Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
The email client... Email on Android is horrendous. I do not use gmail as my primary email address. I have a first.last@me.com where as for gmail, I have firstlast07@gmail.com (not as professional). No third party email client looks or feels as good as the native iOS email client. Images do not render properly and a lot of times, I need to click to show images. On iOS when an email comes in, it will automatically be scaled to fit. Why is it so difficult for there to be a quality email experience?:confused:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That is how I felt, so moved completely to gmail for all of my mail. I have heard good things about sparrow, and gmail is getting exclusive rights to that.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
That is how I felt, so moved completely to gmail for all of my mail. I have heard good things about sparrow, and gmail is getting exclusive rights to that.

I am thinking of doing the same for email.. But I am hesitant. Do you have numbers in your email account? Every iteration of my name was taken for gmail. Finally I added 07 to the end, but I find numbers in email cheesy.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
The email client... Email on Android is horrendous. I do not use gmail as my primary email address. I have a first.last@me.com where as for gmail, I have firstlast07@gmail.com (not as professional). No third party email client looks or feels as good as the native iOS email client. Images do not render properly and a lot of times, I need to click to show images. On iOS when an email comes in, it will automatically be scaled to fit. Why is it so difficult for there to be a quality email experience?:confused:

It could be 91 :) That's what I have after mine. Obviously I have a very common name.

Can you have GMail manage your @me email account? And then it would be invisible to everyone but you. I thought that could be set up by adding your @me to Gmail settings.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

Ahhh..... The email client on iOS is a POS and looks terrible.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Ahhh..... The email client on iOS is a POS and looks terrible.

Lol wouldn't say it's a POS. Rather it's just very basic and simplified even after all these years of improvements. It can still perform its function, and many people still prefer to use it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I strictly use Gmail, and Gmail is > iOS Mail, easily.

-More than just 2 weeks of mail
-Everything is preloaded (literally your entire mailbox). When I go to "Sent" mail in iOS, it takes a moment to load it up first.
-Truly threaded messages
-Much easier to navigate between accounts. This is a sore point with iOS Mail. You either see your entire Inbox, or you have to back out of the account you're in, then reenter another account in order to see "Sent" or other Labels. It's so cumbersome. With Gmail, there are drop down menus that grants access to other accounts, and other parts of your mail. Usually just two clicks.
-Any attachment you want. Not just pictures.
-Individual notification tones for each account, if you want.
-Easily search your entire Mailbox. I mean everything. Chats, Emails, attachments files...

Probably more.

It's a shame the Gmail app on iOS stinks.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Can you have GMail manage your @me email account? And then it would be invisible to everyone but you. I thought that could be set up by adding your @me to Gmail settings.

OP, to elaborate more on this, you can use gmail as an email client. Like Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail found on your computer desktop. It can receive other internet email and send using them. Never tried it with @me.com accounts, but if it works, it would look like this:

Gmail will poll your @me.com email for new mail, download it into gmail. Through gmail, when you send, you can choose to send via the @me.com address.

Seems perfect. Only issue is that GMail dynamically polls your @me.com server for new emails. If you haven't had an email for a long time, gmail might check your server every 45+ min... If you receive emails often, it will poll much more frequently. Saves their server resources, but could be annoying to you.

Worth a try.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Really? iOS email is smooth, everything is grouped together clean, also it looks great. That really can't be said for any Android email client.

Don't know what era you are from but the gaudy colors, shading, and icons of the iOS mail app look like something out of the early 1990s. It also is not grouped well, where are my threaded messages? The Android Gmail app is so much more modern looking with properly grouped messages. It is also much easier to use especially with the introduction of swiping to delete or archive a message.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland

If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks a year you can buy a domain and use Google Apps to use Gmail as your email provider.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks a year you can buy a domain and use Google Apps to use Gmail as your email provider.

This is actually a really good idea. Then you could make it your name @ whatever you want.com

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
OP, to elaborate more on this, you can use gmail as an email client. Like Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail found on your computer desktop. It can receive other internet email and send using them. Never tried it with @me.com accounts, but if it works, it would look like this:

Gmail will poll your @me.com email for new mail, download it into gmail. Through gmail, when you send, you can choose to send via the @me.com address.

Seems perfect. Only issue is that GMail dynamically polls your @me.com server for new emails. If you haven't had an email for a long time, gmail might check your server every 45+ min... If you receive emails often, it will poll much more frequently. Saves their server resources, but could be annoying to you.

Worth a try.
That is what I have been doing for years. Everything is pulled in to gmail. Heck, it is good to do that just for better spam control. But what sucks about using the iOS Mail app is that it doesn't support Gmail's send from feature. This has led me to, when forgetting to switch to the iOS Gmail app or Safari, to reply to work emails with my gmail.com address. Ugh.

Michael

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
That is what I have been doing for years. Everything is pulled in to gmail. Heck, it is good to do that just for better spam control. But what sucks about using the iOS Mail app is that it doesn't support Gmail's send from feature. This has led me to, when forgetting to switch to the iOS Gmail app or Safari, to reply to work emails with my gmail.com address. Ugh.

Michael

Wouldn't that be controlled on gmails side? If you send or reply, it would go to gmails smtp servers first then switch it to whatever email you have listed to send as?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Wouldn't that be controlled on gmails side? If you send or reply, it would go to gmails smtp servers first then switch it to whatever email you have listed to send as?

It is already configured on the gmail side. The iOS mail app doesn't care... it still sends from my gmail address.

The Gmail app--on iOS and Android--does support that. But the Gmail app on iOS cannot be made the default email app.

I don't have to do anything in the gmail app: if I get a work email it is already set to "send from" my work email address (which I can override if I want to). No such ability on iOS--unless I manually setup my work email as a separate account and send from it (which has other complications).

Michael

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The main reason I got an android tablet was to have the ability to email multiple PDF files for work.

Sometimes in a week signal area my iPhone wont send an email (understandable) but if I keep trying the email will vanish into the void between a draft and sent. I'll need to retype the entire thing. Very frustrating.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
On my first Android phone, I didn't like the Mail app. I had a non-Gmail account which is why I used the Mail app instead of the Gmail app initially. I use the Gmail app now as it is much better than the native Mail app on my HTC phone.

What I ended up doing is I just forward my email to my Gmail account and just use the Gmail app. The Gmail app (and Gmail web page) allows you to send emails as if you are using a different email address. This way, I don't have to change my email account. When I send emails from my Gmail account/app, all emails will show my non-Gmail account in the From field.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
IMO the email app (not gmail app) is better than mail on iOS. Many of the OP's complaints can be resolved by applying proper settings.

Mail on iOS is pretty good for simply receiving and sending, but no where close as a full featured client. Email of Android is much more robust.

I use the email app on android with gmail, me, and hotmail accounts.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I hated email on my iphone, I use Gmail. My inbox would shrink as emails disappeared for no rreason. I use the Gmail app on my Note2, works flawlessly

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

1. Images do render properly and scale to fit within the email as of the latest update. (You have to go into settings and enable this. See image below.) You can also swipe to archive or swipe to delete individual emails (thanks to Google's absorbtion of Sparrow email client).

2. Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo or any Exchange Account can be added to populate GMail and seperately AND with unique notifications if you desire. Hell, if you install a ROM like AOKP, you can even have individual LED notifications reminders for each individual account.

Sometimes I really have to wonder if people post new threads because they are trolling or are too lazy to actually look things up. If you have an Android phone that is newer than say 2 years old and at least has Gingerbread OS, you would have been notified by Google you have a GMail update. (This is not a carrier dependent update, however only ICS and JB got the auto-fit messages to screen, swipe messages, attach videos from within the GMail app, new gallery view for photo attachments and pinch to zoom. Gingerbread phones only got performance improvements and new labels.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-11-12-36-01_0.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-11-12-36-01_0.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
1. Images do render properly and scale to fit within the email as of the latest update. (You have to go into settings and enable this. See image below.) You can also swipe to archive or swipe to delete individual emails (thanks to Google's absorbtion of Sparrow email client).

2. Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo or any Exchange Account can be added to populate GMail and seperately AND with unique notifications if you desire. Hell, if you install a ROM like AOKP, you can even have individual LED notifications reminders for each individual account.

Sometimes I really have to wonder if people post new threads because they are trolling or are too lazy to actually look things up. If you have an Android phone that is newer than say 2 years old and at least has Gingerbread OS, you would have been notified by Google you have a GMail update. (This is not a carrier dependent update, however only ICS and JB got the auto-fit messages to screen, swipe messages, attach videos from within the GMail app, new gallery view for photo attachments and pinch to zoom. Gingerbread phones only got performance improvements and new labels.)

I am not talking about using the default gmail app. I am well aware the new gmail app does scale properly. What I am referring to is the other stock email app for non gmail address, hell even any third party email app. I have not seen any that do this besides gmai, aquamail, K-9mail, any!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I am not talking about using the default gmail app. I am well aware the new gmail app does scale properly. What I am referring to is the other stock email app for non gmail address, hell even any third party email app. I have not seen any that do this besides gmai, aquamail, K-9mail, any!

And why does it matter what a 3rd party email app does? GMail does everything and does it well. Why would I want to use a lesser app, that doesn't fulfill my requirements? This is the same rationale I used when I bought my S3.

But you also realize that email clients like hotmail, yahoo, etc... get populated into GMail and because of this, they scale properly? And these have non gmail addresses. Just sayin.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
And why does it matter what a 3rd party email app does? GMail does everything and does it well. Why would I want to use a lesser app, that doesn't fulfill my requirements? This is the same rationale I used when I bought my S3.

But you also realize that email clients like hotmail, yahoo, etc... get populated into GMail and because of this, they scale properly? And these have non gmail addresses. Just sayin.

The only way yahoo iCould or outlook can be populated into gmail is to setup forwarding to a gmail account, then setup gmail to send from one of those above accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.