The One Thing I Want

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mic j, Aug 17, 2015.

1. mic j macrumors 68030

I would be satisfied if there was just some sort of universal search function.

Just last night, we had to go from channel to channel to figure out where this made for TV movie we wanted to watch was located. Was it on iTunes, was it on Netflix, was it on HBO Now, was it on HULU...? And had to use that slow menu method for typing in the search name (acceptable if you only have to do it once).

Please Apple, just give me a way to type in a search criteria and pull up the place(s) it is located.

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yep, this is the one feature I want more than anything in the new ATV...waaaaay too hard to find content.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Maybe if there is an App Store, http://www.canistream.it/ will release an app that links to the appropriate streaming app.

4. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

This is my biggest complaint about the AppleTV and all streaming devices really. The UIs always suck. The AppleTV UI isn't any better, and is in some ways worse, than the UIs that HTPCs have had for many years. Everything is in its own channel/app/menu/etc. I remember being pretty bummed when I got my first AppleTV because the UI wasn't any better than what I was using 10 years ago on my first HTPC.

I want a type of UI that shows everything in a unified manner. For example, when I go to a "Movies" app, I want to see movies from Netflix, Hulu Plus, my iTunes library, etc all in a unified interface. I'd think if anybody can come up with a really good UI for this type of appliance, Apple can. A unified search would be a good start.