The only problem with the iPhone appearance...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshelton, Jul 10, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

...is the silver bezel. I was going to try using my phone without the case, but I really don't care for the silver. It sort of makes it appear toy-ish.

I really wish they would design a solid black, matte housing for the iPhone.

Is there any possiblity of Apple designing a scratch proof material to use on their devices? That would make so much sense.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Such as? They have been trying to, but to no avail.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Scratch proof?

I supposed they could make an all diamond casing but that might run up the tab on the iphone a bit.

No phone is scratch proof. No phone is truly scratch resistant. And anything labeled "unbreakable" isn't. Not phones, not cups, tupperware or whatever. Things break or get damaged. That's just life. How one deals with these little disappointments is another story.

The simple fact is - at some point, you are going to get a scratch, ding or whatever on your phone. It's nearly impossible to avoid if you plan on actually using the phone vs putting it in a cotton blanket and then in a safe deposit box.

4. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

For example, the material that Zagg uses for the invisible shield. Surely there is a way to incorporate that material into the production iPhone housings. I realize that there are legal issues, R & D, high costs, and a gazillion other factors involved, but you can see my point.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I really can't.

Nothing out in the marketplace is going to prevent the dings and scratches that make this board so crazy. And even if there was - people would just then avoid cases and mistreat their phone even more to test the possibility and THEN complain when the material didn't hold up.

You have a $700 piece of electronics in your hand - don't treat it like a hockey puck. It's not a hard.

6. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alrighty.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Mine only cost $300. I treat it like I would any cell phone. If it drops, then I don't have a panic attack. As long as it works, I'm fine. If it gets a nick or ding, then I count that as normal use and wear and tear. And I know in a year or so, I'm going to get a new one anyway.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

and I agree and am the same way. Which is why when my BB Curve started looking worse for wear, I decided to just get a new phone.

BUT - I used the 700 figure because of the unsubsidized price.

My phone was only 215 with tax (16gb black) But that's neither here nor there. I respect my property regardless of the cost. And like you said - if/when it gets dinged - it gets dinged. The first is always the worst (like with a car)

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have to say i don't care about scratches at all. for one because most of the time it's in a case so i wouldn't see scratches. secondly it's only a phone albeit an expensive one.

however the general fragility of such a large screen makes me worry. i don't like to bring it skiing or biking or hiking. i usually pop my sim card into my old siemens phone for outdoor activities.

10. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I think that if you first used a fine sandpaper to brush the chrome, you could carefully tape off the phone glass and apply something akin to appliance touch up paint to make it solid black... for your liking, make sure it's not glossy.