The Pain Of Waiting...

Sicarius

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Tennessee.
Ok, so here's the deal: My parents are buying me a Macbook Pro for school (15.4", 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM (1 x 1GB) ), but the thing is, I have no idea how long I'll have to wait. I've never used OS X in any real capacity, (Used a friend's for like 30 minutes), so I'm asking the question: How do I pass the time? What are some good things I should learn about Mac OS X before I jump on the Apple-Train? Thanks in advance guys and gals.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Use Windows ME on a 486 while you wait, and then it'll feel even better when you get the new system...

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
2nyRiggz said:
There are a lot of apps and what have you opened to macs these days so thats not a problem anymore plus OSX is the best thing since the alien quadrilogy release:

agreed.

though, upon seeing the NEW Alien Quadrilogy, I feel cheated.

See they originally had all the discs in one of those unfold, and unfold, and unfold type setups. So to get to a disc, you had like 3 feet of DVD case on your lap.

now they each come in a slim DVD case....

sigh, progress.

Sicarius

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Tennessee.
mmmcheese said:
Use Windows ME on a 486 while you wait, and then it'll feel even better when you get the new system...

I'm running 95 on a 700MHz AMD Duron CPU right now, with like 128 MB RAM, and a 4GB HD.

Thanks guys, is there anything I need to do with it, when I get it, to make it safe, or keep bad things from happening to it? Like, virus-software, etc.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
2nyRiggz said:
Macs are easy to use and basically maintain themselves. There are a lot of apps and what have you opened to macs these days so thats not a problem anymore plus OSX is the best thing since the alien quadrilogy release:eek:

Here are some nice apps to know about...check out apples wesite as well.

http://paulstamatiou.com/2005/12/19/10-apps-every-new-mac-user-should-download/

Bless
What the hell, when did you gain 4,000 posts loose the AMD bitch attitude and learn to spell?

props, seriously, but what the hell.