The only reason I have a Gmail account...

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Erphern, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Erphern macrumors 6502

...is because I can't make my primary Apple ID my .icloud.com account.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I still find it to be an annoyance.

Yes, I'm aware than an .icloud.com account is an Apple ID, hence the problem.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are right, it has been beaten to death and there's nothing any of us can do, until Apple decides to change things.

3. Erphern thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it's worth bringing it up every so often, even though we don't have a resolution (or much to discuss).

4. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

I have the same problem. I have an an old gmail AppleID that I created years ago. I want to stop using that Gmail account and only use iCloud, but I can't change my primary email to iCloud!

I can create an AppleID from scratch and that account will have an iCloud email address as primary, but I would lose all of my purchases on my old account.

I haven't found a workaround yet.

5. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

It could be worse. You could be permanently tied to @mac.com address that doesn't even exist anymore, with no way to ever change it. I can abandon my purchase history and start over, or keep using a non-existant email address.

Apple does some crappy things with their AppleIDs.

6. impaler macrumors 6502

It's existent. I use my .mac address all the time, and as my primary.

7. cebseb macrumors regular

I can confirm this. That's what I use for my personal emails as well.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean it doesn't exist. I still use my .mac account all the time, and its active and functioning. I hated the .me stuff and while I don't mind .icloud, I'm glad to see .me go. As for .mac, its working as the day I got it way back in the iTools days.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Why don't you log into the Apple site My Apple ID and setup an email alias that you could use instead.

10. Gizmotoy, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Looks like I should have checked back in. I forgot I made this comment. My original .mac Apple ID obviously goes back to when .mac was still a thing. I let my .mac account expire, losing email access (it wasn't free at the time). Then it was replaced by .me, and then iCloud. Emails sent to .me (and .icloud) make it to my iCloud email address, but .mac emails are black holed. Probably because I terminated my subscription before it was discontinued.

I have a different primary email address set for the account, and my email goes there. However, it won't let those with .mac AppleIDs change their AppleID to anything else.

I've read a few others with the issue so I thought it was a widely-known thing, but maybe not.

So my AppleID reads like an email address, but it's one that I can't access, and Apple currently appears to prevent those with .mac and .me AppleIDs from changing them.

See this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5454618 and this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4940086

11. impaler macrumors 6502

I can't change my Apple ID to other than .mac.com either, but I can also use it as an email address.

12. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

That would be a much better situation to be in. Did you continue to subscribe to .mac until .me launched? I didn't and I suspect that's what caused my issue, but I'm not sure.

13. impaler macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've had it since 2000, when it was known as iTools. Kept it through the .mac years, and the MobileMe period as well.