The optional SSD + Regular hard drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rob.G, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

On the iMac... this $750 or $900 option for the 256 gig SSD plus either 1 TB or 1 TB drive... is that a special combo drive, or two separate drives? I've been Googling to try to find two-in-one drives, but haven't found any mention of them except on the Apple site.

I'm going to order a 27" iMac after the Spring Refresh and want to go this route, but I'd rather not spend $900 to do it when I can order a regular 256 gig SSD for about $400-500, if it's two separate drives.

Anybody know?

Thanks.

Rob

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's two separate drives, but installing one yourself will void your warranty, so there's the catch.

3. The General macrumors 601

installing one will not void your warranty. if, when installing one, you damage your computer or the components cause damage, your warranty will be void.

here are detailed instructions to install an SSD in your iMac:
    http://www.twam.info/hardware/apple/installing-additional-ssd-in-mid-2010-27-imac

4. steve77uk macrumors regular

Incorrect. Genius Bars, Apple Care all say that if you install a HDD in your computer, you void the warranty.

I have a refub with just an SSD with a view to install the hard drive in addition to. They now tell me that I cannot get the bracket myself and they will know from the original serial number that I installed the HDD myself and the warranty will be void based on the original shipping configuration

5. The General, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

The General macrumors 601

Read the warranty. They are wrong. If you are worried that you'll get an uninformed Mac Genius or AppleCare representative, simply remove your modifications before you go to the Genius Bar.

They will have no idea.

With regards to not being able to get the bracket yourself, maybe not from them, but I ordered mine from the website in that link I provided earlier.

6. Rob.G thread starter macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I asked at the Apple Store the other day about installing a bigger ssd in my MacBook Air. They explained very carefully that no, installing it will not void my warranty UNLESS the act of installation OR the product itself caused an issue with the computer.

So I then asked the same question about the iMac -- in this case pertaining to memory, since I will order it with 4 gig and them swap in third-party DIMMs to go to 16 gig. Same response... upgrading it myself won't void the warranty.

Rob

7. steve77uk macrumors regular

It is annoying this, I spoke to several different Apple Employees. I have very specific in what I wanted to do. They said that they would instantly know if any modifications had been made as the serial number tells them of any changes to the shipping condition. Yes, I could do it myself quite easily.

They did originally say yes I can do it as the HDD is a serviceable part, but adding new equipment was another matter. There was also the adding of the sensor etc and the bracket...

I guess I just don't want the hassle of opening it up if I needed to take it in and transfer data etc. There is also the issue of stuff being recorded in the logs and from previous experience, I cannot be bothered to keep reinstalling it every time I need to take it in.

I have since played safe and returned my refurb (gutted as it was pristine) and have bought a CTO with AppleCare.

Just didn't want to take the risk I guess...