Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
If if were a PC forum and "hate" and "Windows" were in the same sentence, there would be consolation posts by other members as the tone shifts from eagerly wanting to help but resigned to melancholy. :(

Sure, or they would say something like "U dnt kn0w Wind0ws n00b, g0 bUy a MAC, they sUck! w3'r3 1337!!"

And lets not generalize Mac users, I don't support arrogance in any situation, I've used a PC for many years (cause I had no money to buy a Mac) so... I can relate to these first switching problems, we should understand and give a straight answer, although, I must admit, to click on that arrow to see the drop down menu was my first thought when I went to save a file for the first time on OSX :) But, everyone's different... ;)

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
It behooves me to make jolly of Windows users who know how to defrag drives and tinker with anti-virus software, yet are unable to exploratorily [sic] click on a little disclosure triangle... :)

luv ya just bunches! xoxoxo

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
I guess, like I said, everyone´s different, what I found extremely logic may be a problematic situation to other people. Anyway, problem solved, usually in Mac OSX there is always a way to reach people's demands :)

I can imagine the mess that would go on a Windoze forum if someone asked how to make all the windows move outside the screen to show the desktop with one keystroke :D

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I read somewhere over the weekend, will have to look it up that there are two ways, one in terminal and another one to set the default so the save window is always expanded. By default it is whichever position you last saved using, however you can set the default so that every new application that you use will use the expanded vs having to be changed. That said anytime you first use an app, click the arrow, navigate and save. Each subsequent time you will automatically get the expanded view.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I guess you just have to unlearn the Windows way of doing things... :cool:

It is comments like this that gives a lot of Mac users a bad name. I stayed a way from Macs for years because the people I knew that used Macs were pompous jack asses. Please don't promote the stereotype.

Agreed with you, this is exactly kind of comments coming out from many Mac users that I've met before. I had used Mac ages ago while in uni, and bought an original Bondi Blue iMac when it was first released.. and stop dreaming of having Mac until recently... there is surely a learning curve when you jump from one system to the other.. it is easier to give a hand rather than giving a stupid comment as the previous poster has done.

Umm... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't unlearning the Windows way, erm... exactly what this person had to do? The advice seemed to have worked:

thanks guys

b4 this i never even realized that blue arrow, i just thought there was the simple "where:" dialog box that shows you a very limited number of places to save something.

guess there's nothing i hate about osx anymore

Not unlearning the Windows would very well not have helped this situation at all!

EDIT: Oops... totally misread - disregard all that...

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Also don't forget you can use the search box to find (via Spotlight) less recently used or obscure folders to save to.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Also, don't forget you can add frequently-used folders to the Sidebar, and they will be available for direct navigation in the open and save dialog boxes.

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
I have to agree with the original poster to a certain extent, but not specifically his problem, though. I am not a new Mac user, in fact, I have been using Macs for over 25 years, and have never owned or worked on a Windows machine.

My problem with OSX related to dialog box navigation is that when opening files from within applications using the "Open" dialog box, the OS never remembers the way you had files sorted, like I always do by date (most recent at the top). It always reverts to sorting by name. It didn't work this way under OS9. I have had people make suggestions to me of how to fix this over the years, but none worked.

I have a lot of other beefs with OSX, but this is the only one that related to the original poster's issue, so I won't go into the others.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I have to agree with the original poster to a certain extent, but not specifically his problem, though. I am not a new Mac user, in fact, I have been using Macs for over 25 years, and have never owned or worked on a Windows machine.

My problem with OSX related to dialog box navigation is that when opening files from within applications using the "Open" dialog box, the OS never remembers the way you had files sorted, like I always do by date (most recent at the top). It always reverts to sorting by name. It didn't work this way under OS9. I have had people make suggestions to me of how to fix this over the years, but none worked.

I have a lot of other beefs with OSX, but this is the only one that related to the original poster's issue, so I won't go into the others.

I have a similar complaint about the OSX Finder. If you modify and then re-save a file to an open folder which is sorted by the modification date, it won't immediately jump to the top of the list, as it did in the Classic MacOS. You have to click within the folder to get it to resort correctly, which often results in opening the wrong file. This is so annoying, since it represents a real step backwards from OS9.

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
I have a similar complaint about the OSX Finder. If you modify and then re-save a file to an open folder which is sorted by the modification date, it won't immediately jump to the top of the list, as it did in the Classic MacOS. You have to click within the folder to get it to resort correctly, which often results in opening the wrong file. This is so annoying, since it represents a real step backwards from OS9.

Exactly. The worst thing a computer can do is lose your work. The second worst thing is make it so your new files don't show up. This one drives me crazy. Also, folders with newly updated files in them won't jump to the top (seemingly randomly), making it hard to locate what you are looking for.

I work on files that may take several minutes to load, and this problem often leads to a lot of time waiting around for the wrong files to load. Can't they make it so the screen updates itself without having to click on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.