The One Plan from 3 - Grandfathered users!

eish2306

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
so to stop this taking over another thread I thought a separate one was in order

Not anymore, you're limited to 4gb tethering now. If you're on the old One Plan, like me, they'll honour all the other parts, but the tethering has been limited to 4gb, and they'll change your whole plan if you go over it. So be careful if you value your 2000 minutes, as (for me, I got the plan on sale at £15/m) the equivalent priced plan is just 200 mins.
Are you still on the old One Plan? I am dreading the day they force me to upgrade . . . I pay £15 for unlimited data (200gb one month :p [i was living on a boat at the time and had computer issues and kept downloading my online backups . . .]) and tethering in the uk, plus the 2000 min, 5000 three to three calls and 5000 texts - I don't want to "upgrade" at gunpoint to £17 per month for 10% of the calls, a 4gb limit on tethering, and no 3 to 3 min, but in return free calls to 0800 and a fancy new way to manage the costs . . . They can pry my plan from my cold dead hands - and I almost forgot the £17 is RPI linked so it will increase every year - "when stuff sucks #makeitright" ha, look at your new policies three!
how do you know the tethering is limited, I haven't tethered much in ages, but I wasn't aware it was limited?
also its now £17 and the £17 is rip linked so will increase every year :(
There was a huge thread on the Three site about the removal of tethering and the enforced plan changes. Search tethering on the site if you want to look it up.

But I asked in store a couple of weeks ago, basically they'll honour the minutes, texts and on-phone unlimited data, but tethering is limited to 4gb (on all plans, unless you have a limited data plan, in which case its limited to that amount, max 4gb). If I go over the limit, my plan will be changed to the nearest plan at the same price, which for me is a 90% cut in minutes. I don't use tethering that much so its not really a problem for me.
There was a huge thread on the Three site about the removal of tethering and the enforced plan changes. Search tethering on the site if you want to look it up.
I am on that plan. I've had nothing to tell me that my tethering is limited to 4Gb, no official notice, so I'm guessing it's only on new plans? There is nothing under My3 account to show tethering as a separate thing for my account either.

So has anyone been forced off the One Plan for using too may minutes, or has anyone gone over 4gb and been switched? also @peterh988 any idea where the thread is on the three site? I have had a look but can't find it :(

also come july 1st when 0800 go free on all mobiles
Regulator Ofcom will make calls from mobiles to 0800 numbers free from 1 July this year.
how will effect grandfathered one plan users?

eish2306

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
@shandyman I can't seem to see anything about a 4gb limit for tethering, I know feel at home is 25gb on device - thats clearly stated, but the 4gb seems to be well hidden

also how do three know if you are tethering, I remember seeing something about chaining the mac address or ip address of the tethering device (I wanted to tether my kindle when I was in France) to stop them seeing it, but I think it involved jail breaking the device you wanted to tether

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Also, this link. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2014/11/three-mobile-moving-out-of-contract-users-to-new-deals-as-it-axes-old-tariffs

I'm fine until November. Then I'm gonna look at the options. I only used about 30 minutes of voice and 20 sms messages each month over the last couple and the voice minutes were mainly chasing NHs for appointments. Most my calls/messages are FaceTime audio/iMessage. So all I really want is unlimited data. Honestly, even being limited to 4Gb tethering is fine, as I doubt I use anywhere near 2Gb on tethering alone.

eish2306

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/03/18/three-make-0800-numbers-free-on-new-pay-monthly-plans/ said:
Is there anyway I can keep my unlimited Personal Hotspot or “tethering”?

Yes. If you are a customer on The One Plan – the only plan that offers unlimited Personal Hotspot – then you will continue to enjoy unlimited tethering for the duration of your current plan.

At the end of the minimum term of your current contract, you have two options:

1) Continue on your existing contract on a “rolling” basis, with your existing allowance.
My last contract phone was the 4s on launch so 2011, in 2013 I went on the 1year then rolling contract of the 1 plan - from the above it would seem I can stay as I am based on that page on threes website

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
@peterh988 any idea where the thread is on the three site? I have had a look but can't find it :(
This is the thread I referred to

http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/07/15/personal-hotspot-new-sim-plans/

As I said, I was told in store that if I went over the 4gb allowance I would be forcibly changed to a new, £15 plan.

I actually lost out here, before Xmas three rang me, offering me a 32gb 5s to change plans. This too good to be true offer, (why would they give someone a £500 phone to get them off a £180/yr plan?) plus the Indian voice made me think it was a scam, so I turned it down!

eish2306

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
im
I found this. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/11/existing-three-uk-customers-wave-goodbye-unlimited-tethering.html

It only affects if you're outside of the minimum term. If you're still within the term (24 months for me) then it's still unlimited. Once you're outside of that, then the 4Gb limit applies.
I haven't had that text and I am defiantly outside of the minimum term, so fingers crossed, I mean I rarely tether any more, but its nice to know I have it if I ever need it :( I used to like three, if I get that text I would be tempted to go elsewhere but they are still cheep even with this nonsense :( I do feel like they are dishonouring a contract though

eish2306

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Wales
This is the thread I referred to

http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/07/15/personal-hotspot-new-sim-plans/

As I said, I was told in store that if I went over the 4gb allowance I would be forcibly changed to a new, £15 plan.

I actually lost out here, before Xmas three rang me, offering me a 32gb 5s to change plans. This too good to be true offer, (why would they give someone a £500 phone to get them off a £180/yr plan?) plus the Indian voice made me think it was a scam, so I turned it down!
I did see that, but what i find funny is different mods say different things, oh now that you say something I may have had a similar call, but I hung up as I had a better phone, and if you have the money I'm pretty sure its always cheeper to buy form apple and get a sim only contract.

I've probed in store but never got far as they always want to look at my account, i never give name or number incase it prompts a change of contract text