The Palm Pre is OUT!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Palm Pimp, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

Anyone got handson impressions, especially side by side with the iPhone? Pics/ video would help.

2. hbg macrumors regular

There's a great forum over at precentral.net that has lots of pictures. How do you like it?

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The Pre looks like a great phone. So far, the reviews have been fairly positive.

5. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Are you referring to the iPalm LOL?

6. hbg macrumors regular

They're all out alright- all 5 at each Best Buy, and 30 at each sprint store. The lines were 10 to 30 people at Sprint stores at most- most of them Treo owners upgrading. Big whoop! There were constant lines of 400+ people around the clock all day for both the 3G and the edge iPhone. This is a vastly overhyped launch.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Not even the end of launch day and they've got a new model already? These guys work quick!

"The iPalm LOL; cracking up Sprint customers one city at a time..."

8. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I have actually went to my local sprint store today to play around with the display unit. Honestly it is a very good smart phone overall but it is deffinately NOT an "iPhone killer". The pre is much smaller than the iPhone and more compact, however it doesn't feel as "solid" as the iPhone. The cool things about the pre is that it has a beautifull screen, loud speakerphone, web os is very fun to use with cards and multy tasking, has a good camera. The bad is that the keyboard is kind of crappy and uncomfortable to use, the os is often laggy which is the biggest problem I found with the pre. After using a pre I understand why apple went with running one app at a time, at least for right now. Pre's web os overall doesn't feel nearly as snappy as iPhones os. The only thing that runs nearly 100% smooth is contacts list, and email. Everything else is little to modorately laggy. I'm sure sooner or later palm will improve all the bugs.

Over all it's a great phone and very suitable alternative to an iPhone. But it is deffinately not an iPhone killer.

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have an iPhone 3G. I stopped at the Sprint store today in my local mall and played with the display unit (I was surprised that it wasn't packed) and it is nice to use but the UI is quite laggy compared to the iPhone.

The animations aren't nearly as smooth or fluid as the youtube videos i've seen of the device. It just feels -- sluggish. Even with only 1 app "open" it seemed to have trouble.

I'm curious as to how long the battery lasts. Curiously, they don't even give an estimate under the Details on the Palm web site.

10. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm not sure.

The screen itself is nice, and so is the web browser. But on the whole, the thing feels kind of cheap. The iPhone feels more solid in your hand, and makes the Pre feel like a toy by comparison.

I really didn't care for the keyboard. It's cramped, and useless when you want to use the phone in widescreen mode. Also, copy and paste on the Pre doesn't work unless it's an editable text field. You can't copy and paste text off a web page or email that you are reading, for example. I thought that was an odd implementation.

12. slapppy macrumors 65816

It's out and a big whoopee doo! From the images coming from all over the net, this overhyped phone didn't attract much attention from the buying public. Pretty pathetic turnout.

13. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Yep, anytime people line up to buy your product you must have done a terrible job. :rolleyes:

14. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I just got back from trying it out. And I would be nice to say that is even an possible alternative to buying an iphone. I thought it was kind of a joke given all the hype. Felt like it could break in my hand and the keyboard was painful to use.
    A couple other points...
    • Everyone is talking about the great resolution. And I do have to say the screen was easy on the eyes. However it was a smaller screen than the iphone.
    • I loved the idea that you could background process, but once you have a couple things going it needs to ask if it can quit some things to save memory.
    • Side by side pictures online of a pre and iphone make the pre look tiny by comparison. With one in each hand the size was not very different. And personally I'd prefer the extra height of the iphone to the extra chunkiness of the pre. I couldn't try fitting it in my pocket cause it had the secruity cord attached but I do not think I would be happy walking around with a pre in my pocket.

Very disappointing. It has the same price tag, why would anyone take this over an iphone?

15. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Deathchill. I don't think you read Slappy correctly. Unless you meant to say "anytime people *don't* line up"?

16. DeathChill macrumors 68000

No, I was being sarcastic. He was saying that the line ups were pathetic and I said that anytime people are lining up to buy your product you've probably done something right and certainly wouldn't call it pathetic (the turnout, I mean).

17. Amorpheus macrumors member

18. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I think what he meant was the turnout was pathetic. As in no one turned out.

I think we are all in agreement. I just think you misunderstood him.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes it can, thin slice or whatever thickness you desire :)