The only thing stopping me from an iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cowman007, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. cowman007 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    #1
    ...Leopard

    When will the Apple release the date for the Leopard release. I want a free upgrade. What have they done in the past? Do they announce the date a couple weeks before the OS is released or do they do it well in advance. Please i want to buy a new iMAc!!!
     
  2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2006
    #2
    If you want it, buy it. There is always something new coming soon. When Leopard comes out, there might might be a new chipset from intel coming.

    If you need it, buy it, don't wait
     
  3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #3
    Tell me what this new chipset is good sir. I'm waiting for Leopard.
     
  4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

    Roy Hobbs

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    #4
    I believe they only give "free" copies of the OS to new Macs purchased after the ship date, not purchased before.
     
  5. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #5
    I have read that people buying there macs 14-30 days before a release of something like the OS, will get a free copy (after the release of course)
     
  6. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

    steamboat26

    Joined:
    May 25, 2006
    Location:
    Arlington VA
    #6
    if you waited until leopard came out, then you would end up with 10.5.0, which would probably have a few bugs/glitches. Tiger is reliable and stable. It would be wise to either get an iMac now, or wait until a later release of Leopard (but of course by then, the prospect of newer iMacs will probably hold you back ;))
     
  7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

    Gymnut

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    #7
    Leave October open for "the Apple" to release Leopard.
     
  8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #8
    OP, buy the iMac now if you want it. If you want Leopard for free, then buying the iMac now isn't an option now is it?
     
  9. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #9
    August isn't October. You want an iMac with Leopard. Wait till they're shipping with it. Or wait, here's an idea, buy the iMac and then BUY Leopard when it comes out.
     
  10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #10
    i second that, thats what i will be doing. just fork out the money. its nothing compared to what you will get back from leopard.
     
  11. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2007
    Location:
    Denver,CO
    #11
    to the OP leopard ships in oct. apple will say th exact date so dont panic and if u really need a mac then go for it nothing holding u back
     
  12. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #12
    Do you really only want to be able to run Leopard on your new machine. I dunno i'd prefer being to run both OSs just in case. Leopard will not be stable/bug free until after at least 3 patches so you're looking at march next year or something.
     
  13. mavherzog macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2005
    Location:
    Columbus, WI
    #13
    Do you own any Macs now? If so, like me, it is a no-brainer. I will need to buy the Family Pack ANYWAY to upgrade my current Macs...so buying a new Mac now makes no difference.

    (of course, I am in Iraq now, so Leopard will have been out for a while by the time I get my hands on a new iMac...heck, there might be a iMac refresh before then!) :)
     
  14. teflon macrumors 6502a

    teflon

    Joined:
    May 28, 2007
    #14
    I don't think there's a new chipset coming out at that time, but Penryn is due in the later half of 2007.
     
  15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #15
    Q1 of 2008 actually
     
  16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

    synth3tik

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #16
    I'd say buy your Mac now and then buy leopard when it comes out. It will only be $130, so not that bad. Plus it's not like the iMac sucks without leopard. You'll be fine with Tiger until then. I myself will what until 10.5.1 comes out before getting Leopard.
     
  17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
    #17
    ^^ i shall be doing the same. and that way, instead of waiting i get the computer now + i get the leopard that can be installed on the rest of my computers.
     
  18. kayobi macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    #18
    Similar Question

    Hi I am looking to switch from a PC to mac. This is my first post.I have been reading post on this forum for a while to decide on which mac to choose.
    I want to get an imac for graphic designing (photoshop). my budget is just above £500.

    1)should i get the new imac - will the glossy screen be an issue for photoshop?

    2)or should i get I get a 20" old mac because it is cheaper and works fine?

    3)If buying an old mac should i buy a refurb and will they come with ilfe08.

    4) Will a refurb of the old mac come with leopard if I wait for it to be released later in the year.

    I will be buying the mac in november (thanksgiving) in Newyork, when I am on holiday from london.

    Thanks for all your help in advance.
     
  19. craig1410 macrumors 65816

    craig1410

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2007
    Location:
    Scotland
    #20
    Hi,

    To the original poster, I have until a couple of hours ago been in the same position as you. I bought my first Mac (a new iMac 24") less than 2 hours ago after deliberating for days about the glossy screen, the keyboard, the GPU, whether I should wait for Leopard etc etc.

    My advice is to go and buy it now and you can be sitting at home with a silly grin on your face like me!! :D

    It's a stunning stunning machine and the glossy display is just gorgeous. The keyboard is a bit odd to begin with but I can type faster on it now than I could on my old machine. I really like it.

    As other's have said, Tiger is very stable whereas Leopard will need some time to settle down. I intend to get used to Tiger until early 2008 and then maybe look at upgrading to Leopard. By that time the kinks should have been worked out.

    Cheers,
    Craig.
     

Share This Page