Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
32gb > 64Gb no price increase
64 gb > 128GB no price increase

yet, somehow apple spun that increasing from 16gb > 32gb would have resulted in a price increase. why support this company? especially with the tax evasion when Tim Cook is all about 'social issues' which taxes from his company would help no doubt.

I think in this case, we need a formal apology from Tim Cook himself and to step down as ceo.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

yet, somehow apple spun that increasing from 16gb > 32gb would have resulted in a price increase. why support this company? especially with the tax evasion when Tim Cook is all about 'social issues' which taxes from his company would help no doubt.

I think in this case, we need a formal apology from Tim Cook himself and to step down as ceo.

Well that escalated quickly... A formal apology and resignation of Tim Cook because you don't like storage offerings and their prices? And what do "social issues" and tax evasion have to do with anything? This is like saying that the CEO of McDonald's should apologize and resign because you don't like the different size options for fries. I think you're overreacting a bit. If you don't want to support Apple for ethical reasons (ie. you feel they are guilty of tax evasion) then I understand. But I don't see why the storage issue is the straw that breaks the camel's back here.

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK

You do realise that you are now an outcast from the apple community for having the temerity to criticise their business practices ?
Even though you are right about the storage !

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You do realise that you are now an outcast from the apple community for having the temerity to criticise their business practices ?
Even though you are right about the storage !

He's not wrong about the storage, but requesting an apology and resignation from the CEO? It's just so... Ludicrous! He's either joking or completely out of touch with reality. Maybe a bit of both.

danckwerts

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Richmond upon Thames
I'm intrigued by how much cloud storage people seem to want these days. Does everybody but me have super-fast broadband? Mine is about 32 Mb/sec download but only 1.37 Mb/sec upload – that's about 0.1725 MB/sec, meaning it would take about 1 hour 40 mins to upload each GB. I suppose you could do it at night. Otherwise it's going to slow all your other online activity.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Because there are some things only the devil can offer.

No other company can make Apple-esqe devices the way I like them and integrate them together the way I want them to.

Until then, Apple will continue to get my money.

Reactions: AlphaHumanus

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
The price probably won't increase. Storage is much cheaper in 2016 they're not gonna pinch you for the entry level storage increase as this year it looks like 32/128/256. What they did instead was remove 64 which will most likely be the sweet spot for most users this time around, but since it was omitted and you don't wanna get stuck with 32 they'll expect you to pay the extra $100 for 128. Same way 32 was omitted in previous years.

Reactions: 5105973

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yeah that's not going to happen.
I agree that tax evasion is not right but every big company tries to exploit various loopholes to save on taxation amounts.
But since they found them doing something not approved they should pay whatever it's owed.
[doublepost=1472649937][/doublepost]
This is like saying that the CEO of McDonald's should apologize and resign because you don't like the different size options for fries.

Now that you mentioned it I'm still kinda upset that McDonald's don't offer the super size me option any more.
Ceo should definitely resign :D

Reactions: timeconsumer

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK

You've got it backwards. Apple already sold the higher storage capacities at a huge markup, so by replacing 32/64 with 64/128 they just make a slightly smaller profit from selling a unit of each. Because the value for money argument between buying a 16 or 64 however, getting 4x the storage for just £80 more, they sold more 64gb than ever before, which raised the ASP of iPhone significantly anyway. Also, In the last earnings call Tim Cook specifically said that flash storage commodities were maintaining their cost price from manufacturers, which is why they kept the 16gb last year.

Maybe things have changed , maybe they haven't, but you can be sure that this year we'll get 32gb purely because 16gb is now the breaking point like 8gb once was. Whether they take a small profit hit on that or not is irrelevant, they have little choice to remain competitive.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm intrigued by how much cloud storage people seem to want these days. Does everybody but me have super-fast broadband? Mine is about 32 Mb/sec download but only 1.37 Mb/sec upload – that's about 0.1725 MB/sec, meaning it would take about 1 hour 40 mins to upload each GB. I suppose you could do it at night. Otherwise it's going to slow all your other online activity.

Who brought cloud storage into this? But to address your point, my broadband is pretty fast, but it's not like I transfer multiple GBs to and from cloud storage every day. It's storage, after all. Things accumulate there. If you do have a lot to dump at one time, you just put it into the cloud folder and it will work on uploading/syncing it in the background whenever the device is online. I've never noticed it taking up so much bandwidth that other activities are impeded.

Reactions: wmdunn

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

I truly think this is what we will see.

iPhone 7/7+ respectively:
32GB = $649/$749
128GB = $799/$899
256GB = $899/$1049

Base model stays the same price but storage doubles, the next two tiers each go up. 64GB-> 128GB = $50 increase and 128GB->256GB = $100 increase. It will follow the same exact model of iPad Pros.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Well that escalated quickly... A formal apology and resignation of Tim Cook because you don't like storage offerings and their prices? And what do "social issues" and tax evasion have to do with anything? This is like saying that the CEO of McDonald's should apologize and resign because you don't like the different size options for fries. I think you're overreacting a bit. If you don't want to support Apple for ethical reasons (ie. you feel they are guilty of tax evasion) then I understand. But I don't see why the storage issue is the straw that breaks the camel's back here.
Hang on a few more weeks Tim has to cash in a few hundred thousand more shares of stock first before he resigns. Can't imagine what you will want Trump to do when he doesn't build the wall.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl

Since when are they increasing prices?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

So to make sure I understand, you're requesting a formal apology and for Tim Cook to step down all because Apple used a loophole that increased their profits? Because no other company would do such a thing, right?

As far as the storage capacity, each year storage gets cheaper and cheaper. Apple waits until it is cheap enough to offer it without increasing their cost to make the device. Even if it's only by a couple of dollars.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

I'm not completely sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying that for years, Apple didn't increase the storage capacity because it would lower their margins? Because that is true. Higher capacity chips cost more. But over time, higher capacity chips come down in price. This has happened with computers since they were invented. My grandpa's old 386 machine was pretty advanced at the time but only had a couple hundred MB on the HDD and just a few MB of RAM. The first computer I built when I was a kid had an 80GB HDD and was pretty expensive. Prices come down over time, so every few generations Apple increases the storage. What likely has happened is that 32GB chips are close to the price of 16GB chips a few years ago. But it is true that Apple charges a big markup for going up in storage size. That became less the case a couple years ago when they changed to going from 16 to 64GB for $100 instead of 16 to 32GB. But they won't just increase the capacity before the larger chips fall in price because they want to keep the same high margins and produce good results for shareholders, etc, so that they can continue positive growth.

I consider my internet to be just average and mine is 110Mbps down and 20Mbps up for $60/mo. But then again I have a lot of friends in Kansas City on Google fiber who are always bragging, and parts of my town are starting to get Gigabit from a competing company. At 20Mbps I can upload a gig in just under 7 minutes. It should be faster than that though, because when I run a speed test, it bursts up to around 35Mbps for like 15 seconds before settling down to 20Mbps. That's fast enough to upload a 12MP iPhone 6s JPG + Live Photo in roughly 1.5 seconds. My friends and family on Gigabit with an iPhone 6s, which according to Google's fiber page has WiFi that maxes out around 400Mbps, can upload a 1GB video in 20 seconds and a live photo in a tenth of a second. So yeah, I'd recommend looking into a better internet provider, if possible, before getting cloud storage.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Damn, I wish I could pay .005% tax! Legally, that is. I don't look good in orange or in jumpsuits.
Careful using that percentage figure. Remember was calculated by government officials trying to push their agenda. Who knows how they arrived at that number. Think Tim Cook said they paid the 12.5% mandated by Irish law. Sort of a wide gap their.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Careful using that percentage figure. Remember was calculated by government officials trying to push their agenda. Who knows how they arrived at that number. Think Tim Cook said they paid the 12.5% mandated by Irish law. Sort of a wide gap their.
Hey I'll take the 12.5%, too! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.