The perfect Apple keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by armoguy94, May 8, 2009.

1. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

I'm bad at Photoshop but you guys get the point, don't you?
    [​IMG]

I really wish for the 3 user customizable keys, personally I would use the top two buttons for previous/next Space, and the bottom key to switch to my iTunes.

And the trackpad to the right could be used for customizable multitouch gestures, so you can move around spaces easily, scroll with 2 fingers if you have a desktop and not a laptop, etc.

I think it's very important that Apple includes multitouch for desktop users and not just laptop people.

2. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Since the trackpad isn't center-aligned with the screen, I think a display needs to be included under it to really work.

It also needs a number pad

3. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't put a number pad in there cause it would make the keyboard extremely long in length. What if the trackpad had also a small OLED screen and it would be a touch screen for you to turn on whenever you want a number pad or not? Lol very unrealistic but cool idea.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I don't see the point of the 3 big buttons. They are huge and ugly IMO I would remove them, and then it would look much nicer. :)

5. armoguy94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps, but I really would love 4 small buttons somewhere that will switch between Spaces (first button would be the first space, second the second space, third the third space, and fourth the fourth space)... ya kno? But not everyone uses 4 spaces, possibly more, possibly less - that's why it's cool to have them user-customizable.

Or, we can just drop that idea and stick with the multitouch trackpad to handle all that.

6. josh88 macrumors newbie

I like the idea of some customizable tactile buttons, thats original and something i can imagine apple doing. Similar to the buttons you get on some modern synthesizers, which you assign to different sounds/samples etc.

7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Trackpad is great, especially for desktpo users that have been wanting multitouch for awhile, but I don't think the user customizable keys need to be that large. I would take a numpad in place of those things any day.

8. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

You have the F13 to F19 keys that can be set to whatever you want. Use the four above the numpad for your four spaces.

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah that must have been a last minute idea to take up the space in that render haha. but it is very nice - however there are many many Apple keyboard ideas with the multi touch trackpad.

if only

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

I like that you are thinking of new ideas, but I don't want Apple to make what you've rendered.

I'd like to see the left side, then a num pad, THEN a multitouch trackpad identical to the one on the Macbook Pros. That would be perfect, for me.

The current Apple (full) keyboard, with a multitouch trackpad tacked on. *OR* a separate multitouch trackpad with a short usb cable to plug into the keyboard...that would be even better.

11. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

Yeah, usb cabled trackpad with short table-like legs that would let it mount OVER the numeric keypad( which is not used often) and can be moved aside or below when needed. Provide a retractable cable manager inside it.

Or bluetooth operated separate trackpad with nice aluminum base and retractable small "legs". There is little reason to use the mouse in OSX really...

12. akm3 macrumors 68020

This is a cool idea but I disagree with the premise that the keypad isn't used a lot, I use it all the time and it's not like I work in finance or anything.

13. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

not a bad concept...not sure about the 3 larger buttons, seem kind of a waste.

itd be nice if the trackpad could be similar to a touchscreen track pad that you can customize to maybe be a number or use it function likea n all in one app switcher and assignable other things aswell..

:cool:

14. JoshJosh117, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  15. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

i thought about this after the last mock up with the large touch pad on the side of the keyboard. They need to sell a removable piece that plugs in via USB (just a stub plug, no wires). It would have a plug on either side of the pad so it could plug in to the right OR left side of the keyboard. The USB plugs would fold down on the side and have a cover to act as a leg for support on the outside plug. It would have the same metallic finish as the keyboard too. This would only fit the newest apple keyboard (that has the USB ports almost flush on the side) which would make old keyboard owners want to upgrade that as well.

P.S. I just thought it'd be portable too, and maybe it'd fit on the side of a laptop for a larger second touch pad (not sure what you'd use that for).