The only hope for us matte lovers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael CM1, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The iPhone has a glossy screen, but Power Support had screen covers from day one that were both glossy and "anti-glare" for $15. Hopefully, they can do the same for iMacs and MacBooks, although I can imagine the nightmare of putting such a cover on a 15" MBP screen, let alone the iMac.

Couldn't Apple make a killing by just charging us $50 to do this as a BTO type thing?

2. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

They already have.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/ef.php?category=mb

3. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I just find it weird that they don't even give the option anymore

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

What better way to save $$ on their end, while we shell out $50 or so to "remedy" it?

5. larval macrumors newbie

6. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I would like to give a massive YOU EFFIN' ROCK to Anaxarxes. They also have one "coming soon" for the iMac. My prayers have been answered! The only problem I see is I don't know where to find a credit card big enough to flap that thing down with. :)

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Matte screen, matte screen, wah, wah, wah

The bottom line is that if there were sufficient demand, Apple would still be offering them.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

Eh? What kind of logic is that? I'd wager most MBPs sold in the last few years were indeed matte! That was the only one carried by e.g. Best Buy, that's for sure.

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Very true.

Untrue.

10. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

No. Just no. Glossy was a far, far better seller.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's called business logic and not the crazy rantings from forums such as these. If Apple sold mostly matte screens, they'd still be offering them. People who post on forums are hardly representative of Apple's market.

12. RHD macrumors 6502

Everyone I know (which is quite a few people) who work on laptops all day have matte screens.

13. TESEV macrumors member

TESEV

I'm not too terribly optimistic about them coming out with a version for the new MBP. The iMac has been out for a long time now and they still don't have a version for it yet.

The thought of it tho has my hopes up. I really want the new MBP but the glossy **** is the dealbreaker.

14. bkeezy macrumors newbie

It is so tempting to look past it but I can't. I think I'll go to the apple store with some steel wool tomorrow and try a little "matte-ing" experiment...

15. lucasgladding macrumors 6502

I suspect Apple is counting on third-party anti-glare solutions. Personally, I would look to older hanging CRT filters before anything else.

I'm very interested to know how much the glass helps the rigidity of the system. The extra protection for the screen is a definite plus IMHO.

There are plenty of creative professionals who do not need the matte screen. For anyone deploying to a device with a glossy screen, the new MBP should offer more accurate representation of colors than matte if calibrated correctly. I'll looking forward to replacing my current system with one of the MBPs for my web work. For anything print-related, a secondary monitor that is matte is always an option.

16. magallanes macrumors regular

i am bit curious :does anyone love glossy? Or its only Jobs.

17. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

ME - I Like it :)

(Oh damn you said other than Steve... dangit)

18. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Can anyone explain this please. If it reduces the ultraviolet radiation emitted from the monitor to "reduce the burden on your eyes" how can it be "blocking out ultraviolet light" from the liquid crystals?

The first part of that nonsense suggests that UV comes from inside the liquid crystals, so they are obviously less in danger of outsight UV than of inside UV anyway. The second part suggest that external UV light is blocked away from the crystals which effectively means it is reflected back to your "burndened" eyes unless there is some special filter that turns UV light into smaller frequencies (resulting in a color teinted image).

Some marketing people really lost it. :cool:

19. toke lahti macrumors 68000

In quality logic matte would be the choise.
    But Apple makes bigger profit with glossy, so they advertise it better, so people buy it and in the end Apple has nice excuse to drop matte away.

"Pro choise is no choise!"

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The fact really is that it is a personal preference, and some of us prefer a matte screen. Back on topic, has anyone tried any sort of antiglare film perhaps for a MB or something similar. If so I am sure there are lots of us who love to see a review / pics.

21. magallanes macrumors regular

Amen brother, i wish i can see a photo showing a matte vs glossy from latest mbp and in different places.

22. polar-blair macrumors regular

I do :D

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And most everyone I know with a laptop has a glossy one. So what does this prove? Not a damn thing.

Apparently, Apple's customers do as they are selling laptops like hot cakes. Did you see the numbers Tim Cook presented at the announcement?

Any proof that Apple makes more money on glossy screens?

24. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

I'd love some opinions on this as well.