Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
IMO, the one major advantage iOS has over Android is iTunes backups.

I still can't find an easy and 100% reliable way of doing backups of my games progress and all.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Android has auto backup as well. Format your phone and watch all your stuff come back

----------

Yeah just like windows is hurting. Lol

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
IMO, the one major advantage iOS has over Android is iTunes backups.

I still can't find an easy and 100% reliable way of doing backups of my games progress and all.
If your game is part of Play Games, it makes no difference what Android device you buy, trade, use. Once you log into your Google account, you pick up where you left off. I do this all the time. If your game isn't in the Play Games universe though, you are kinda outta luck.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I don't think the iPhone has ONE major advantage to android smartphones.

I think the iPhone is just the best all-round smartphone. I have thought about making a switch, but there has always been at least one major hook to every worthy candidate.

Samsung phones have nice hardware specs, but bad built quality and software

The htc one looks great and I like the software. But the camera is just not great.

The moto x I like for its compactness, but it has a bad camera aswell

The Sony z series looks and feels great but is too big and uncomfortable.

Lg phones have nice specs but silly software and bq

Nexus phones have nice software but bad cameras.

Love the lumia phones but wp is just not up to iOS or android when it comes
To the ecosystem.

Etc.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
If your game is part of Play Games, it makes no difference what Android device you buy, trade, use. Once you log into your Google account, you pick up where you left off. I do this all the time. If your game isn't in the Play Games universe though, you are kinda outta luck.

True, but I've seen that this method doesn't work always. I had problems with Asphalt 8, for example. I had a lot of progress and when I restored my phone and installed the game again my progress wasn't restored, neither to my tablet.

This was a few months ago. Don't know if it now works better.

Fortunately, I had a backup using Titanium Backup.

essexman

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
The only serious advantage iPhone has over android is the size. All major android phones are big (esp if you are looking for a good experience) and my dad hates big phones and he for one will not be happy when iPhone goes big. Most iPhone users are happy with the size and I for on one think iPhone should stay with the current size.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I think it has more to do with software than hardware. Companies make accessories with the lightning port because they know all apple hardware (with lightning connector) will behave the same way, send the same information, etc.

On the android since of the fence not all phones support all the same protocols. Also, android is only getting USB audio out officially in Android L.

I don't doubt that.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The only serious advantage iPhone has over android is the size. All major android phones are big (esp if you are looking for a good experience) and my dad hates big phones and he for one will not be happy when iPhone goes big. Most iPhone users are happy with the size and I for on one think iPhone should stay with the current size.

"Most" iPhone users are happy with the size? Really? You think that is why apple went with a larger size and a phablet size too? Because consumers were happy with a tiny 3.99" screen. But you do know you can still buy a small screen iPhone after the iPhone 6 comes out? No one says you have to buy a larger screen iPhone.

I for one am happy to see a larger iPhone and will be buying one. A lot of people are thinking the same thing.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Android has come a long way, but for me iPhone is just so polished and thought out. Its all built in, imessage, facetime, finger print and soon continuity.

With android I would have to download a third party chat client and Skype or tango and make sure the other person has it also. with iPhone its just there.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Android has come a long way, but for me iPhone is just so polished and thought out. Its all built in, imessage, facetime, finger print and soon continuity.

With android I would have to download a third party chat client and Skype or tango and make sure the other person has it also. with iPhone its just there.

You can use hangouts. It's a default app, so if you're contacting another person with an android phone they will have it. The Samsung galaxy S5 has a fingerprint scanner. I will give you continuity though.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
You can use hangouts. It's a default app, so if you're contacting another person with an android phone they will have it. The Samsung galaxy S5 has a fingerprint scanner. I will give you continuity though.

One thing I didn't mention was that just about all my family/friends are on IOS. So in my case that wouldn't matter. I can see it being different for someone else of course.

If I were to switch to android it would be a headache for everyone else.
I guess that goes down as being in the "Ecosystem".

Hangouts does not combine SMS and hangout messages in one thread which is annoying.

I gotta say though from what I've seen the GS5 fingerprint scanner is not nearly as good as touch ID.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
One thing I didn't mention was that just about all my family/friends are on IOS. So in my case that wouldn't matter. I can see it being different for someone else of course.

Hangouts does not combine SMS and hangout messages in one thread which is annoying.

I gotta say though from what I've seen the GS5 fingerprint scanner is not nearly as good as touch ID.

Oh I get you. If everyone you know uses iPhones then it makes sense to stay with one. My friends/family are more of a mixed bag.

The fingerprint scanner is OK. It works and hasn't irritated me enough to take it off. The iPhone 5S is only 4 inches so it is easy to unlock it one handed with your fingerprint. The S5 is bigger and it is difficult to unlock with one hand, although I've seen some videos on YouTube of people that can.

At the moment I'm getting fed up of the lack of TV show content on the Google play store and because of that I've been using my ipod touch a lot. I like the way it works with my ipad. I'm starting to see the benefits of full continuity. I have an ipad air, an ipod touch and an apple TV. My android phone seems to be the odd one out right now and I would not but another Android tablet.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009

The newer versions of Hangouts combine SMS and hangout messages in one thread on phones.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006

Yeah, I know a LOT more people with Google accounts than with iOS devices, and Skype especially works across a LOT more devices.

I liked iMessage when I had it, but it was so narrowly useful...and then it was a pain to get it to stop abducting my texts when I switched to a Nokia a couple weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.