The perfect bag...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsallgoodie, Sep 24, 2013.

1. itsallgoodie macrumors newbie

I was hoping you guys could help me get on the right track for a tech bag. I'm interested in a backpack, but a messenger bag isn't out of the question.

It needs to fit a 15 inch Macbook and needs a padded compartment for an iPad. It also needs some storage for a charger and I'd like to be able to fit a few books and hard drives in there. Water resistant is a must.

I want a bag that is both functional and looks pretty good, I know there are tons of options out there that work great, but if it doesn't have a decent look, it's not what I'm going for.

A water bottle holder would be great but it's not a deal breaker, same goes for a place for a camera.

I've been recommended the Rush 5.11 Tactical bag, but I'd love other suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

2. zipur macrumors 6502

Been though this, so many bags to choose from it drives you nuts.
    Here's what I landed on and I absolutely endorse as a great backpack.

Northface will last you years, good for your back, big zippers, adjustable straps, lots of pockets, water resistant, padded laptop pouch. They even have a version that has a backup battery pack built in. YouTube Northface backpacks.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-daypacks#1380054001038

3. itsallgoodie thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there room for an iPad Mini and a MBP?

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Give us ideas of what looks good to you and what doesn't look good to you. This is a highly subjective matter and you can't just assume that your aesthetic preferences are the same as everyone else's. What are you specifically looking for with regard to aesthetics?

5. JonDziok macrumors newbie

You should really look into the Oakley Kitchen Sink. It's the bee's knees of backpacks and looks amazing. You can probably pick one up for $75 at the Oakley Vault (google it) or suffer the $200 MSRP from online retailers since the bag is roughly 3+ years old.

http://www.freestylextreme.com/us/oakley-black-kitchen-sink-backpack/p?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=feed1&gclid=CJ33lv2A57kCFQik4Aodk2YAbQ

6. JonDziok macrumors newbie

Also, EVERYTHING produced and sold by L.L. Bean has a lifetime warranty, so if you're a strap-tugger, then you should be looking in that direction.

7. zipur macrumors 6502

Yes plenty in fact most current backpacks have padded sleeves for Laptop and Tablet, You can see the North face Recon version at Dick's Sporting Goods If you have one locally. But as stated above what I like may not work for you. Also the Swiss Army Backpack are pretty well build.

Also I heard LLBean is changed the return policy LINK HERE

8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have two Timbuk2 bags, a Commuter and a Messenger bag that I use with MBP and iPad sleeves that is rather inconspicuous. Sometimes, I'm going to a place that I don't want everyone to know what I'm carrying.

9. itsallgoodie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm a minimalist, and a web designer, so something simple, with no flashy colors. I know bags start to get expensive when you start going with more 'design' focused bags from smaller companies, but I'm not opposed to them either.

10. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I have a Swissgear Synergy and it has a padded area for both a MacBook and an iPad. The one I would put the iPad in isn't as padded for it, but since you mentioned it's an iPad Mini, there's a pocket that is more padded that would fit that. I can fit a couple textbooks, my MacBook 13", a binder, and a few other things in it. A lot of room and the straps are made to reduce back strain. I personally use the pocket that the iPad would fit in for my Wacom Bamboo Pen, and it fits in there fine with a pair of Sennheiser headphones. Here is the Best Buy link. Good price, too.

11. Spacial macrumors 6502

I prefer a quality backpack as it leaves both hands free when moving through the airport. Tom Bihn makes exceptional products with sizes specifically for Apple Laptops. The quality is second to none, the durability very impressive. Smooth zippers and a very well thought out design.

Here's the link:
    http://www.tombihn.com/backpacks/TB0111.html

12. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

13. antonrod macrumors newbie

14. NukeIT macrumors regular

15. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

16. Flyin Ryan macrumors member

Incase fanboy here. Since buying a sleeve for my iBook years ago I've always stuck with them and have never been let down. I currently use this messenger to lug around my iPad and 13" MBP. Plenty of space for a mouse, charger, papers, etc.

[​IMG]

Their current line is a bit more fashionable and business-like.

[​IMG]

17. antonrod macrumors newbie

C6 Laptop bag

So nice, and very simple but still stylish

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I like the Brenthaven and Targus backpacks. Basic, simple black. Durable fabric but light. Plenty of pockets to organize things. I carry both my iPad, 15" cMBP, and chargers and other stuff with no problem.