The Onion's Take

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jayducharme, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

Here's what the Onion said about the iPad:

http://www.theonion.com/content/infograph/apple_finally_unveils_ipad

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I couldn't care less what the Onion says about anything

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The Onion has its funny moments. This isn't one of them. There have been far better jokes on this forum.

4. WytRaven macrumors 6502

I find this offensive. I remember when I got my first tablet. I remember how annoying it was to have people constantly coming up to me saying "What's that??" or just commenting whenever I took it out. I ended up telling people to "**** off and leave me alone. Do you oh and ah every time you see a laptop in use??".

I am hoping this time around that there will be enough people buying this thing to ensure that the novelty wears off quickly 'cause I'm not sure how much I will be able to take this time around before I discover how good the iPad is as an offensive weapon...

Do you really think that I want random people asking me what an iPad is when I'm just trying to take in a few chapters of a book or an episode of my favourite TV show on the bus on my way to work?

I really hope that Apple does some serious world wide TV advertising of this thing around launch as that will go a long way to minimising this problem.

5. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Meh.. now if they knew the pre order date, I would read it

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

No need to take offense, tech blogs, news organizations etc.. can say whatever they like. Their opinion and 5 bucks at Starbucks still only buys a coffee.

Not to mention those trying to make fun of the iPad will be the one camped out for 3 days prior to the doors opening so they can buy one. ;)

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I appreciate the occasional reminder as to why I have ignored the Onion 100% over the past so many years.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The poster child for the deteriorating social skills caused by too much technology. Seriously, I'm sure most people would find it offensive to be told to f-off if they commented on someone playing with their toys. Life is far too short to react like that...

9. WytRaven macrumors 6502

I would agree if it was the first reaction to someone asking. As I implied, admittedly not very clearly, it was after it happening continuously that I got the ****s with it.

10. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, at first it was fun when I got the iPhone at launch, but then it got annoying fast. Especially since I live in the midwest where there aren't as many people who use Apple products. Now there are tons of people with them and I can blend back in. I'm actually concerned about this when I get the iPad, especially with all the hell-bent haters out there that will probably bother me. It's a tool, and it has a purpose. I can do what I want with my money thank you very much! Not to mention it will be practically free for me, because of my Chegg promotion, I get $285 in giftcards in March for about 30 minutes of work hanging posters on campus. My birthday is also that month and I'm asking for Apple giftcards.

Kinda off-topic: I still do enjoy shutting down the cell phone kiosk salesmen at the mall. They'll try to hassle me and I'll just whip out my iPhone. They shut up every time. Nobody can compete.

11. smetvid macrumors 6502

If the Onion was making fun of Microsoft you would all be rolling on the floor with laughter. Comedy is comedy and it doesn't always make fun of the group you want it to. Sure the onion isn't perfect but it is all dumb comedy. I cannot believe people are getting offended by a satire newspaper. Lighten up.

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

13. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

There seems to be a sense of humour failure on this thread.

Funny stuff, I also enjoyed the 'Steve Jobs up all night designing iPad' article, describes him glueing iPods to a tray!

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have no problem making fun of Apple or Apple products
    But having gone back are re-read the lines, I still didn't find a single one that I thought was even remotely chuckle-worthy

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

So that's a yes to the sense of humour failure then? :D

16. ikimasu macrumors member

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't see the point in telling everyone who posts something that you don't think is funny that it's not funny to you.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

They made a point of saying "hey, I think this is funny"
    My only point is, "ok, but not everyone thinks so"

It is the internet, that's what we do

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

18. scroto macrumors regular

scroto

19. ikimasu macrumors member

Heh ... yes indeed ...

20. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I disagree because the onion is only funny to people who are not funny. The kind of people who share funny email stories with each other and wacky pictures.

I don't know any person who is actually funny to me who has ever talked about the onion as being funny.

It is funny for people with a low level of humor ability.

21. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

I never liked "The Onion" humor...it's kind of bland & stupid.

22. smetvid macrumors 6502

And you telling me to go marry Adobe is funny?

23. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I didn't tell anyone to marry adobe. I told them to marry flash if they love it so much.

Yes that is funny.

24. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Onion is just being silly. Though not in a very humorous way.

25. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

exactly.