Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowman007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
...Leopard

When will the Apple release the date for the Leopard release. I want a free upgrade. What have they done in the past? Do they announce the date a couple weeks before the OS is released or do they do it well in advance. Please i want to buy a new iMAc!!!

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
If you want it, buy it. There is always something new coming soon. When Leopard comes out, there might might be a new chipset from intel coming.

If you need it, buy it, don't wait

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If you want it, buy it. There is always something new coming soon. When Leopard comes out, there might might be a new chipset from intel coming.

If you need it, buy it, don't wait
Tell me what this new chipset is good sir. I'm waiting for Leopard.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I believe they only give "free" copies of the OS to new Macs purchased after the ship date, not purchased before.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
if you waited until leopard came out, then you would end up with 10.5.0, which would probably have a few bugs/glitches. Tiger is reliable and stable. It would be wise to either get an iMac now, or wait until a later release of Leopard (but of course by then, the prospect of newer iMacs will probably hold you back ;))

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
OP, buy the iMac now if you want it. If you want Leopard for free, then buying the iMac now isn't an option now is it?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
August isn't October. You want an iMac with Leopard. Wait till they're shipping with it. Or wait, here's an idea, buy the iMac and then BUY Leopard when it comes out.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
August isn't October. You want an iMac with Leopard. Wait till they're shipping with it. Or wait, here's an idea, buy the iMac and then BUY Leopard when it comes out.

i second that, thats what i will be doing. just fork out the money. its nothing compared to what you will get back from leopard.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Do you really only want to be able to run Leopard on your new machine. I dunno i'd prefer being to run both OSs just in case. Leopard will not be stable/bug free until after at least 3 patches so you're looking at march next year or something.

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
Do you own any Macs now? If so, like me, it is a no-brainer. I will need to buy the Family Pack ANYWAY to upgrade my current Macs...so buying a new Mac now makes no difference.

(of course, I am in Iraq now, so Leopard will have been out for a while by the time I get my hands on a new iMac...heck, there might be a iMac refresh before then!) :)

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'd say buy your Mac now and then buy leopard when it comes out. It will only be $130, so not that bad. Plus it's not like the iMac sucks without leopard. You'll be fine with Tiger until then. I myself will what until 10.5.1 comes out before getting Leopard.

kayobi

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2007
Similar Question

Hi I am looking to switch from a PC to mac. This is my first post.I have been reading post on this forum for a while to decide on which mac to choose.
I want to get an imac for graphic designing (photoshop). my budget is just above £500.

1)should i get the new imac - will the glossy screen be an issue for photoshop?

2)or should i get I get a 20" old mac because it is cheaper and works fine?

3)If buying an old mac should i buy a refurb and will they come with ilfe08.

4) Will a refurb of the old mac come with leopard if I wait for it to be released later in the year.

I will be buying the mac in november (thanksgiving) in Newyork, when I am on holiday from london.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Hi,

To the original poster, I have until a couple of hours ago been in the same position as you. I bought my first Mac (a new iMac 24") less than 2 hours ago after deliberating for days about the glossy screen, the keyboard, the GPU, whether I should wait for Leopard etc etc.

My advice is to go and buy it now and you can be sitting at home with a silly grin on your face like me!! :D

It's a stunning stunning machine and the glossy display is just gorgeous. The keyboard is a bit odd to begin with but I can type faster on it now than I could on my old machine. I really like it.

As other's have said, Tiger is very stable whereas Leopard will need some time to settle down. I intend to get used to Tiger until early 2008 and then maybe look at upgrading to Leopard. By that time the kinks should have been worked out.

Cheers,
Craig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.