The Onenote Question (yet again)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Positron1234, May 19, 2010.

1. Positron1234 macrumors newbie

OK, I know there are more then enough of these posts, but i'm just throwing this out there.
    Incase you don't know what onenote is, it's the (best) microsoft app ever written. It lets you take notes in a non-restrictive way.
    I need a MacOS native version of Onenote, that suits my needs below. If anyone heard of/seen one, please tell me.
    I am currently running onenote on parallels.

MUSTS (Will not consider if not offered)
    Write in textboxes, drag around textboxes (write anywhere)
    EASY TO USE (same as MS, at least 10 eqns per minute) equation editor (MUST MUST MUST!!!)
    Draw anywhere
    No Canvas restrictions
    Outputs to PDF (at least)
    Screen capture OR OCR (one of them is required at least, prefereably screen capture)
    3-category organization (notebook, section, paper)
    Someway to backup (I don't mind manually dropping the .one (or whatever) files in another drive)
    Intensive search (in pictures (must) and audio(plus))

Will consider:
    Import onenote files
    iSight Integeration (1.3MP capture on new MPBs is a plus)
    Audio Notes
    Voice recognization
    Both screen capture and OCR
    themed notes
    Nice looking
    Tablet integeration
    Handwritten (Equations is a huge plus)
    Sync to iPod Touch
    Integerations with iChat, PowerPoint, MSN, iMail, iPhoto and iTunes
    More...

I checked almost all of the mac apps, and yet none offers a fullset (most likely just a few) these features...

2. valiar macrumors regular

3. Positron1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually tried out evernote, it's one of the better ones in Mac notebook.
    But...
    No write anywhere
    No equation editor (this is my most wanted feature)
    No drawing
    No OCR as far as i know

4. gmorar macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation as you... Can't find a good alternative to OneNote, which I miss... :(

5. revanmj macrumors member

revanmj

There is going to be a web version of OneNote built into Windows Live. Unfortunately it won't have many features which its bigger brother has. But for me it will be enough.

Some screenshots (they are form SharePoint, but except the header OneNote looks the same in Windows Live): Link, Link, Link

6. juliainor macrumors member

Have you tried Curio?

I honestly do not know if it meets all of your requirements, as my necessary functions are different than yours. However, after trying seemingly every possible OneNote substitute for the Mac, Curio has been my best replacement.

That said, I still miss OneNote. I think it is Microsoft's absolute best product and it's a mystery to my why they don't 1) port it to Mac and 2) publicize it a bit more. I introduced my sportscaster husband to it for game prep and in-game reference purposes and he literally says it changed his life. He's not exaggerating. He's always telling people about how great it is and no one's ever heard of it. It's a shame.

7. gmorar macrumors newbie

Thanks... I'm in the process of trying 3 products (I know, everyone warns that no one is as good as OneNote), and see which one fits my needs: Curio; Soho Notes; and NoteBook 3 (Circus Ponies). I'll post results. BTW, I'm completely new to Mac! ...only 1 day ;)

8. BruceJ1 macrumors newbie

OneNote is included in office online - free!

Onenote is included in the office 2010 online web apps. There is no cost, and you don't need to buy office to use it. It should work just fine on the mac.

9. pspiegel macrumors member

I ended up caving and running VMWARE Fusion in unity mode and it actually worked out QUITE well. I used it for three whole semesters of college and it was'nt bad (well for a MS product tainting my Mac)