also, I no longer notice any inconvenience with the Apple mouse. But then again, as I mentioned in a previous post, maybe I am just getting old.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
The Third Rail of the Mac World

Good to hear! I actually use the one-button mouse on my Wintel machine at work for the same reason. I wonder if Apple has done any long-term effects studies on the comparison of joint damage on one-button and two. I'm sure there would be a clear difference.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
When venturing the same opinion in in the past, my problems were pooh-poohed by others and my RSI thread sunk without a trace. One poster mentioned that it was all in my head... :(

I don't like using multi-button mice at all. It's not a matter of which is best, it's a matter of what suits you.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Im very happy with my Apple BT mouse also and most people love how it looks and feels and the coolness of having a Powerbook with BT put the mouse next to the Powerbook and boom Your done.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
If there were an easy way to scroll with Apple's one-button mouse, I'd still be using it with my desktop. Trackpads are another place where Apple's one-button idea comes in handy. I can't imagine having to try to aim for the button to make sure i pressed right click or left click. Having one large button makes it a lot easier to use than wintel laptops.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
In Your Head

Blue Velvet said:
One poster mentioned that it was all in my head... :(

Oh, it's definitely not in your head. I used to have a Mac at home and a two-button-moused Wintel at work. Since the app I used the most at work was a DOS-based student management system, the two buttons didn't bother me at all (as everything was done on the keyboard).

Then we "upgraded" to a windows-based student management system. Which put me on a two-button mouse 12 hours a day. Within a few weeks, my pointer finger's joints were shot and I bought an extra Apple mouse for the Wintel.

Two-button mice should be outlawed. Or at least come with a warning ala "coffee is hot". ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
jsalzer said:
Oh, it's definitely not in your head.

No, it's in my finger-tips, wrists and the outside of my elbows... far less so since taking a number of precautions.

However, I think the first poster had a point about being older. It seems to have got worse as I've gotten older but maybe that's to do with working more hours than I used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.