Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Hey guys, I just fixed my cMP by replacing a new backplane and using it with HDD for a few days, but herr comes another issue.
I got my nvme to pcie slot adapter, when I trying to install the system(high sierra) with my sm951, it does't finish the whole process of installing, the computer will shut donw and restart when the progress bar at about 70-80%. So I can't get into the system now...If I unplug the install driver and just wait for booting, there will be a folder with question mark.
Anyone knows how to fix this? As far as I know the high sierra should support nvme officially...
[doublepost=1526562950][/doublepost]Oh ****, my bad...
Seems nvme is not bootalbe for cMP, I need a ahci one...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Get a small cheap SATA SSD, install that into the optical bay. Merge the SATA SSD and NVMe into a Fusion Drive, then your NVMe Fusion drive now will be bootable.

zen94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Get a small cheap SATA SSD, install that into the optical bay. Merge the SATA SSD and NVMe into a Fusion Drive, then your NVMe Fusion drive now will be bootable.
Sorry I've never heard that before, how to merge these two ssds? Is it a hardware thing or software? I actually ordered a 1.6t intel s3610 ssd on Taobao, but it might takes 1 to 2 weeks to get here.
[doublepost=1526565523][/doublepost]
Sorry I've never heard that before, how to merge these two ssds? Is it a hardware thing or software? I actually ordered a 1.6t intel s3610 ssd on Taobao, but it might takes 1 to 2 weeks to get here.
And why do I have to put it into the optical bay?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Optical bay is often the easiest connection for adding a spare drive, especially if filling out the four SATA slots. Sometimes can get slightly increased speeds over the SATA slots, but not as drastic as PCIe SSD.

This post is basically step-by-step to setup a Fusion Drive:
https://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/storage-drives/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

This link may also be helpful for Fusion Drives stuck with APFS (not recommended):
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/apfsfusion

zen94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Optical bay is often the easiest connection for adding a spare drive, especially if filling out the four SATA slots. Sometimes can get slightly increased speeds over the SATA slots, but not as drastic as PCIe SSD.

This post is basically step-by-step to setup a Fusion Drive:
https://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/storage-drives/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

This link may also be helpful for Fusion Drives stuck with APFS (not recommended):
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/apfsfusion
Yes, Done now with my sm951 and a 4t hdd, thanks mate!
Will do another Fusion drive when my s3610 arrive, kind of a interesting technology :D
The speed now:

Attachments

• 4E896BEC-569C-490F-A580-302CCBAEB45F.jpeg
    4E896BEC-569C-490F-A580-302CCBAEB45F.jpeg
    669.1 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: h9826790

CreatePro

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
UK
Which slot do you have the SM951 in? if you install it in a 16x slot it will only run at half speed. In slot's 3 & 4 should around 1,500MB/s

Reactions: crjackson2134

zen94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Which slot do you have the SM951 in? if you install it in a 16x slot it will only run at half speed. In slot's 3 & 4 should around 1,500MB/s
It's in the slot close to the graphic card, I think it's acceptable since it is linked with a HDD now, you think the performance should be higher?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
If you do not NEED higher speeds, might be easiest not to mess with it right now. You likely would be able to achieve higher speeds moving it up a slot. Really depends on what you have connected to your system and the bandwidth needs of the other PCIe cards. Might not make sense moving depending on those requirements.

zen94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2018
If you do not NEED higher speeds, might be easiest not to mess with it right now. You likely would be able to achieve higher speeds moving it up a slot. Really depends on what you have connected to your system and the bandwidth needs of the other PCIe cards. Might not make sense moving depending on those requirements.
Oh great, the speed do increased!
It's 12xx/15xx now.
I thought the two slot at the bottom will be x16...

Reactions: h9826790

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Please, PLEASE use the search function and do some reading. All your questions and the problems you have been experiencing have been explored in the past on these forums and ALL your answers are readily available.

Lou

zen94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2018
^^^^Please, PLEASE use the search function and do some reading. All your questions and the problems you have been experiencing have been explored in the past on these forums and ALL your answers are readily available.

Lou
Sorry my bad, I used to post it first then start searching...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.