The "OneNote" Dilemma, (Cont'd)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jlevi, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jlevi macrumors member

So I have done some research and resolved that when my new Mac comes, I will settle for using "notepad" view in Office 2008... Since I don't want to load Onenote 2003 (the only version I have) onto my Mac if I don't have to... however, I have one principal concern...

Can I take the .one files that were made on my PC and import them into Office 2008 and continue using them????

Someone please let me know!
    Thanks

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

having never used .one files i don't know if they'll be compatible to be honest. but you could possibly just send one of the files to someone who has office and let them see if they can open it.
    /shrug

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Simple answer is no. Buy a copy of Crossover and install OneNote 2003. It's similar to Coherence/Unity mode in VMware Fusion and Parallels. But you don't need windows.

4. jlevi thread starter macrumors member

Whoa! I had NO idea that you had to have windows loaded to run VMWare... that's a dealbreaker, for me. I will check out Crossover ;)

So, does someone want to try to open a .one file?
    If so, give me your email and I will send one over.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What did you think it was?

6. jlevi thread starter macrumors member

I thought it somehow "simulated" windows on your mac so that you could just run windows apps in OSX... I don't know, I guess I hadn't really thought too much about it, I'm new to :apple:

On another note, OneNote files will NOT open in office 2008 for mac. Thank you to PlaceofDis for testing for me.

I'm going to try out Journler when I get my MBP because they claim it's import and export functionality is unreal.... will report back chaps!
    JL

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good luck! and if you'd like me to test out any other apps with it just let me know.

8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You could also try Evernote. It allows you to sync your notes with an iPod Touch or iPhone. Check it out.

9. Rasmoose macrumors newbie

Damn it, I just gave Journler a go, and it can not import .one files :( I'm in the same situation, and I really need to have all my notes on my new MBP (which is pure bliss except for the OneNote issue, btw :D).

10. blodwyn macrumors 65816

With Crossover being free for a short period, you could use that to run OneNote on your Mac without Windows, either on an ongoing basis or during a transition to a new tool

11. sven sundgaard macrumors newbie

I second the Evernote recommendation. I downloaded Evernote on my old computer and transferred over all my One Note notes into Evernote. Then when I got my new MBP I downloaded Evernote and it automatically downloaded all of my notes from their servers. So far I really like Evernote and the ability to use those notes on my iPhone. It's slick.

12. Brammy macrumors 65816

Has anyone had an issue with OneNote on Crossover crashing when you try and insert a file?

13. PhatBoyG macrumors regular

PhatBoyG

Evernote imports OneNote (2003, 2007), is available for Windows, Mac, and iPhone/iPod Touch, and is free. What's left to consider?

14. Brammy macrumors 65816

Right now for me the big issue is the formatting options in EverNote -- the Mac version lags behind the PC version. Tha will change when Evernote releases their next client.

I also like how in OneNote I can type anywhere on the page for a note.

EverNote, however, is fantastic for getting damn near anything into it.

15. Rasmoose macrumors newbie

Can you explain how to get Evernote to import my *.one note archive? I can't select the file when I try to use the "Import" function.

16. kalex macrumors 65816

Install evernote on windows. Click on Note menu, Import OneNote 2007 and Select notebook and let it go. worked fine for me

17. Rasmoose macrumors newbie

Ah. I think you forgot to mention that only the Windows version of Evernote can import OneNote files :) But thanks, I will give that a go. Fortunately, I still have my old IBM T40.

Have a great weekend. Nice to have a place to ask for help :)

18. kalex macrumors 65816

yes import from one note is only available on windows

19. Rasmoose macrumors newbie

All right. Now I've got Evernote up and running, with all my OneNote notes imported. Great.

However, I really miss some of the OneNote features, most importantly the ability to create TABS! Plus being able to write anywhere in the text and place pictures anywhere you want :-/

20. virgomac macrumors member

One note does indeed work quite well with crossover. Does everything I need it to do except be able to use a tablet pad with it.

Does anyone know of an application that lets you use a tablet as seamlessly as OneNote? I've found a few, but the input section is either extremely small, or you are unable to effectively write print with it, as every time you pull up the pen during print it tries to insert that line as a picture box or tries to resize and connect the lines as an overall picture.

Anyway, who's found any good writing software for a pen tablet for the mac?